Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

6MT shift knob thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Gopennst8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6MT shift **** thread

Hey everyone. Pretty new to the board and owning a g37. Im interested in changing out the stock **** on my 6MT. I don't see many threads on the board on the topic, and even fewer with photos. I understand it's a pita to remove the stock one, but I've found some good instructions. Are there any good threads with photos of aftermarket *****..like an official shift **** photo thread?

The ***** I'm interested in are the ball spherical shaped ones. I've seen a photo or two of the TWM one and have heard that voodoo might make one too. Anyone have something like this with a photo?

Also, How much lower will an aftermarket **** sit over the stock one? I'm not quite ready for a short shifter yet, and am wondering what just a new **** would look like.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Have you looked at knobmeister.com?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ARC Ti ***** are nice, the Tommy Kaira Hebi Bebi looks good too.

There's also Password JDM *****.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
There's a 6MT **** Thread? Guess it didn't catch on. Let's kick start it, maybe.

This summer I installed a tear-drop **** in solid Titanium with a brushed surface, and matching Titanium boot ring. Purchased the **** and ring as a custom job through LatheWerks.com.

I rarely describe a mod as perfect, but if I were to do that, this comes pretty close.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:43 AM
DPNx714

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Few photos of my Tommy Kaira

6MT shift knob thread-ltfdpio.jpg

6MT shift knob thread-4xrtfts.jpg

6MT shift knob thread-nnzoanq.jpg

It's much heavier than OEM, sits nice and low, and fits perfectly in my hand!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by DPNx714
Few photos of my Tommy Kaira

..pics...pics...

It's much heavier than OEM, sits nice and low, and fits perfectly in my hand!
Choman and Mik3G37S each have that same Turtle ****, and I saw them both this past weekend. You're right, that thing is seriously heavy. I don't know how they do that... fill the core with lead or something. Whatever, the heft is very nice.

I noticed you don't have a boot ring under the ****, just like them. If you measure the diameter of the base of the ****, and give the specs to Chris at LatheWerks, he'll cut you a custom ring to match, in SS, Ti or black plastic. It will really finish off that look, IMO. Otherwise, there's this gap between the **** and the boot, and this larger diameter flat area under the boot that is kind of awkward.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:28 PM
DPNx714

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Choman and Mik3G37S each have that same Turtle ****, and I saw them both this past weekend. You're right, that thing is seriously heavy. I don't know how they do that... fill the core with lead or something. Whatever, the heft is very nice.

I noticed you don't have a boot ring under the ****, just like them. If you measure the diameter of the base of the ****, and give the specs to Chris at LatheWerks, he'll cut you a custom ring to match, in SS, Ti or black plastic. It will really finish off that look, IMO. Otherwise, there's this gap between the **** and the boot, and this larger diameter flat area under the boot that is kind of awkward.
Yea most people sport these ***** without a finisher. Some members on other forums tried various finishers but preferred the look of the **** by itself. As for myself, I like how it looks now but might consider a black plastic finisher. Thanks for pointing me to LatheWerks.

By the way, I believe the core is made of brass. My only gripe about the **** was getting that turtle pointing straight.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:22 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by DPNx714
My only gripe about the **** was getting that turtle pointing straight.
I got mine yesterday. This gripe is totally true. I ended up cutting about a 1/3" of a sharpie cap; amazingly the sharpie cap fits perfectly around the shifter. Putting the sharpie cap over the shifter before putting the **** on allowed me to make the **** tight and have the turtle centered.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:20 PM
hizzle101

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
how much was your shift **** if you don't mind me asking, and did you DIY?

Originally Posted by Rochester

Old 09-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hizzle101
how much was your shift **** if you don't mind me asking, and did you DIY?
It was a custom order, in solid Titanium with a matching titanium boot ring, $165 shipped. Waited about three weeks. So worth it, and only wish I had done it when first buying the car years ago. Feels so right in the palm of your hand. And yes, I recognize the homo-erotic humor there. It's OK, I'm not proud.

For the last two years, I've been vaguely planning on getting the NISMO cylindrical ****, in brushed Titanium, while at the same time continually searching for other options. Then I had an opportunity to see the NISMO **** in person, and didn't like it at all. Finally, this summer Lego_Maniac clued me into LatheWerks, and here I am. Happy.

DIY in that you need a friend's help. One to hold channel-locks on the shifter post, and the other with channel-locks on the OEM shift-****. Some are easier than others, but mine was a PITA. Had to put some serious torque into each quarter turn, and it took almost all the threads before I could turn it by hand. Leather ripped off the OEM ****, too, so that was a loss.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-11-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:56 PM
ErikMazi
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I made a quick review and install video on a the Raceceng Shift **** for our car, would appreciate if you all checked out.

Raceceng Shift ****: Removal of old **** and install of new.

Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Very nice, Erik. Looks perfect in your black interior. Raceng make some high quality *****.

Now that you're there, it's time for a proper leather boot and a STS.

Five year bump, LOL.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
I like my G35 **** (came off my totaled G35) on my G37:

Old 06-25-2019, 07:41 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
ive always wondered wat it would look like on the g37. got pics? i had a g35 and loved that ****
Old 06-25-2019, 07:42 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
+1 for the Raceseng's. I wish they had some offerings for us slushbox drivers...

Quick Reply: 6MT shift knob thread