Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Lost Trunk Plate Clips

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 02:05 AM
garrettprs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Trunk Plate Clips

Noticed that what Infiniti/Nissan calls the "Trunk Plate-Rear" (part 84992) was a little loose on the sides. It's the piece of trim that when you open the trunk, the latch goes through and acts as sort of a bumper on the inside and top of the trunk lip. It probably gets banged relentlessly when people take stuff in or out of their trunks.

Anyhow, I went to pop it off to check things out and there are two small metal retaining clips that fell into the nether-region in between the trunk and bumper and I have no idea how to get to them. It explains why the sides were loose: not sure why but the retaining clips are way to small for the holes that the plate clips into, hence how they fell into the abyss.

As you can see from the pictures, I tore out the inside of the trunk (not terribly difficult) and the holes where these clips fell into don't feed into the inside of the trunk i.e., where the spare tire sits. I also got under the car thinking they fed into the top of the inside of the bumper but that's not the case either. I don't suppose the trunk would be water tight if that were the case. A flashlight confirmed that pointing light into the holes doesn't peek out the bottom of the car and vice versa.

So all of that said, any idea how in the world to get to these? I think I'll have to let my OCD win if it involves taking off the bumper. I'm sure these little buggers are going to rattle around loose wherever they are now. Just crazy that it's so easy to lose them down in this area and that this area can be so inaccessible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Lost Trunk Plate Clips-img_1141.jpg   Lost Trunk Plate Clips-img_1142.jpg   Lost Trunk Plate Clips-img_1139.jpg   Lost Trunk Plate Clips-img_1140.jpg  
Old 07-03-2018, 06:15 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
If you're bored take the rear bumper cover off to get them out or just replace them