Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Rust along rear windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 07:27 PM
Carm1ne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust along rear windshield?

Anyone ever seen something like this before? I have a feeling this is going to mean big bucks to fix.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:13 PM
iVector
Registered Member

I've never seen this before, but the sooner you treat it, cheaper it will be. Right now it looks like surface rust which can simply be sanded off, primed, and repainted over. If you decide to wait, it could spread deeper along the car and then it will require welding or replacing parts, and start breaking into the 1000 dollar zone.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:23 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by iVector
I've never seen this before, but the sooner you treat it, cheaper it will be. Right now it looks like surface rust which can simply be sanded off, primed, and repainted over. If you decide to wait, it could spread deeper along the car and then it will require welding or replacing parts, and start breaking into the 1000 dollar zone.
To simply sand, paint remove glass, and blend (correctly) he's already in the 1000 zone. You start talking about replacing the 1/4 and or welding/patching, on down the road, and you're easily at 3k+ to do it correctly once rust takes over.

That said, I agree to a degree, its surface, fix it now before it gets bad. Have them do it right, and remove the rear glass while repairing.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:27 PM
iVector
Registered Member

Originally Posted by soundkillr
To simply sand, paint remove glass, and blend (correctly) he's already in the 1000 zone. You start talking about replacing the 1/4 and or welding/patching, on down the road, and you're easily at 3k+ to do it correctly once rust takes over.

That said, I agree to a degree, its surface, fix it now before it gets bad. Have them do it right, and remove the rear glass while repairing.
I don't think it'll be a thousand right now. That panel is relatively smooth to sand down, and the color is very cheap (White is the cheapest color along with black). Yeah it'll be leaning towards the high hundreds, but it'll be scary once if he lets it sit for a while.

I have some rust underneath my doorsill which I have to get got sanded off and fixed ASAP, before it was able to spread at all, and the most expensive quote I've gotten (Sandblasting + Epoxy Filling + Repainting) was about $550.00 CAD.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 PM
Carm1ne

Ouch. Sounds like I need to have someone look at it asap. Do you guys know anything about Infiniti's corrosion warranty?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 PM
iVector
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Carm1ne
Ouch. Sounds like I need to have someone look at it asap. Do you guys know anything about Infiniti's corrosion warranty?
Can't say I know anything about the corrosion warranty, mine is 2008 and with only one little spot which is to-be-fixed. I suggest you take it to a body shop so they can give it a good inspection and a nice quote. Good luck and hope it turns out great!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:25 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by iVector
I don't think it'll be a thousand right now. That panel is relatively smooth to sand down, and the color is very cheap (White is the cheapest color along with black). Yeah it'll be leaning towards the high hundreds, but it'll be scary once if he lets it sit for a while.

I have some rust underneath my doorsill which I have to get got sanded off and fixed ASAP, before it was able to spread at all, and the most expensive quote I've gotten (Sandblasting + Epoxy Filling + Repainting) was about $550.00 CAD.
I think his car may be silver, which usually requires a blend. Maybe not could be white, tough to tell with a dimly lit screen lol.... . As far as a door jamb goes, that's a pretty easy area to spot and blend. The 1/4 not so easy. I know at one of my shop I work with, prep, paint and materials with glass removal would run right around 800-900. Of course that's for a factory correct job, with lifetime warranty on the work.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:27 PM
iVector
Registered Member

Originally Posted by soundkillr
I think his car may be silver, which usually requires a blend. Maybe not could be white, tough to tell with a dimly lit screen lol.... . As far as a door jamb goes, that's a pretty easy area to spot and blend. The 1/4 not so easy. I know at one of my shop I work with, prep, paint and materials with glass removal would run right around 800-900. Of course that's for a factory correct job, with lifetime warranty on the work.
I'll take your word for it, you work in a shop and probably know better than I on how pricing for a quality job works
Old 06-20-2018, 12:35 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Are you the original owner? This almost looks like a past repair that is failing from lack proper pre-paint surface treatment. From the factory, the sheet metal should be coated with either primer or galvanize, and the multiple layers of pain and clear alone should be enough to resist wearing away. I find it dubious as to why it is rusting as if the paint is super thin and the sheet metal isn't primed/rust-proofed.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:07 AM
Carm1ne

Not the original owner unfortunately.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:43 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Carm1ne
Anyone ever seen something like this before? I have a feeling this is going to mean big bucks to fix.

Global Warming, Acid Rain, Atmospheric pollution, nearby coal burning power plants?

Park in your garage.

Telcoman
Old 06-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
That car had to have been painted before and they didn't do it right and take out the glass to paint correctly. You can buy a rust converter from lowes and dab it on. It will make the metal stable then you could use touchup paint or get it fixed via insurance and let them deal with it.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:31 AM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Ever get you windshield replaced??
Bought my car used, Did not notice it when I bought it But after closer examination the back windshield was definitely replaced at some point by some **** bag that should not be doing work on cars. You can tell he completely scraped up the body work around where the window meets the body with whatever tool he was using to lay the windshield, he even went as far to get down to body on the top and now there is a noticeable piece of rust. Do your Job right people and If you **** up fix it don't just leave it. If I was the owner when this was returned to me after windshield repair I would have not paid until it was fixed properly.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Carm1ne

Originally Posted by Bostonreefer
Ever get you windshield replaced??
Bought my car used, Did not notice it when I bought it But after closer examination the back windshield was definitely replaced at some point by some **** bag that should not be doing work on cars. You can tell he completely scraped up the body work around where the window meets the body with whatever tool he was using to lay the windshield, he even went as far to get down to body on the top and now there is a noticeable piece of rust. Do your Job right people and If you **** up fix it don't just leave it. If I was the owner when this was returned to me after windshield repair I would have not paid until it was fixed properly.
Must have been replaced before I bought the car. I bought it used from my local Infiniti dealer though So I'm going to do some digging and see if they worked on it previously.