Help Please help me take apart my caliper safely.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please help me take apart my caliper safely.

Alright everyone who cares to read this probably saw my last thread about what happen to my caliper. Well I overnight new caliper to Mike the powdercoater but Infiniti and UPS had a confusion. They end up shipping it to me. I end up calling Mike to let him know. He told me a way I can fix the problem myself and save money is Taking apart the new and old caliper. Using the old caliper powdercoated front with the new one rear.

I'm not stupid and going to do this myself to get myself killed. I was wondering if a mechanic shop that does brake bleeding and etc would be able to do this? Also does anyone know the torque for this so I can let the mechanic shop know.

This is what he said

-----Original Message-----
To: Joseph Nguyen <****************>
Sent: Thu, Oct 1, 2009 11:35 am
Subject: Re: My number

Joseph,
From the factory, Nissan has stopped painting the back halves of the calipers. Its about 50/50 right now whenever I get them in whether the back half is painted or not. That is because you can't see the back half when installed.

What you can do is disassemble the bad calipers and the new ones, and use the back half of the new calipers. Its very easy and straight forward and will solve your problem. If you are concerned about seeing the back half, you could always spray paint them first, but unless you have monster wheels with narrow spokes, I really don't think you need to.

Anyways, all it takes is an impact wrench, a 17mm socket for the fronts and a 14 for the rears. 4 bolts hold the 2 halves together. Once separated there is an o-ring in between the two halves, usually still in place on the front half of the caliper. Make sure its there when you bolt the two sides together. Use the impact wrench to get them apart and to retighten them. I don't have a specific torque setting, but fairly firm will work.

You can call me if you need any help doing it, but that will definitely be your fastest, easiest, cheapest way of fixing them.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:49 PM
HamstersG

Do you have the Factory Service Manual? It is in there. I don't have it with me or I would look it up for you.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Doesn't sound too hard. Looks like he spelled it all out for you. And just because you take it to a shop doesn't mean they are going to do it right, I trust myself more than some random shop monkey. But if you don't have an impact wrench, you got to do what you got to do. Just be looking over their shoulder and show them the instructions.

I also have the service manual at home on cd. If I can find the brake section, I'll send you that attachment. Most sections of the manual are around 2 megabites. PM me your email address if you want it.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:17 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Doesn't sound too hard. Looks like he spelled it all out for you. And just because you take it to a shop doesn't mean they are going to do it right, I trust myself more than some random shop monkey. But if you don't have an impact wrench, you got to do what you got to do. Just be looking over their shoulder and show them the instructions.

I also have the service manual at home on cd. If I can find the brake section, I'll send you that attachment. Most sections of the manual are around 2 megabites. PM me your email address if you want it.
That is true but one of the shop is pretty good and its own by my uncle. He cares for my safety just as much as I do. He been working on my caliper. He install helicoil on it and he wants me to try it tonight. If it doesnt work then he will switch the calipers backing up and etc.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 PM
SOLISIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stop being cheap and have someone do it, the only ones that I would trust doing it is Ivoid and whousurbuddy who are the diy kings
Old 10-01-2009, 03:36 PM
elite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ask VIP.

lulz

I seriously hope you get all that madness fixed.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:41 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
stop being cheap and have someone do it, the only ones that I would trust doing it is Ivoid and whousurbuddy who are the diy kings
How am I being cheap when I overnight two new caliper to my house?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:44 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Man it is sad how true this is. If it is something that is fairly straight forward or I think I can figure it out, I'd rather do it myself with the help of a friend than take it to someone. I took my boat to a shop to try and have some stuff fixed 3 times, and finally I took the initiative to look into it myself and was able to fix the problem and get it done the right way. Samething goes for my car and my friends cars to. If ya want it done right, do it yourself.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Man it is sad how true this is. If it is something that is fairly straight forward or I think I can figure it out, I'd rather do it myself with the help of a friend than take it to someone. I took my boat to a shop to try and have some stuff fixed 3 times, and finally I took the initiative to look into it myself and was able to fix the problem and get it done the right way. Samething goes for my car and my friends cars to. If ya want it done right, do it yourself.
Yeah I feel the same way but I don't know. I will probably go to my uncle shop to use his impact wrench. I talk to Mike about it cause I try looking for the torque number in the manual but couldn't find it.

This is what Mike said,
yes, a mechanic shop can easily do it. I use 90psi on my impact wrench and the middle setting, so probably about 100 ft lbs of torque.

I just have to figure out the exact amount of torque. ALso I can't do 100lbs with just a torque wrench so I will still have to go to a shop.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
HamstersG

Agree completely. With the right tools and lots of protective wrap on the powdercoating, this is not hard. But he does need that section of the manual.

But everything they do comes out RED.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I forgot about your uncle's shop. Yeah, if it's somebody you trust, then by all means have them help you out. I'm not sure what to think about a helicoil on the caliper. That is a hydraulic line and all, I wonder about the pressures...

On a side note; Tuesday I went and tried to get a tire repaired (had a nail in it). 20"x10" billet aluminum rim with a 305 mounted on it. I walked out of two places because they didn't tell me what I wanted to hear. The third place I went to won my heart and will get all my future business. Some guys care, some guys don't. Some know their stuff, some just do things to get the job done. I wish I had an uncle that had a shop. BTW, nail didn't even make it to the cords.

Flattery... keep it coming.

Originally Posted by HamstersG
But everything they do comes out RED.
That's because RED is right.