Should I drop or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 PM
machinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I drop or not?

So I've got this new ride and I'm not sure if it's smart for me to drop the car or not. I've got an '09 black g37x coupe and some ppl tell me to drop it for looks and my local friends (I live in Toronto...lotsa snow & speed bumps) tell me I'd be stupid to drop it.

1) So in your opinions, what are the pros & cons of dropping my G?

2) And what's the best thing to purchase to make it happen?

3) What's the safest drop given my concerns and can anyone post side by side pics of what it'll look like?

As always, thanks guys!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 PM
J.Oh

you cant drop your X as far as i know
Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by J.Oh
you cant drop your X as far as i know
Oh no...that's insane! You sure dude? If so, I wonder why that is
Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1. Pros: lower center of gravity. Cons: blown shocks in the future if you do springs only, increased camber, difficulty with driveways and dips/crests

2. Coils are the best way, but cost more than just springs

3. Safest drop is NO drop

Dropping the X is a bit more difficult, as it has to be done VERY carefully. You'll be prototyping if you want to get some coils.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 PM
TicketProof

im going the sways and strut bar route to see if that improves handling, if your looking for performance you might want to do the same, if its appearance though i would drop it with a set of springs
Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by TicketProof
im going the sways and strut bar route to see if that improves handling, if your looking for performance you might want to do the same, if its appearance though i would drop it with a set of springs
I'm primarily objective is to acheive a nice look to the car, while maintaining the safest handling given our horrible driving conditions in the winter. If price wasn't an issue & I could have a wishlist of what to buy, what would you suggest given my needs?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist
So I've got this new ride and I'm not sure if it's smart for me to drop the car or not. I've got an '09 black g37x coupe and some ppl tell me to drop it for looks and my local friends (I live in Toronto...lotsa snow & speed bumps) tell me I'd be stupid to drop it.

1) So in your opinions, what are the pros & cons of dropping my G?

2) And what's the best thing to purchase to make it happen?

3) What's the safest drop given my concerns and can anyone post side by side pics of what it'll look like?

As always, thanks guys!

Pros: Better look, eliminate disgusting gap, better handling.
Cons: Can scrape if your not careful, camber issues

I would recommend coils, but for springs I would get Eibachs
Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
1. Pros: lower center of gravity. Cons: blown shocks in the future if you do springs only, increased camber, difficulty with driveways and dips/crests

2. Coils are the best way, but cost more than just springs

3. Safest drop is NO drop

Dropping the X is a bit more difficult, as it has to be done VERY carefully. You'll be prototyping if you want to get some coils.
Mike, thanks for the expert advice! Here's a stupid question, but what does increased camber mean? And yeah, I hear ya with the no drops. Come to think of it...as I drive out of my condo building underground parking, there is a nice hill to go up to get out...I wonder if a drop would even be wise...
Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
Pros: Better look, eliminate disgusting gap, better handling.
Cons: Can scrape if your not careful, camber issues

I would recommend coils, but for springs I would get Eibachs
First off dude, I gotta say your G looks pretty sick! Great eye for making it roar!

Now as for scraping...that's a smart point, but is there such a thing as a "safe drop" while stay getting that "better look"?
Also, since you recommended getting coils, what's the best one on the market currently? Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Depends on your budget really, the good coils IMO right now are JIC and KW which are in the 1700ish range. BC/Megan are the cheaper ones for 750-900 range.

If you want a SAFE drop, get tanabe springs, but the drop in the front is barely noticeable.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
Depends on your budget really, the good coils IMO right now are JIC and KW which are in the 1700ish range. BC/Megan are the cheaper ones for 750-900 range.

If you want a SAFE drop, get tanabe springs, but the drop in the front is barely noticeable.
Wow, that's quite the price difference between the JIC or KW vs. BC/Megan...is the double price difference due to a better name on the market or are the JIC/KW's that much better?

Interesting point on the tanabe springs...so basically, you're saying if I wanna get a safe drop, there's pretty much no point since the "look" will be virtually identical, right? Man, I wish I had a side by side view of regular G vs. safely dropped G.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Yeah KW/JIC are known as the best coils thus far on the market till other ones come out, BC and Megan, from what owners tell me, say they are PERFECT and amazing, so take it either way. Maxtotheg37 had BC and currently has KW now, so he is a person you should ask about coils if you wanna compare the two.

As for springs, tanabe IMO looks like OEM, except in the back. the front barely drops. If I were you get eibachs, or if you want coils get JIC or KW.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM
machinist

Cool...I'll be sure to check with Maxtotheg37 as well to see what his thoughts are on BC vs. KW.

Hmm...now I'm starting to think that If I'm gonna do a "safe" drop, then there might not even be any point to it. Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:27 PM
G37kitten

I'd err on the side of caution and avoid dropping it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 PM
machinist

Yeah, I guess I'm looking for a meaner look for my G, while at the same time walking the safety line.

Quick Reply: Should I drop or not?