Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help Paint Damage Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 PM
SgtGoldy

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Paint Damage Question

I was curious if anyone had any suggestions. I noticed a few weeks ago that my paint seemed to be "rubbed off" as if someone took hard rubber to the side of my car and literally rubbed the paint off. It's not a big spot its just in two places on my rear panel on the drivers side.

How much would you guess it would cost to paint? Since its such a small spot can it be spot painted? Or does the whole panel have to be painted.

I also have DR.ColorChip. Any idea if it could work? lol

I'll take a picture of it later today but for now its about this size and this location:

Paint Damage Question-t1mexk0.jpg

EDIT:

a bit dirty and could use a wash, but you can see the bigger mark and a smaller mark underneath it to the left.

Last edited by SgtGoldy; 09-27-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
No on the Dr. Colorchip, that area is tough since the panel also involves the roof. A good bodyshop may be able to blend it out but they'll have to shoot most of that panel. Probably over $500 since it's base & clear coat, wonder what caused all that abrasion??
Old 09-28-2013, 12:10 AM
SgtGoldy

No idea, I parked in the waaaayyyyy back of Costco one day and came out to that. Theres also a highschool nearby and the kids would've been walking by my car around that time after school let out. I mean, they'd have to go out of their way to get to it, but its still something I can see them doing...

Also thats a ton of cash for such a small spot. Dam* that really sucks. I need to make best friends with some body shop people and have them spray the whole panel for free.... lol.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
It is a small area but unfortunately it'll take a large area blend to get the proper match, and it's in an area of your car that it'll really show up if it's not done properly
Shop around though, might not be that much
Old 09-28-2013, 11:14 AM
SgtGoldy

Originally Posted by blnewt
It is a small area but unfortunately it'll take a large area blend to get the proper match, and it's in an area of your car that it'll really show up if it's not done properly
Shop around though, might not be that much
Thanks for the heads up blnewt. Guess I won't be buying any toys for a little while (regretting buying a new phone with a watch lol)
Old 11-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Jrwabw

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
hey man I am a custom and collision painter. I am Icar ASE and PPG master certified. When was the last time someone took a buffer to your car. Those marks are burn thru caused by a buffer. Has this car ever been in a body shop before? believe it or not it wont cost a crazy amount to be fixed. Best bet ask your infinity or nissan dealer if they have their own body shop. I just moved to Tn last january so I have been at a independent shop but before that I was the head painter at Lokey Infinity/Nissans body shop in clearwater,fl. all this would be is a BLEND 1/4 panel tops would be about 400.00 to fix. be very cautious there are alot of hack shops around. YOU DO NOT WANT THEM TO SPOT THIS IN. 99% of painters do not know how to do this correctly. I do but unless your willing to come to A&E frame and body in johnson city TN then you dont want them to do this. They will need to drop the bumper on that side remove the tail light and possibly the 1/4 glass. the labor for doing this is whats going to add up. Blending the quarter only pays about 1.6 hrs at 42.00 a hour and paint materials at 30.00 a hour thats only 115.20 for paint labor and materials probably .5 for taking tail light out .5 for droping the bumper maybe a hour for the quarter glass at 42.00 a hour so actually id look around 200-250 for a good price at a dealer. be sure to contact me with whether or not you have ever had work done to that quarter panel or not cause it looks like there has been by the way the paint is reflecting above and to the left
The following users liked this post:
SgtGoldy (11-02-2013)