2010 G37x Rear Brake Rotor Pad Sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Spadds76
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 G37x Rear Brake Rotor Pad Sizes?

Hi

This may sound like a bit crazy but I recently replaced the rotors and pads all round on my G37x. I wanted OEM spec discs with better front pads.

On the front I put Brembo solid but vented discs - have started to rust up after 1 week! I matched these with DBA 600 pads (I think). The DBA pads are very good. Great bite, but progressive when desired and confident. I got them off Carid.com.

I thought the rears were near the end of their life and only two days later this was confirmed by grinding noise when braking, so I order the rear discs and pads from disc brake canada, solid vented rotor with some rust proof finish and standard pads. I looked for DBA rears but they don't do them for the G37x. The disc brake canada parts are cheap Chinese items. There are not part numbers stamped anywhere on the parts, or manufacturers stamps etc. Will see how they last.....

The rear passanger side caliper guide pin snapped off inside the caliper!!! Hence the grinding due to uneven pad wear, so I got a new caliper which was cheap and lots less hassle dealing with rusty bolts, bleed screws etc. Just for fun I also bought another caliper for the drivers side!

Anyway fitted the rears all ok. However, I'm not sure why there is such a gap of unused surface area on the discs. About 1" of the disc surface area isn't used by the pad. See attached pitcures.

I went into local auto part store and asked to look at a set of rear pads just to see how wide they are incase I'd been sent some that were the wrong size, but they were the identical pattern.

So is it me that thinks this is a bit crazy? Is this by design, or is it by using the incorrect part? I don't see why they'd size a disc to only be partially used. The old disc / pad contact patterns were identical too. Crazy.

Comments welcomed. Are yours like this too?
Old 05-11-2018, 02:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
That's it, got the correct parts and small pad contact area.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Spadds76
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
That's it, got the correct parts and small pad contact area.
OK, thanks kindly for your reply. Good to know I have the right parts and it's the design that I think is a bit crazy!!!! What a waste of surface area!!! It's all going to go to the gods of rust soon!!!
Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Spadds76
OK, thanks kindly for your reply. Good to know I have the right parts and it's the design that I think is a bit crazy!!!! What a waste of surface area!!! It's all going to go to the gods of rust soon!!!
Maybe it's intentional, to get you to upgrade to the Akebono BBK