Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

2008 G Coupe Driver Side Window Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Perkchiro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the dealer looked at my car and ran a water hose over the top and doors and guess what? NO LEAK. I told them up front that it wouldn't leak with downward water pressure but side pressure (as in a car wash) would cause it to leak. They said that since no defect was noted, they would replace the window seals as a gesture of "good will". They claimed they've never heard of this problem, but from your posts here, it seems to be a common issue. I'll let you all know (and the dealer) if that doesn't work. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 PM
LeeAllan05

Just a follow-up,

I am now living in Mississippi (from Texas) and this is still happening to my car. It has escalated to both windows. While I continue to take my car to the dealership, and they continue to do the work, it's just a few days after picking her up before the windows begin leaking again.

My original post here was Feb '08 (just 3 months after purchasing my G37S coupe) and here it is Feb '11 and the problem has only gotten worse. Water now drains down into all 6 speakers (3 per door) and it actually drains onto my floor mats (yes, with the doors shut). It leaks when its sitting still, driving down the road or washing my car. I've given up hope that it will ever be remedied but I continue to have it addresses at the dealership.

I hate to say this, but this will most likely be my last Infiniti due to these and other issues that I've had with my car. And I treat her like she's one of my children & always have. I can't imagine what problems I'd have if I didn't care for her.

Another downside, I'll never be able to have aftermarket speakers either. How many days before they would be ruined?

Fiddlesticks!

Lee B.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 AM
roots4x

Wow doesn't sound good. A little water with high side pressure is normal. These windows are frameless after all. But driving through rain should not cause any leaking.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 PM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
same problem here, driver side was adjusted over a year ago and is good. Then notice the same thing on passenger side, the same dealer is giving me the run around. I went to a different dealer and they said it would cost me $140 to do it since warranty for adjusting window regulator only covers the 1st twelve months... wow! Infiniti is giving some of us the shaft.

All it takes is an adjustment on the window regulator, anyone know how to do this? Don't know if you need to connect to any device to do it electronically...

Mine will have water coming in just from sitting still when it rains, I had video of it on my phone.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
done!!! check out my diy, hastily put together but do-able!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ml#post3089719
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 AM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I only get the leak down the speaker when I open the door.. is that normal? it doesn't leak when the door is closed regardless how hard it rains though.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
LeeAllan05

Update from original posting

Gang,

I took your advice posted on this site & tried several things.

I took her to a new (3rd different) Infiniti dealership (spanning 3 different states, mind you). While every dealer has worked with me and tried different things such as replacing the weather strip, adjusting the height, and adjusting the angle; none have been able to permanently fix the leaking.

Dealerships make me furious sometimes because they treat most customers (well me at least) as if I know nothing about vehicles. Yet, it was me showing up in early 2007 at my local Infiniti dealer asking about the (then) new, soon-to-be-redesigned G coupe. They had NO info, tried selling me a new 2007 G35 coupe, claiming this was what I was referring to. Finally, in June-August of 2007 they called me. Info was just then getting to the salesmen. The new G37 was on her way to dealerships very soon. When I showed up in August ready to buy they started taking me seriously. I bought her in October of 2007 (as an ’08 model). After that, that original dealership where I purchased treated me a lot differently. They knew I knew this car inside & out. My point is, now I am dealing with dealerships elsewhere due to moving and 1) they are NOT car guys and 2) they don’t know my knowledge on cars and treat me like an idiot. The last 2 dealerships insisted that I was doing something to cause the window leaks. Is it legal to strangle an *******??? So, I finally reached out to Nissan, got AWESOME assistance in dealing with the service managers at these dealers and went from there. Now, the dealers really treated me like ****. They knew that I was talking to corporate because the two were having to work together to try and fix the leaks. It was the last time they accused me of causing the leaks but also the last time I felt welcome. Anyway, while dealing with the Nissan Corp. rep was a pleasant experience, the leaks were never repaired.

While on campus the other day, rain was dripping down the corner of my passenger side window, leaving a nice little faded mark on my door from the tweeter grill down to the lower door speaker. All I could think of was… “and just how in the hell did I cause this Infiniti…”

From October 2007 to present day (August 2012), both driver and passenger side windows leak. Just a week ago, rain was dripping & rolling into my tweeters. It is not likely that I will buy another Infiniti after this. I paid $47K for my car (actual paid price) and I feel I got a $30K car and the dealers have treated me like I bought a $10K car. If I were to buy another Infiniti I would be placing way too much trust and faith in the actual dealership. They just don’t care and cannot be bothered. If I ever move back to San Antonio, the gang at Gunn Infiniti were truly awesome. It was a rough start, but they came around and at least worked with me.

