Deep paint chip options

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 03:01 PM
1CLNG37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep paint chip options

Good morning fam,

I am fairly new to these forums so please be patient and bare with me. I got these chip/scratches from what I believe a shopping car at a grocery store parking lot. I have the habit of parking far away like a loner for the simple fact to avoid door dings and scratches from careless people, but you always get that person that decides to park next to you having 20-30 other empty spots. Anyways I’ve been looking into some paint chip options and tutorials but never got into one with my particular chip situation. I’ve attached some pictures of my car and chip/scratch locations. My front bumper does have clear bra as you can see and it is also covered in ceramic paint coat, so that is also one of my concerns for jumping right into it with a chip fix kit. I have the habit to do it my self from the information I have gathered but I would love other peoples opinion since more heads think better than 1. So my question is, is it possible to be done by an average joe or is it too deep I would have to look into a body shop? In the case of a body shop I would just bite my tongue and re-do the whole bumper in the near future since my car is lowered and eventually MR.CHIP is going to have extra brothers LOL. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I do apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong section or location. Thanks again for your valid advice.

Last edited by 1CLNG37; 12-14-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:21 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Welcome- your post would fit better in the paint and body section and there are no pics attached. But from your description, deep scratches in an area covered by a clear bra and a coating are difficult to DIY repair. They usually look worse afterwards IMO.
The following users liked this post:
1CLNG37 (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 03:47 AM
1CLNG37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome- your post would fit better in the paint and body section and there are no pics attached. But from your description, deep scratches in an area covered by a clear bra and a coating are difficult to DIY repair. They usually look worse afterwards IMO.
Thx for the response and I was having trouble posting pictures thru my mobile phone. I kept sending them through gallery on albums. Ironically, scratch and deep chip happened on actual paint not through clear bra right below it. If you happened to know how to properly post pictures or know if I would have to go to pc I would love to put them up here as it would give you guys a better idea to give me great advice.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:33 PM
FreightTrain
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Hard to tell without pictures. You can probably use a site like imgur to upload them from your phone, then link them to this thread.

If your plan is to repaint the whole bumper later, I would try to DiY it now. It might turn out better than you think, but if not no biggie just get it fixed professionally later. I've read most people talk to their local Infiniti dealer and order OEM touch up paint. I've also heard good things about Dr Color Chip. Obviously try a small test area that's out of site before attempting to repair your bumper. From personal experience, don't buy any of the crap on amazon. I've tried two different brands and both were pretty far off in color. I'm not sure how much the clear bra is going to effect there repair process, but you'll need to clean the area, wet sand, fill the chip, wet sand again, slowly apply the paint, wet sand, then paint/clear, repeat lol. It'll be a process, but if you take your time and can let your car sit while your painting/drying it will probably turn out pretty well.

For what it's worth, there's a church brothers right by my house that does solid work. I took my rear bumper off and brought it to them, and they filled a few deep scratches, went over the chips and recleared it for just over $100 and it looks perfect. If you bought paint, clear, 3-4 different sand paper grits, brushes, etc. to do it yourself, you're looking at half that price at least. I'll go over a small chip myself, but anything more I think it's worth taking to a professional.
The following users liked this post:
1CLNG37 (12-15-2018)