Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Fog lights on without headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 10:07 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Fog lights on without headlights

Has anyone done the wiring yet to have the fog lights go on without the headlights like we used to do on the Maximas?
Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
U can buy foglight harness kits
With or without a switch on eBay. That's the best cleanest way imo. I used the kit without a switch and tapped into the parking lights. I'm too lazy to install a switch. So my fogs come on with my parking lights.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:39 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Well how about without the harness kit. There should be a wire you snip or tap into like what was done on the Maximas. I guess nobody has done it before. It was very common to do on the 4th gen maxes
Old 05-21-2018, 01:40 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

But what kit did you buy maybe I can make my own? How did you locate the wires to tap?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
You would have to splice in a relay and control button like you get when you buy aftermarket fog lights like piaas
Old 05-21-2018, 09:08 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

i bought from these guys on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-880-Rel...IAAOSwc6JaglBR

yea you can make your own but for $10 i dont see the point lol.

if you wanted full independence you would get the kit with a switch

i tapped into the parking lights its simple only 2 wires. i dont remember id have to check but its a 50/50 chance so if one doesnt work just tap the other
Old 05-28-2018, 02:14 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Well how about without the harness kit. There should be a wire you snip or tap into like what was done on the Maximas. I guess nobody has done it before. It was very common to do on the 4th gen maxes
I had a VQ35 swapped 4th gen. I also did the fog light mod on that car.

The difference with newer Nissans is now Nissan uses an IPDM which reads data from the CAN bus. Your left stalk that turns lights on/off isn't a switch like the Maxima had. It is a matrix output that the CAN bus reads and decides whether or not to turn on your lights.
It is unlikely that you can get your fog switch modified to operate like the 4th gen Max. There is some chance you could use Consult-III to remap the logic a little bit, but I am not sure how flexible the BCM is. On my GTI, I can reprogram anything I want, any way I want using a device called "OBDEleven". I was able to make my GTI fogs come on without headlights.
Not all is lost, the IPDM has basic relays in it. You can pull your fog relay and insert wires from your own relay to modify the function a bit, but you'd end up needing a switch somewhere. This is how I modified the fogs on my Titan, but my Titan has aftermarket fog switches available for it that fit in one of the many switch blanks on the dash, so it doesn't look cheesy at all. This way you don't need to cut any stock wires, the switched/relay output feeds into the original fog light relay output, and even uses the original fog fuse as the fuse is downstream from the relay output.
The following users liked this post:
AARONHL (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 01:10 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

This is what I was looking for, makes sense, thanks for posting and sharing your knowledge !!

Originally Posted by takemorepills
I had a VQ35 swapped 4th gen. I also did the fog light mod on that car.

The difference with newer Nissans is now Nissan uses an IPDM which reads data from the CAN bus. Your left stalk that turns lights on/off isn't a switch like the Maxima had. It is a matrix output that the CAN bus reads and decides whether or not to turn on your lights.
It is unlikely that you can get your fog switch modified to operate like the 4th gen Max. There is some chance you could use Consult-III to remap the logic a little bit, but I am not sure how flexible the BCM is. On my GTI, I can reprogram anything I want, any way I want using a device called "OBDEleven". I was able to make my GTI fogs come on without headlights.
Not all is lost, the IPDM has basic relays in it. You can pull your fog relay and insert wires from your own relay to modify the function a bit, but you'd end up needing a switch somewhere. This is how I modified the fogs on my Titan, but my Titan has aftermarket fog switches available for it that fit in one of the many switch blanks on the dash, so it doesn't look cheesy at all. This way you don't need to cut any stock wires, the switched/relay output feeds into the original fog light relay output, and even uses the original fog fuse as the fuse is downstream from the relay output.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:44 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

^ U didnt already know all that from being on g35driver? thats why theres the whole kp tech module but that things iffy. i tried it and couldnt get it to work
Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

the 1st gen g35s didn't have the fog lights on the lower bumper so I didn't see the reason to turn the headlight fogs on separately, i'd just turn the headlights on haha

It was just the other day I remembered the fog light mods we did on the 4th gen maxes and thought I would search for it here but didn't find what I was looking for prompting me to make the thread
Old 06-01-2018, 04:29 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

a lot of us coupes wanted to turn the fog light on independently using the stock stalk. so the kp module was the way to do it. it was cool to have the fog light in the headlight housing on. but no matter where the fog was placed the wiring is all the same especially at the ipmd box

this was the goal for some of us lol i did it

Old 06-01-2018, 04:41 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Yea actually doesnt look bad at all, when you say KP mudule is that the harness you got on ebay? I want to use the stock twist button
Old 06-01-2018, 04:46 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

naw its this company,

KP Technologies

they used to be active on the g forums. i tried the module they sell which they said would work on an 03 but didnt. they only have confirmed success on the 06 models i believe. idk so it might work on a the newer g but idk and i dont think they really know either unless someone actually did testing on it.

i couldnt get it to work so i did the ebay fog harness way.
The following users liked this post:
AARONHL (06-01-2018)