Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Wind noise from passenger window

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM
mpegripper
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
does anyone have a copy of this ITB? ITB07-004?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:59 AM
brianstamour
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue on my '12 coupe.. I brought it in to have it looked at and they adjusted the window (under warranty, I wasn't charged anything) but didn't replace the part. My SA said the tech said it didn't look abnormal.

Adjusting the window helped slightly but I could still hear it. I used electrical tape and it's all good now. I would still like to have it replaced so I may take it to another stealership and see if they'll do it. Luckily I have two that are similar distance so maybe I can play them against each other for my business. If not, anyone know the part number so I can replace it?
Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM
KGX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now that it's hella windy outside, I've noticed the exact same problem on my '10 coupe. it's definitely coming from the passenger side only and only at highway speeds, and the dealership said they couldn't reproduce it. has anyone found a way to fix? I tried resetting the window up/down ranges using the method that someone else described earlier... no dice.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:41 PM
brianstamour
Registered Member

I opened my door and used a strip of electrical tape along the torn area of...whatever that rubber piece is called. That fixed my issue.

I, too, took it into a dealership and they kept saying they never saw an issue with it. Not sure how something that's ripped that isn't meant to be is not an issue.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:15 AM
mpegripper
Registered Member

use permatex flowable silicone sealant, takes 2 minutes and easy clean up if you use too much and it runs down your window (use a razor blade)

Amazon.com: Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer, 1.5 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer, 1.5 oz.: Automotive
Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM
acousticapertur
Premier Member

I guess I'm not the only one who is being plagued by our recent high-winds. I haven't had the car a week, and I found out my car has this problem on the passenger side; just tried the window reset fix from page one - my window doesn't look to be that much higher than it was (driver side is much better sealed than passenger, visible in the rubber seal), but I'll give it a go and let you know if it fixed my problem. Otherwise, it's getting fixed by the dealer - only happens at freeway speeds with crosswinds, and is VERY annoying. Didn't do it on the test drive, so had no clue.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:06 PM
KGX

Originally Posted by brianstamour
I opened my door and used a strip of electrical tape along the torn area of...whatever that rubber piece is called. That fixed my issue.
Thanks! Would you mind taking a photo of where you put the tape? My weather stripping (the rubber part) is nearly five years old, but doesn't look torn in any particular spot, so I can't tell where the air is coming in from.

Originally Posted by mpegripper
use permatex flowable silicone sealant, takes 2 minutes and easy clean up if you use too much and it runs down your window (use a razor blade)
Thanks! Same question; mind taking a photo of where you put the sealant? Personally I think all these occurrences means the passenger side weather stripping design is just defective on the coupes. Maybe we could turn this into a quick DIY fix for everyone.

EDIT: so I just put down some electrical tape, and although the weather stripping on the car itself is fine, the plastic section of the door that holds the side-mirror was cracked, so maybe that's the source of my particular issue. I've taped up the crack, will report back if that does it.

Last edited by KGX; 02-11-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:49 PM
mpegripper
Registered Member

i actually have a sedan, just trying to help others having similar issues
Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

A bodyshop had to take my windows out to spray clear on it when i got fenders blended. I had wind noise over 80mph. They had to remove door panels and align windows. The rule of thumb is, if you can pull a dollar bill through the window while it's all the way up., it's not tight enough.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:07 AM
isosunrise

Just got a CPO Coupe my self and have the exact same issue. My dealer is no help I'm in NJ too. I think my window was replaced!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:08 PM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2013 coupe and thankfully have not experienced this issue. Could it be the regulator inside the door that needs to be adjusted or replaced?
Old 03-14-2015, 09:33 PM
KGX

Update: so my window support seals are DEFINITELY torn on both sides, and since it seems to happen to a lot of people, I think this part may just have a defective design that isn't built to last. pictures are attached; the driver's side has a very tiny crack (in the red box), but the passenger side has a much bigger tear on it which is about one inch long. I really think this is the source of the noise, and for reference my car is a 2010 with 45k on it.

That said, took the car to the dealership, and the service advisor at first was reluctant to do anything about it simply because it was cracked, and kept bitching about how it was purely cosmetic. I knew the CPO warranty doesn't require them to fix anything related to wind noise, pretty ****ty but true. regardless, I told them that this tear resulted in an air leak so they let a mechanic ride with me on a test drive, one trip with the passenger side window support seal taped up and one without. the mechanic definitely heard the noise, so he suggested replacing the whole mirror assembly, but again the service advisor cockblocked and said they would just replace the rubber support seal first. nothing will be done on the driver's side presumably because the crack isn't that bad.

anyway, part will be installed in about two weeks, and I'll update at that point. for those that can't get a dealership to figure it out, try checking to see if your support seals are cracked and tape them up to see if that fixes it for you.
Attached Thumbnails Wind noise from passenger window-driverside.jpg   Wind noise from passenger window-passengerside.jpg  
Old 04-04-2015, 12:57 AM
KGX

So a quick update: the cracked part on the passenger side has beem replaced, and no more wind noise!!! If your car is still under warranty and you've got this problem, go ahead and check the rubber seal for cracks and try to get your dealer to replace it. Electrical tape will still get the job done too.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:26 AM
jman09

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by KGX
So a quick update: the cracked part on the passenger side has beem replaced, and no more wind noise!!! If your car is still under warranty and you've got this problem, go ahead and check the rubber seal for cracks and try to get your dealer to replace it. Electrical tape will still get the job done too.
good to know. thanks for the update.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Broken Arrow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here, issues after body shop compromised glass alignment. It's an issue inherent to frameless door glass. After two tries, body shop gave up and reimbursed me the $125 for stealer to align glass. To this day, I sometimes still hear it. Most recently, getting a bit of that on opposite door glass, and that one is still factory aligned. Almost five years in, I'm learning to ignore certain issues. The car sure ain't getting any newer.

Quick Reply: Wind noise from passenger window