Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

1 Headlight turning off after 10 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:32 AM
solow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Headlight turning off after 10 seconds

Hey guys I am in need of some help here. Just recently I have been having issues with my 2012 G37 sedan.

Back story- Driver side headlight would flicker but then eventually turn on... sometimes it would stay on, sometimes it would turn off... I was told to replace my ballast- which I did.

Once the ballast was installed, headlight seemed to work, a couple weeks went by and I started to notice that the headlight would turn on normally, however, in exactly 10 seconds, it would turn back off... I am at a loss at this point and would appreciate any help here.

1 last thing- when installing the ballast, although I got the part number from the dealership through my vin number, the actual assembly was not the same one as the one that originally came on the car. I was able to move a few things around and got it to work (its an Infiniti OEM ballast, I assume it came on a different model) There was a delay in igniting the driver side headlight than my passenger side... I didn't think much of it, just wanted to make sure it worked...

Please let me know if anyone has ever had this weird issue before. I would also appreciate it if someone can post a picture of a used OEM headlight bulb, that way I can compare it to mine...
Old 09-07-2017, 12:57 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
perhaps you got a bulb thats starting to go out.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by solow
Hey guys I am in need of some help here. Just recently I have been having issues with my 2012 G37 sedan.

Back story- Driver side headlight would flicker but then eventually turn on... sometimes it would stay on, sometimes it would turn off... I was told to replace my ballast- which I did.

Once the ballast was installed, headlight seemed to work, a couple weeks went by and I started to notice that the headlight would turn on normally, however, in exactly 10 seconds, it would turn back off... I am at a loss at this point and would appreciate any help here.

1 last thing- when installing the ballast, although I got the part number from the dealership through my vin number, the actual assembly was not the same one as the one that originally came on the car. I was able to move a few things around and got it to work (its an Infiniti OEM ballast, I assume it came on a different model) There was a delay in igniting the driver side headlight than my passenger side... I didn't think much of it, just wanted to make sure it worked...

Please let me know if anyone has ever had this weird issue before. I would also appreciate it if someone can post a picture of a used OEM headlight bulb, that way I can compare it to mine...
One of the advantages of using the dealer is if one of their installed parts turns out to be defective they will stand behind their work, give you a loaner vehicle and fix the problem.
Customer satisfaction survey's are very important to dealers.
Trying to save a little money on these vehicles very often leads to frustration and extra expense.
Learned this lesson many years ago.

Telcoman
Old 09-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Bulbs either work or don't if you checked ballast check wiring connection
Old 09-11-2017, 01:56 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Bulbs either work or don't if you checked ballast check wiring connection
this statement would be true only if you are talking about filament type bulbs. hid or xenon bulbs arc an electrical current over electrodes. the electrodes do not touch and high voltage electricity arcs over the 2 points. if the electrode is bad or if there is high resistance it can affect bulb performance or operation.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:59 PM
solow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can anyone point me to the right direction as to where I can find the OEM bulbs for this car?

Also, if the ballast was not the same exact ballast (although, still a infiniti ballast with the same attributes) could this issue occur?
Old 11-02-2017, 09:26 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The (different) ballast shouldnt matter. Im running different ballasts in my car. Im having the exact same issue you are, and in my case its the bulb. It will light briefly then after a minute it dies. Ive tried multiple ballasts and same results. Switiching the bulb clears the issue....