MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Body Interior Exterior Lighting (https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting-314/)
-   -   Paint my Malbec Black G37 IPL? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting/262752-paint-my-malbec-black-g37-ipl.html)

blco02 11-03-2014 10:44 AM

Paint my Malbec Black G37 IPL?

Hey guys, I'm new to this board - just bought a 2011 G37 IPL yesterday in Malbec Black. I love it, but I'm just not sure about the color. I wish it was Black. What are your thoughts on me getting it painted Black? I'm not sure if it would be worth it because I know it won't be cheap and it may hurt resale value? Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Ryne 11-03-2014 10:54 AM

You would lose A LOT less money by selling the car and buying another in the color that you prefer. Painting the whole car the RIGHT way would cost thousands of dollars and would take a substantial amount of time. After all of that money and effort, the car would be worth thousands less and the car would be forever tainted and assumed to be a salvage or total with a cheap repair that used standard black paint instead of the premium malbec pearl.

2008G-Man 11-03-2014 11:32 AM

Most people consider the Malbec Black the best color .... I have it and LOVE it ... IMHO you would be nuts to change it. Unless it's sunny, it looks pure black.

GS07 11-03-2014 01:30 PM

At night that color looks beautiful all of the city lights show the slight hint of purple and as a whole i would have to agree that it is one of the best colors out there.

Personally i have a black obsidian G and it shows every spec of dust or flaw int he paint, water spots etc. I love it but it is always nice to have a color with some metalic or pearl that has some depth to it.

Don't repaint it. my opinion

xxg00w0 11-03-2014 01:51 PM

what's the reason to get an IPL?

Black Betty 11-03-2014 02:18 PM

Malbec Black is one of the more coveted colors. Painting it is very expensive if done well. However I'd doesn't hurt your car's value thousands of dollars unless you get a crappy paint job.

blnewt 11-03-2014 02:19 PM

Definitely live w/it at this point, you'll take a hit on the re-sale and might raise a flag painting the car something other than the OEM (folks might assume it was in an accident).
Malbec is an awesome color, hopefully you'll grow to like it.

Ryne 11-03-2014 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Black Betty (Post 3840816)
Malbec Black is one of the more coveted colors. Painting it is very expensive if done well. However I'd doesn't hurt your car's value thousands of dollars unless you get a crappy paint job.

I am pretty confident that painting a $25-30k car a color that doesn't match the VIN is going to take a hit on the resale value. Even if it's a great paint job, it's going to turn off many potential buyers.

chilibowl 11-03-2014 03:15 PM

I would gladly trade my Black Obsidian body for your Malbec Black....

You wash and clay that car.....and then lay down a very proper wax....and that Malbec just POPS hard as hell.....Its a sick color....I have zero clue as to why you would wanna change it.

blco02 11-03-2014 03:27 PM

I guess I just think the purpleish paint with the red interior is a little feminine. But you guys are changing my mind!

Ryne 11-03-2014 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 142268

Lt8Che 11-03-2014 04:19 PM

Malbec Black is a pretty cool color, I say keep it and learn to love it!

GS07 11-03-2014 04:25 PM

Agreed ^^

blnewt 11-04-2014 08:19 AM

One other option if you just can't live w/ the Malbec would be vinyl wrapping your G, so many colors available now and is easily removable (if you remove it within manufacturers time limits). This would be a much better, and far cheaper, than painting when it comes time to sell it.

Black Betty 11-04-2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ryne (Post 3840826)
I am pretty confident that painting a $25-30k car a color that doesn't match the VIN is going to take a hit on the resale value. Even if it's a great paint job, it's going to turn off many potential buyers.

Got any reputable source (not random dudes opinions on various forums saying so) that backs this up? I see it posted a lot on car forums. But I have yet to read anything authoritative that agrees that a quality paint job decreases resale value. I've looked, maybe you have found something I missed.

Most potential buyers have no clue what a paint code is or if it matches the VIN. I'll guess over 99% of car buyers. All they know is a 6 year old car has a fantastic looking like-new finish in a color they like. A pink fluorescent paint job with runs and orange peel devalues a car. A near OEM quality paint job does not. The older a car gets, the more a quality paint job adds to the value.

Back to the OP's original point, the Malbec Black is a rare color and has the red leather seats that everyone here would probably give a kidney for except him. I love my black car but would trade paint color and interior color in a heartbeat but if he hates it he should get it painted or sell it and buy one in the color he likes. I don't know which would cost him more, but a quality paint job in this area runs over $3K.