Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Avoided accident,seat belt tensioner works!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 PM
G hits the spot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avoided accident,seat belt tensioner works!

While driving home today,minding my own business in the right lane,the car in the left lane (slightly ahead of me) decides they need to be in my lane.

So without a signal he/she drifts right over and takes his rightful position.

My reaction is to pull to the right,slam on the brakes and lean on the horn.
Not sure if in that order,as it happened pretty fast.

Well the G handled perfectly,the brakes gripped,and the seat belt tightened up like a cobra,anticipating a collision.

Luckily there was no collision,but a lot of non-verbal communication exchanged.The other driver was perplexed as to why I was upset.

The moral of the story is that everything worked well,but the seat belts did not release their death grip,even after driving for a couple of minutes.

I had to unbuckle and re-buckle because they remained so tight.

So is this normal,or do I see my friendly dealer?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by G hits the spot
While driving home today,minding my own business in the right lane,the car in the left lane (slightly ahead of me) decides they need to be in my lane.

So without a signal he/she drifts right over and takes his rightful position.

My reaction is to pull to the right,slam on the brakes and lean on the horn.
Not sure if in that order,as it happened pretty fast.

Well the G handled perfectly,the brakes gripped,and the seat belt tightened up like a cobra,anticipating a collision.

Luckily there was no collision,but a lot of non-verbal communication exchanged.The other driver was perplexed as to why I was upset.

The moral of the story is that everything worked well,but the seat belts did not release their death grip,even after driving for a couple of minutes.

I had to unbuckle and re-buckle because they remained so tight.

So is this normal,or do I see my friendly dealer?
Pre-crash seatbelts perhaps? I think it's a tech package option. Can someone confirm.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
That's normal operation for the Infiniti seatbelt reel. It locks up from the inertia of your body weight being thrown forward. ln case you were involved in an accident with multiple impacts (quite common), you'd want the seatbelt to hold you in place.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:25 PM
G hits the spot

Agreed,and its happened before,but they released their tension after about 5 seconds.This time they stayed tight,could hardly breathe.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 AM
gooddeal

I think it depends on the speed and braking. For a normal driving, it just locks and releases right away. In your case, it locks and won't release until you stop the car. In a severe impact, it locks forever, you have to cut the seat belt. This is just my guess.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 AM
BillPaul

An important safety issue is why did the driver in the left lane, slightly ahead of you, move into your space? Usually, it is because the side view mirror was not properly adjusted.

Most people appear to adjust their side view mirrors so that they see the rear sides of their car. They appear to be most comfortable having a fixed reference point for the mirrors. The problem with this approach is that it shows very little beyond what the middle inside rear view mirror shows, & thereby defeats the purpose of the side mirrors.

The side mirrors are most safely applied by adjusting them so that as cars pass you, they come into view in the side mirrors as they go out of view in the inside rear view mirror. I also make sure that as cars further pass me & go out of view in the side mirrors, they are in view in my right & left peripheral vision.

This adjustment is easily confirmed as one sits at a red light with cars all around. I also periodically confirm it by observing whether there is a blind spot as cars pass me on the road. Once you get used to this method, you will no longer feel safe driving with the rear of your car in view in the side mirrors.

So, if the side view mirrors are properly adjusted, there should ordinarily be no blind spot.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:44 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cereal2k
Pre-crash seatbelts perhaps? I think it's a tech package option. Can someone confirm.
It comes with tech package.

Intelligent Seatbelts | NISSAN | TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
Old 10-30-2010, 03:14 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xixonmn
No, the seatbelts aren't motorized, they just have pretensioners on them. When you brake hard it tightens the seatbelt to hold you in place in case of a crash. The seatbelts described in the link use a motor to extend and retract the belt.

The G brochure says that the front seat belts are equipped with "pretensioners and load limiters". The technology package come with "pre-crash seatbelts" that work with the pre-crash system. Basically if the laser range finder at the front of the car detects that you're going to hit something it can trigger the pretensioners. Normally the pretensioners are only triggered if you hit the brakes hard.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:43 PM
G hits the spot

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
No, the seatbelts aren't motorized, they just have pretensioners on them. When you brake hard it tightens the seatbelt to hold you in place in case of a crash. The seatbelts described in the link use a motor to extend and retract the belt.

The G brochure says that the front seat belts are equipped with "pretensioners and load limiters". The technology package come with "pre-crash seatbelts" that work with the pre-crash system. Basically if the laser range finder at the front of the car detects that you're going to hit something it can trigger the pretensioners. Normally the pretensioners are only triggered if you hit the brakes hard.
That's exactly what I think occurred.It has happened before on the highway,but they released after about 5 seconds.

This time,they felt like a hungry python,and refused to let go until I unclicked and reinserted them?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:58 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G hits the spot
That's exactly what I think occurred.It has happened before on the highway,but they released after about 5 seconds.

This time,they felt like a hungry python,and refused to let go until I unclicked and reinserted them?
I think if you just hit the brakes hard the seatbelts tighten and then loosen after a few seconds. However, if it thinks you're going to hit something then they tighten and stay tight.

I've had both cases happen to me; sometimes they loosen right away and other times I have to "unclick" them, retract them, and then reinsert them to loosen them up.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 AM
G hits the spot

Thanks,
guess its working then
Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 AM
4drScreamer

The obvious point is they worked, you avoided an accident and you are safe and uninjured! Congrats on being alert and having good driving skills. Bet it got your heart rate up though which doesn't help having a seat belt strangling you. Glad you are OK!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:44 PM
CryofMankind

I just had this happen to me, however now the tensioner won't release. Any idea how I can get it to release?? Car has been in park, turned off, restarted, no luck.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 PM
G hits the spot

Mine released when I unbuckled them.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:56 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup

normal seat belts just lock

tech seatbelts compress when you slam on the brakes.

it's a great feature... should be standard. but heck i'm not complaining. I've got them =)

it really does give you more stability to react cause you're not being thrust forward into the stop. so your FOV remains straight.

Quick Reply: Avoided accident,seat belt tensioner works!