Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

LED reverse light question

Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 AM
jhenka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by harp00n
my tuning body shop did it, but it wasn't hard, they just used some kind of the metallic web to make custom housing and wired the xenon blocks directly to the battery (using the cord, that I already had for the aftermarket audio amplifier)
I actually just finished a wiring setup to make it plug and play meaning you won't need to run any wires or do any fabrication If you can swap bulbs you can put these kits in.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Canadian35x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I order these off eBay and they are really bright and look like headlights when looking through the back up Cam.

2x T10/15 Cree Q5 High Power 7W LED Reverse Light Bulbs | eBay

They are really bright, work well and are simple plug n' play
Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
^^Might be a bit late, but would be nice to see a comparison pic of stock vs these.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:05 AM
jhenka

Tried bulbs similar to those... don't waste your money, they may look pretty but give of almost zero light output. Before the Hids i ran a duplicate of these..
6K WHITE 19 LED 8W HIGH POWER BULBS 917 918 920 921 922 923 579 | 1 PAIR

I'll try to find the pic of what they looked like...
Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

jhenka, Did you do a thread on your reverse hid setup?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:22 AM
jhenka

Originally Posted by Jsolo
jhenka, Did you do a thread on your reverse hid setup?
I'm waiting on a few more kits to arrive to make sure the quality and durability holds up. As you may or may not know i have a partnership with an asian manufacturer who i've been working closely with over the past 6 months perfecting this kit. As soon as everything is approved I will have them begin production and start an initial "kick off" Group Buy. The first 10-15 people (haven't decided how many yet) to sign up will receive them at a serious discount. After that they will be available for purchase through me or other affiliated companies.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:23 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Got it.. We'll see what's involved in installation. For now add me to your list.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:34 AM
jhenka

Got it.. We'll see what's involved in installation. For now add me to your list.
You'll be the first.
In my attempt at making this idiot proof I found almost every issue you may run into. Extra wires, different ways of mounting it, different plugs into the housing, even instructions will be included. I had my 10 year old cousin wire up my car from scratch to make sure it was that easy... To be honest the kits were ready 3 months ago, but they weren't idiot proof....
Old 12-23-2011, 12:41 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Thanks. EE background here - quite familiar with wiring things up. Did the hid install on my bike. What a nightmare. Took me several hours to figure out where to stuff everything due to lack of space (even with those little card sized ballasts).

One question does come to mind. Typically HID's are non momentary devices. That is, typically after they're on, they stay on for some amount of time. In this particular application, in general most people keep their car in reverse for very short time periods. What effect will this have on the longevity of the bulbs (don't think it's much of an issue for the ballast as that is primary a digital controller of sorts)?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:58 AM
jhenka

Thanks. EE background here - quite familiar with wiring things up. Did the hid install on my bike. What a nightmare. Took me several hours to figure out where to stuff everything due to lack of space (even with those little card sized ballasts).

One question does come to mind. Typically HID's are non momentary devices. That is, typically after they're on, they stay on for some amount of time. In this particular application, in general most people keep their car in reverse for very short time periods. What effect will this have on the longevity of the bulbs (don't think it's much of an issue for the ballast as that is primary a digital controller of sorts)?
I took this issue into consideration. Don't want to go into detail just yet but to answer your question these hids aren't what your used to. They run MUCH cooler, they heat up to max brightness in less then 2 seconds and the digital ballasts have two digital monitors built in. The first one delays the light on feature by milliseconds so your reverse lights won't turn on while your flipping through the gears. The other one is a safety feature, they automatically shut off after 30 minutes to preserve your housing and the HID bulb.

Edit: To answer your non momentary question, they have a short cool down period that isn't affected if you flip it like a strobe light.

Last edited by jhenka; 12-23-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:14 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

30 minutes! That's one long back up routine
Old 12-23-2011, 01:21 AM
jhenka

30 minutes! That's one long back up routine
Hey you never know!!! Oh btw I wired mine to a switch so if somebody is tailgating me i can flip on the reverse lights blind him real quick and then dip... I'm considering adding in the wiring for this as an option... lol Won't take credit for this it was actually Stoof's idea.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
LookingToBuy

Put me on your list as well... I went with 15% tint and it's not easy to see at night
Old 12-23-2011, 10:11 PM
tekie99

put me down on the list also..
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Spingjp

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 add me to your HID reverse light kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED reverse light question