Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help VDC Warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by HamstersG
I got the same thing, but it is not the brake fluid. Basically when both the SLIP and VDC OFF lights stay on, it is because something is wrong with the system due to the self-check that occurs every time to start to drive the car at slow speed.

Mine came on first time I started it after changing my steering wheel. I have checked everything I can think of....and everything works.....not sure what else to try. May disconnect the battery for a while and see if I can get a full system reset.

Any ideas?

do you have 4was. ?

I had a problem similar to that when my alignment was out really bad had to drop some suspension parts to get to what we were working on.

Since he had no alignment machine I had wait until i got home,sure enough alignment was way out,thats what the car is warning you.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:07 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No 4ws.

Took it apart, checked all the connections, etc. Same problem.

So still thought it was the steering wheel since that is only thing I touched. So cranked the car and played with turning the wheel while sitting still. Can turn all the way to the right limit....no problem. However on left turn it will set off the VDC and SLIP light when I get just over 1/2 turn of steering wheel. So either I have a bad or loose connection or a problem with the spiral cable?

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
do you have 4was. ?

I had a problem similar to that when my alignment was out really bad had to drop some suspension parts to get to what we were working on.

Since he had no alignment machine I had wait until i got home,sure enough alignment was way out,thats what the car is warning you.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:50 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally Got It

Today I learned way too much about the Spiral Cable, the Steering Angle Sensor and the Self-Diagnosis Function of the Airbag system. Just about everything you need to know about removing steering wheel, spiral cable, etc. is in section SR of the FSM. The Self-Diagnosis of the Airbag is in section SRS. This is the short version as I hope no one ever needs this information.

Most important step: Don't be an idiot and actually double check the steps in the FSM....even if you have done it several times and think you know all the steps. This was the source of all my problems.

Error that started two days of lost time: When I was taking off the steering wheel, I forgot to unplug the steering horn switch harness. SR page 7. When I pulled the steering wheel off, it caused the case of the Spiral Cable to separate. Took me about an hour to take out the Spiral Cable and Steering Angle Sensor (all connected), put the Spiral Cable back together and test out all the connections with an ohm meter to make sure nothing was damaged.

In putting the Spiral Cable back together, I ended up getting the Steering Angle Sensor rotated 360 degrees counter-clockwise from where it was orginally. So basically, the car now thought the steering wheel was turned a full turn to the left when the car was going straight. Now the dealer would have just done the procedure to center the angle sensor, but hated to wait until Monday especially when I know I had caused the problem.

The fix: I separated the Spiral Cable and the Steering Angle Sensor, plugged in just the Steering Angle Sensor and powered up the car. When you start the car, and then rotate the Steering Angle Sensor in either direction it will trip the SLIP and VDC lights once it is about (2) rotations off of the electronically set center. Restart the car to reset the warning lights. For me I found that (1) rotation left or (3) rotations right tripped the warning lights. So I centered the senson at (2) left and (2) right to trip the warning lights, and then reattached to the Spiral Cable. Put everything back together and no more SLIP and VDC errors.

But: I now had an Airbag warning light that flashed after initial car start up. Probably because I started the car without having the airbag installed. According to the FSM my error was: "the systems is malfunctioning and needs to be repaired as indicated" in Section SRC page 16. On page 18 of Section SRC, it describes how to use the "Self-Diagnosis Function (Without CONSULT III)" using the ignition switch. If there are no errors in the system, you can just turn off the ignition from the Diagnosis Mode and the memory error will clear.

So lessons learned...don't get in a hurry, make sure you have a copy of the FSM, actually follow the FSM.