Brake squeal solved

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Knock on wood, even after the Hawk HPS 5.0's which are supposed to be noisy, I have never heard my brakes, stock or upgraded. Silent as a mouse. What gives?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by UCLAG37
Update: After 7 months of squeal-free bliss, the squeal has returned when backing up. I'm at a loss for what the long term solution may be. I don't know if there is a design issue, brake dust build up, hardware warping, lubricant desiccation or something else. In general there does seem to be more brake pad "play" compared to other cars that I've owned.

In the next month or two, I will inspect the brakes, clean and re-lube it and see how long I can go before the squeal returns.

UCLAg37
Consider what the brake lubricant on the pads goes through in 7 months as far as heat cycling, exposure to the elements, brake dust and wheel cleaning chemicals. It wasn't going to last forever. This is why the factory brakes use a 2 piece shim where the brake lubricant is sandwiched between the 2 pieces. Fortunately, it's as simple as cleaning it and adding more lube.

i use 3M copper anti sieze, which seems to hold up rather well between brake jobs. You might also try carlson quietglide brake hardware. Contact side is PTFE coated and the back is rubberized. They're pretty excellent at knocking out difficult brake noise
Old 01-05-2017, 01:54 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
i changed my front pads couple months ago. no squeal. i use stop tech pads they come with all new hardware. anyone need the old oem hardware shims etc? i still have mine if anyone want to buy it for the sport brakes
Old 01-05-2017, 06:26 PM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
Consider what the brake lubricant on the pads goes through in 7 months as far as heat cycling, exposure to the elements, brake dust and wheel cleaning chemicals. It wasn't going to last forever. This is why the factory brakes use a 2 piece shim where the brake lubricant is sandwiched between the 2 pieces. Fortunately, it's as simple as cleaning it and adding more lube.

i use 3M copper anti sieze, which seems to hold up rather well between brake jobs. You might also try carlson quietglide brake hardware. Contact side is PTFE coated and the back is rubberized. They're pretty excellent at knocking out difficult brake noise
I've never had a persistent brake squeal on any of my previous vehicles except for one vehicle that had a known OEM rotor glazing issue. The fact that most of us only get the squeal when the car is in reverse tells me there is some other issue at play, not to mention a TSB which didn't resolve the issue in the long term. I would venture a guess and say most people with well maintained cars such as mine, would not hear brake squealing after only 7 months of "normal" driving (7K miles) and exposure to the elements. In fact, in all my previous cars, I only removed the wheels for deep cleaning and pad and rotor replacement, not for brake noise.

I have a set of Carlson Quietglide hardware which I will try when my current hardware needs replacement. The Quietglide seems rather flimsy compared to the OEM hardware but I won't cast judgement on the performance until I give it a run.

UCLAg37
Old 03-03-2018, 11:46 AM
wongster12
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After many months of scouring the internet boards for an answer, I should of just followed the OP! My front brakes have been squealing to the point of embarrassment. I had my pads checked a few times and there was over half of the pad remaining. I really didn't want to pay for a full brake job so I decided to just replace my front pads with Akebonos ASP1347/ASP1346. It took care for the squealing and I was happy. I couldn't leave good enough alone and decided to replace the rear pads too. Well, it start squealing! I reinstalled them a couple of times making sure I clean everything. No luck!. Then I gave it one last go and put the original shims on the Akebonos. Lo and behold the squealing has stopped. It has been one week and I hope it sticks. The reason I didn't do this at first was the Akebonos has a shim already.

For the install, I popped that one off and replaced it with the 2 OEM ones. My OCD is tempting me to do my front pads too. Go figure, they have the Akebono shims and they are squealing. For now I won't try to fix what isn't broken. Also, I lathered up the shims with Permatex 85188 Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, 0.5 oz., from Amazon. I hope this helps y'all, because I am such a happy camper after so many months of searching.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:32 AM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by wongster12
After many months of scouring the internet boards for an answer, I should of just followed the OP! My front brakes have been squealing to the point of embarrassment. I had my pads checked a few times and there was over half of the pad remaining. I really didn't want to pay for a full brake job so I decided to just replace my front pads with Akebonos ASP1347/ASP1346. It took care for the squealing and I was happy. I couldn't leave good enough alone and decided to replace the rear pads too. Well, it start squealing! I reinstalled them a couple of times making sure I clean everything. No luck!. Then I gave it one last go and put the original shims on the Akebonos. Lo and behold the squealing has stopped. It has been one week and I hope it sticks. The reason I didn't do this at first was the Akebonos has a shim already.

For the install, I popped that one off and replaced it with the 2 OEM ones. My OCD is tempting me to do my front pads too. Go figure, they have the Akebono shims and they are squealing. For now I won't try to fix what isn't broken. Also, I lathered up the shims with Permatex 85188 Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, 0.5 oz., from Amazon. I hope this helps y'all, because I am such a happy camper after so many months of searching.
Sorry to revive an old thread. I have the Akebono kit on my G37X. I originally used Nissan OEM blank rotors and Akebono PRO Act pads. It would squeal when backing up when cold or wet. I now have Brembo NAO pads and Hawk Talon rotors and does the same thing. On my Q50S with the Akebono it never makes a noise. Is it the case that the OEM pads with the OEM shims do the trick? Whereas aftermarket pads simply do not have the correct shim thickness / setup? I know on aftermarket pads I don't think you can physically fit the OEM shims over them. Unless how I understand, that you removed the shims on the pads and put the OEM ones on?