Slow retracting seat belts

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 11:53 PM
AN1K
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Slow retracting seat belts

Vehicle: 2010 G37s Coupe
As I'm sure most of you know the G37 has some of the worst seat belts. I already have multiple gouges in my door panel that I've super glued. The issue seems to be that there is a lot of friction on the two points where the seat belt pivots at the seat belt shoulder (Image 1) as pulling the seat belt below the seat belt shoulder causes it to retract immediately. You can oil the surfaces the seat belt rubs on but that'll leave residue on the webbing. I though about ceramic coating the friction points but the seat belt webbing does not detach from them . If anyone has any ideas on how to reduce the friction there, do let me know. The other option is to overcome the friction with a stronger spring. The existing spring has 5lbs of tension and INFINITI is replacing it with an updated 10lbs spring that solves the issue beautifully, but my 2010 car is past the 10 year warranty so my local dealer claims that the only option is a full seatbelt assembly replacement at $400+ per belt. The cherry on top is that they couldn't even confirm that the new seatbelts they would be putting in would be ones with a 10lbs spring 🤡. Since it looks like I'll be fixing this myself, I've opened up the seat belt and wound the spring as tight as it goes, but that made little difference in how quickly the seat belts retracted. I've measured some of the spring's dimensions (Width: 8mm, Outer Diameter: 50mm, Thickness: ~.25mm [estimation]) and I'm going to order a thicker spring. Will update with results.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:24 AM
Ponyryd
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Spray the entire length, and both sides of the the belt with silicone spray, that will soften the fabric and increase the retraction speed, it will also not stain clothes, I’ve done this on several vehicles (including my G) with great results
The following users liked this post:
AN1K (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 11:36 PM
AN1K
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponyryd
Spray the entire length, and both sides of the the belt with silicone spray, that will soften the fabric and increase the retraction speed, it will also not stain clothes, I’ve done this on several vehicles (including my G) with great results
I'll definitely buy a can of that, if not for the seatbelts then for the windows. Some people seem concerned about the integrity of the belt after the silicone is applied and I've already got springs on the way so I'll play it safe... at least until I get frustrated enough to say **** it. lol
Old 04-03-2024, 11:01 AM
sr20dehauler
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AN1K
I'll definitely buy a can of that, if not for the seatbelts then for the windows. Some people seem concerned about the integrity of the belt after the silicone is applied and I've already got springs on the way so I'll play it safe... at least until I get frustrated enough to say **** it. lol
Any luck with the new springs?