Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Front winshield tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmo420
I have no problems seeing at night. I only have trouble parallel park at night, which is easily solved by rolling my windows down. If it was any darker then it would be a problem and i wouldnt keep it on my car.

Doesnt that also go the same for slamming your car and stretching your tires. a blown tire or a ripped off bumper could be a real danger to other drivers/pedestrians.

nobody can tell my windshield is tinted unless i mention it and sometimes they still cant even tell from the inside. I just dont think its a big enough factor to put my life and others at risk.
Well, I’ve heard this rational before, i.e., “I have no problem seeing at night.” The problem is you DO have a problem seeing at night, but you either don’t realize it, or are trying to rationalize it away. You see (no pun intended), you cannot defy the laws of physics or human anatomy, that says if you cut down the amount of light coming into an automobile at night then your eyes have somewhat less viewing power.

But don’t take my word for it, test it yourself. Step out of the car and view a dim object at night, and then put on a pair of sunglasses and look at it again (for a 25% test use very dark glasses!). Do you see the object exactly the same as before? Of course not. The view has been somewhat compromised. To what degree, is the issue here.

In a way, you’ve already admitted that there’s a problem by saying you have trouble parallel parking at night unless you roll down the windows. That curb or other car you’re not able to see too well from the side with the windows up could be child crossing the street. Yes I know, children shouldn’t be out on the streets at night, but isn’t that more rationalization?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Well, I’ve heard this rational before, i.e., “I have no problem seeing at night.” The problem is you DO have a problem seeing at night, but you either don’t realize it, or are trying to rationalize it away. You see (no pun intended), you cannot defy the laws of physics or human anatomy, that says if you cut down the amount of light coming into an automobile at night then your eyes have somewhat less viewing power.

But don’t take my word for it, test it yourself. Step out of the car and view a dim object at night, and then put on a pair of sunglasses and look at it again (for a 25% test use very dark glasses!). Do you see the object exactly the same as before? Of course not. The view has been somewhat compromised. To what degree, is the issue here.

In a way, you’ve already admitted that there’s a problem by saying you have trouble parallel parking at night unless you roll down the windows. That curb or other car you’re not able to see too well from the side with the windows up could be child crossing the street. Yes I know, children shouldn’t be out on the streets at night, but isn’t that more rationalization?

I know it impairs my vision but like i said not to a degree where i feel unsafe or uncomfortable. 70% is an extremely light tint.

I dunno why you decided to randomly attack me when I was just trying to help out the op. There are people on this board with mods that are way more illegal and dangerous than a simple 70% windshield tint. why dont you go give them a hard time cuz im over trying to justify my tints with you. im keeping them and i honestly dont care if you have a problem with them or not, so relax. i dont want my tints to be responsible for your heart attack
Old 03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

I dunno why you decided to randomly attack me when I was just trying to help out the op. There are people on this board with mods that are way more illegal and dangerous than a simple 70% windshield tint. why dont you go give them a hard time cuz im over trying to justify my tints with you. im keeping them and i honestly dont care if you have a problem with them or not, so relax. i dont want my tints to be responsible for your heart attack
I wasn’t attacking you; I was just debating the current topic. I’m sorry if I gave you that impression. But I guess we’ve gone as far as can be useful on the issue.

As far as other illegal mods are concerned, my record is one of an equal opportunity disdain.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:16 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
right, it's always the illegal modders who will complain when they get a ticket with something like, "don't they have better things to do". Why put yourself in the cross hairs for trouble. It's not like the G is a subtle car, it stands out. That's why I'm going with legal tint myself.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO windsheild tint is less dangerous than side and rear window tint. Atleast with the windsheild you have 2 headlights to light the road, with the the side and rear you only have the road lights.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I know it impairs my vision but like i said not to a degree where i feel unsafe or uncomfortable. 70% is an extremely light tint.

In Checkov's defense (although I don't always agree with him), he's not picking on you. He shares his opinion on all illegal mods for everyone, he's mentioned his disdain for illegal window tint, no front plate, illegal exhaust mods, and probably several other mods that I cant remember at the moment. It's just his opinion of why doing it legal is his choice and why he feels it should be everyone's choice. I've yet to see him get disrespectful of anyone personally, just vigorously state his views on it. I have yet to hear of him putting a gun to anyone's head and making them do it yet, although I probably shouldn't have just given him the idea...

One thing he is 100% right about is rationalization of it. No matter how we try to spin it, it is illegal. There is some reason for that although many of us may disagree with the reasons. We can rationale it any way you want, but that doesn't make it any safer or legal. We may choose to ignore it and face the consequences as you mentioned. I do too with some of my mods in some instances. But I'm with Chekov not tinting the windshield.

Last edited by Black Betty; 03-29-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I gotta go with the russian as well, when comes down to it, SAFETY trumps coolness! my 2 rubles
Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Thanks , I appreciate the support.

Pavel Chekov
Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
kevshiau
Registered Member

i apologise for the misinterpretation. i guess i just took it the wrong way.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
WhiteAWDcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as far as the safety issue goes, i dont think its due to not being able to see...what ive heard from a cop ive spoken to, he says its because the tint will not allow the windshield to give when/if you get in an accident.........he has 5% all around and 35 % on windshield btw LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 03:28 PM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is interesting because down in my country(summer all year long) its normal for us to have tints all ard, mine is on 40%front, 60% all ard. But then again traffic is so sh#*ty in my country that you can barely go fast, so i guess theres no such thing as safety issue in my country, or more like its a thirdworld/developing country so the government has more things in their hands to deal with rather than putting laws on tinting. But its interesting about tinting in the states.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

it also helps when the sun is directly in your eyes too, which can actaualy help prevent accidents
Old 03-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

it also helps when the sun is directly in your eyes too, which can actaualy help prevent accidents
If that is true, and of course I don’t think it is, then the government should mandate that all front windshields come OEM with 35% tint. This could be the greatest advancement in automotive safety since safety glass itself.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Raizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always wanted to tint my front windshield but I can never decide if I want 70% or 50%. Would be nice if I can see in person for comparison. I might end up just going with 70% to be on the safe side
Old 03-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Raizon
I've always wanted to tint my front windshield but I can never decide if I want 70% or 50%. Would be nice if I can see in person for comparison. I might end up just going with 70% to be on the safe side
With that OEM gradual-tinted top portion, you may already have 70% on the front windshield.

Quick Reply: Front winshield tint