Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Paint my Malbec Black G37 IPL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Got any reputable source (not random dudes opinions on various forums saying so) that backs this up? I see it posted a lot on car forums. But I have yet to read anything authoritative that agrees that a quality paint job decreases resale value. I've looked, maybe you have found something I missed.

Most potential buyers have no clue what a paint code is or if it matches the VIN. I'll guess over 99% of car buyers. All they know is a 6 year old car has a fantastic looking like-new finish in a color they like. A pink fluorescent paint job with runs and orange peel devalues a car. A near OEM quality paint job does not. The older a car gets, the more a quality paint job adds to the value.

Back to the OP's original point, the Malbec Black is a rare color and has the red leather seats that everyone here would probably give a kidney for except him. I love my black car but would trade paint color and interior color in a heartbeat but if he hates it he should get it painted or sell it and buy one in the color he likes. I don't know which would cost him more, but a quality paint job in this area runs over $3K.
I guess it's more reasonable to say that the results will vary. I have had personal experiences that lead me to believe it will devalue the car. It is VERY difficult and expensive to get an excellent paint job that the discerning eye cannot tell the difference from OEM. It only takes one small area of imperfection to cough up that the whole paint job is a respray. I will agree that on an older car, it has the potential to raise the value, but a limited edition IPL that is only offered in a handful of colors and is a couple years old will throw red flags everywhere. Many dealers would catch this discrepency and any private party familiar with the IPL and its offerings would immediately know the car is a respray. With that being said, there have been a lot of people around here lately who bought their car with a blindfold on, so who knows.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:21 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
If I had known the Malbec black was coming out with red seats (anniversary edition) I would have waited now I am stuck with a boring liq plat sedan
Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
I guess it's more reasonable to say that the results will vary. I have had personal experiences that lead me to believe it will devalue the car. It is VERY difficult and expensive to get an excellent paint job that the discerning eye cannot tell the difference from OEM. It only takes one small area of imperfection to cough up that the whole paint job is a respray. I will agree that on an older car, it has the potential to raise the value, but a limited edition IPL that is only offered in a handful of colors and is a couple years old will throw red flags everywhere. Many dealers would catch this discrepency and any private party familiar with the IPL and its offerings would immediately know the car is a respray. With that being said, there have been a lot of people around here lately who bought their car with a blindfold on, so who knows.
On a trade its gonna hurt because they would care. Also to get a good paint job that requires removing engine bay parts etc, it cost a ton. And anyone who knows whats up would be able to tell the cars been painted. And honestly I'd want to know why. Your best best is to find another car and make a trade happen
Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by blackfunk
On a trade its gonna hurt because they would care. Also to get a good paint job that requires removing engine bay parts etc, it cost a ton. And anyone who knows whats up would be able to tell the cars been painted. And honestly I'd want to know why. Your best best is to find another car and make a trade happen
I agree. Basically reiterating my thoughts/opinions. There's many different angles to look at this, but in this specific example, it will almost certainly devalue the car. If the car was 10 years old and fading, it would be a different story. This is a limited edition car that comes in limited colors and respraying the car is going to be extremely noticeable to most, not the good noticeable either.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:07 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I like the Malbec black color, but not with red interior, so I'm with OP on this one, although everyone else makes good points. Repainting it might affect resale, but you certainly won't see any return on that investment, whatever it may be, and definitely won't add value - financially. But if you aren't happy with it, repaint it, although wrap suggestion is the best.

Before, during and after photos of the full respray should ease any previously-crashed suspicions at trade-in or resale time, along with body shop receipt showing zero damage.

What color is under the hood? My G37 is bright red on the outside but a fairly dull, wanna-be bright red under the hood, looks more like single stage or one quick swipe of clear... wondering if Malbec black color shifts in the engine bay or not.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by GAWD
I like the Malbec black color, but not with red interior, so I'm with OP on this one, although everyone else makes good points. Repainting it might affect resale, but you certainly won't see any return on that investment, whatever it may be, and definitely won't add value - financially. But if you aren't happy with it, repaint it, although wrap suggestion is the best.

Before, during and after photos of the full respray should ease any previously-crashed suspicions at trade-in or resale time, along with body shop receipt showing zero damage.

What color is under the hood? My G37 is bright red on the outside but a fairly dull, wanna-be bright red under the hood, looks more like single stage or one quick swipe of clear... wondering if Malbec black color shifts in the engine bay or not.
Good point, I wonder if the engine bay is just a base coat, seems like that would make sense, but haven't really thought about it
Old 11-06-2014, 04:53 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by GAWD

No "might" about it. I have bought and sold many cars and a respray is a huge red flag...
Old 11-06-2014, 04:54 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Definitely live w/it at this point, you'll take a hit on the re-sale and might raise a flag painting the car something other than the OEM (folks might assume it was in an accident).
Malbec is an awesome color, hopefully you'll grow to like it.
This will be the case regardless of color...
Old 11-06-2014, 05:05 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
I'd trade ya my ob for your malbec black with red interior.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:09 PM
blco02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for everyone's opinion. I bought the car at CarMax and have until tomorrow at 9pm to return the car. I may just return it and look for a Graphite Shadow IPL. Even though I don't like it as much as Black, I love the IPL in general.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:14 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by blco02
Thanks for everyone's opinion. I bought the car at CarMax and have until tomorrow at 9pm to return the car. I may just return it and look for a Graphite Shadow IPL. Even though I don't like it as much as Black, I love the IPL in general.
G/L, let us know what you end up with.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Good idea, return the color you don't like for another color you don't like. How about you buy a black G and take the leftover coin to but the body kit. Not much else in the IPL that means much of anything. Puts on IPL owner flame suit.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Malbec Black is so rare and so lovely. I cringe at the thought of painting over it.

Though I have to say this is a fairly silly thread anyway... Why buy a car if you don't like the color?!? Did you not see it before you bought it?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:31 PM
blco02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sprix
Malbec Black is so rare and so lovely. I cringe at the thought of painting over it.

Though I have to say this is a fairly silly thread anyway... Why buy a car if you don't like the color?!? Did you not see it before you bought it?
Because I knew I had 5 days to return it. I was hoping it would grow on me. It looks great when it's cloudy outside
Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by blco02
Because I knew I had 5 days to return it. I was hoping it would grow on me. It looks great when it's cloudy outside
IMHO ... you're nuts to return it (or paint it) but to each his own, good luck

Last edited by 2008G-Man; 11-07-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Paint my Malbec Black G37 IPL?