I love my G, I really do. But, with the lack of factory options, dealerships’ unwillingness to help in any way other than an oil change, and the inferior interior quality that has been my case – I am praying Honda bring back my true love… the Prelude.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anh3
done!!! check out my diy, hastily put together but do-able!

window glass height adjustment-no more leaks!!! - MyG37

I need to try this. My passenger side door is the only one bothering me with a small leak with harsh rains, or when I took my G to the automatic carwash (before I learned how to do it right by hand). I took it to the dealer and the Svc Mgr said to me that it was a known issue that some water leaks in through the frameless window and travels down the door and drips inside down the outside of the speaker grill. She offered no fix at all.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Dazed&Confused1

Anybody having any problems with wind noise from the driver side window. I have had two different 2009 G37's (first one got totaled) and both have the same wind noise issue on the driver side. Dealership replaced weather strip but I can still hear a little bit of wind noise on the highway. I have no water leaks as of yet. (crossing my fingers)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 PM
LeeAllan05

I recently had my battery replaced. In doing this, the dealer reset several things; one of those being the windows. That very same day, I noticed that I was hearing a lot of wind noise (more than ever). Due to my many visits to the dealer for leaks, my windows have been adjusted many times. I think when they reset them they loosened the fit. I am overwhelmed by the amount of noise from the tires and wind traveling over the side mirrors. Since the closest dealer is located in Narnia for me, I've yet to check with them. Just more issues that my 2 Preludes never had...
Old 08-23-2013, 12:57 PM
rkirkb

Design Flaw

Originally Posted by LeeAllan05
Gang,

Ever since I purchased my G37S Coupe back in 2008, the rubber seal on my driver's side window leaks. Water drips straight into my tweeter and the 'middle' speaker on the door. I've returned my car roughly 12-15 times over the years to get it fixed. While my dealer does a great job, many time it will leak the same day I pick it up from Infiniti. They've replaced the seal several times over and they even 'raised the window' so that when it rolls up it rolls a tab bid higher than normal for a tighter fit.

Has anyone had any issues with the rubber seals leaving way for water leaking into the car & speakers?

Many thanks,
Lee B.
Yes, but on the passenger side and only once in 5 years. The dealership fixed it but it was a bit more expensive than I expected.

The bigger issue was that if my car happened to be parked on mine or another driveway, with any kind of incline, during a rainstorm then water would collect above the air intake motor and spill into the car from behind the glove box as soon as the car was backed on to the level road.

After 11 days in the shop at the dealership and me actually having to show the dealership mechanic myself with my garden hose, in my driveway (seems he didn't take my description of the issue seriously) where and how the water was coming in. They finally called the regional engineer and found out that this is a design flaw and their solution was to make sure that if it was going to rain and my car was outside then to make sure the car was parked with the nose slanting down.

Service manager A- (should have called the engineer sooner but great otherwise) Mechanic D- (generous grade as he should have been able to re-create the issue without having to drive the car back to my house) Dealership overall C+ I now have hesitation about going back to Infiniti for my 3rd Infiniti.

Hope to save others from this frustration
Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM
sbowden99

I had the water leak issue above the tweeters on both sides. The dealer replaced the weatherstrip and finisher and the problem is solved, hopefully permanently.

cheers,
--Ben

2008 G-37 Journey Coupe
Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 AM
sleestak25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I covered this in a similar post but I used a piece of electrical tape to mend the ripped piece back together and it's been holding tight for a year now. Cost to repair through dealer was around $250 to replace. Here are the pics. Focus on the top corer. That's where the electrical tape is covering the rip.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 G Coupe Driver Side Window Leak-img_8020.jpg   2008 G Coupe Driver Side Window Leak-img_8021.jpg   2008 G Coupe Driver Side Window Leak-img_8022.jpg   2008 G Coupe Driver Side Window Leak-img_8019.jpg  

Last edited by sleestak25; 01-14-2016 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
G37XS13 (02-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Masterpiece

Stop!

Stop!!!! You guys are overthinking this. I had the same problem and all I had to do to fix it was
1. roll the window all the way down
2. hold it there for 5 seconds
3. Roll it all the way back up
4. hold the button up for 5 seconds
This will reset the window!
Do one window at a time
You're welcome 😎
Old 02-09-2017, 07:25 PM
sbowden99

Actually, I did the window reset procedure you describe above and still had leaks. To solve the problem required new weather stripping and for the dealer to literally raise the window seating point. Hopefully it doesn't recur.

Quick Reply: 2008 G Coupe Driver Side Window Leak