Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

S vs non S seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:52 AM
ragin_cajuns

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S vs non S seats

I have a 2013 S. When I bought it a few months ago I debated the S vs the non S because the comfort of the seats in the non S was better than the S but I liked other things about the S. I ended up getting the S.

My car was at the dealership since Friday to have the oil changed and fixed a scratch on the wheel (thank you wife ). They gave me a G 37 (non S) to drive for the weekend and I noticed a difference about the seats, other than the comfort/bolsters. In my S I have the seat pretty much all the way back as my normal driving position which leaves only about 5 inches between the rear seat and back of the driver seat. I noticed on the non S that I was driving that I had to pull the seat up considerably to get in the same comfortable driving position leaving more room behind the driver seat. Its the same car - is there a difference in the size/length of the seat in the S vs non S that would leave more room with the non S?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
IDK about the length question, but I can comment about your comfort issue.

The Sport Seats on the G35S were even more stiff and less comfortable than the Sport Seats on the G37S. When planning for a new car, I was very concerned about it for the longest time, but when I realized the G37S seats had (slightly) more give to them. It was enough to make it a non-issue when buying the Sport Sedan. All that said, I'm 5'10" and 190 pounds. If I were any larger (which I might be someday, dammit), it could become an uncomfortable prospect. I suppose it's good motivation to maintain.

Within a few months after purchase (where you are now), I came to appreciate all the support available with the Sport Seats, so much so that I started bringing the side and thigh bolsters in a little bit. It's the new normal, and the non-sport seats feel like a padded park bench now.

If you want to experience truly crappy seats in what should otherwise be a sporty driving experience, go sit in the non-Sport Q50 with the "pleathor" material. Honestly, INFINITI should be ashamed of those seats. They are truly cheap and horrible.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 AM
ragin_cajuns

Yeah I debated the S non S because of the seats but figured I'd get used to them (and I'm alot bigger than 190lbs) and I did. Their comfort is a non issue now. Not sure I'd want to drive 500 miles in it but don't plan on anyway. That's why I bought the wife a new '14 Pathfinder - road trips.

I was jsut amazed that in my S I have the seat all the way back (maybe 1/2 inch from all the way back) but in the non S that I was driving i had to pull it up considerably more. Would have expected the same seating arrangement.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The sport seats have an optional thigh extension in the front that the non-sports don't have... you know that, right?

Maybe yours is extended a little, and you didn't realize it.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:19 AM
ragin_cajuns

Originally Posted by Rochester
The sport seats have an optional thigh extension in the front that the non-sports don't have... you know that, right?

Maybe yours is extended a little, and you didn't realize it.
Yes I realize that but it's the distance from the back of the seat to the steering wheel that should be the same - front of the seat (extender) shouldn't factor into this if I'm thinking right).

Whether I have it extended or not my butt is the same distance from the steering wheel.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
What you are describing seems strange to me.
Coming from a 2007X to a 2011S, my S seat is ~ the same distance from the rear seat as the non-S seats was in the X.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:37 AM
ragin_cajuns

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
What you are describing seems strange to me.
Coming from a 2007X to a 2011S, my S seat is ~ the same distance from the rear seat as the non-S seats was in the X.
maybe my arms and legs were shorter this weekend.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by ragin_cajuns
maybe my arms and legs were shorter this weekend.
Have you checked to see if the steering column was perhaps longer or shorter in the rental compared to your regular car? That would make a difference of a few inches depending on where it is. Rental car steering columns are given to customers in their completely collapses position.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
i've had G37 non-S loaners before, and the front-to-rear seat spacing is the same as my S. i always adjust the wheel and driver's seat similar to the setup in my ride.

the only difference i really notice is how short the non-S seat cushion feels since it lacks the thigh extension. the non-S feels way to short once i got used to the S seats, and i'm only 6', 195lbs. i really appreciate the extra leg support on both long and short hauls. the S seats are the most supportive and comfortable seats of any car i've owned. even better than the seats in my first used car - a 1984 Jetta GLi (think GTi in a Jetta 2-door body) -and those were some awesome seats.