Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 PM
JMacsG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put 35% all around on mine which I'm getting ready to change. i'm going to 20 on the sides and 10 or 5 in the back windows. When in doubt...go darker, you won't regret it. Only like 40 % is legal in Ohio but I'm not too worried, if you get pulled over just roll the window down.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jtla
Opps! When I said front windows, I meant front-door windows. I would never tint the windshield.

Thanks for the link. So, according to this site, it would appear that 30% is the darkest allowed for front-door windows while no limit for rear-doors and back. Am I right? I saw many people here put 35%. I wonder if it is taking a chance on margin of error? (I mean, the difference between 30% and 35% tint can be hard to tell by naked eyes.)
No, for the front door windows you can go no darker than 70% to remain legal in California. As you say, anthing is OK for the rears. It seems to make sense to me as one poster mentioned here, it is almost impossible for him to see anything from the sides at night with 35% tint.

It’s really an important consideration: Do you want your car to look real “cool” with illegal tints and thereby risk a bad accident at night, or do you want to acknowledge that tint laws exist to enhance road safety?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Remo101

Here are a couple of pics of 15% metalized Llumar tint.

Name:  Picture2017.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  Picture2021.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  99.5 KB

The wheels are FOR SALE by the way.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheel-a...nvo-tires.html
Old 02-17-2010, 03:43 AM
thewildcat

Originally Posted by jtla
It looks really nice!

It seems that you have 35% on front windows, too. I thought you cannot do so in CA. I was pulled over by a CHP office a few years back when I had a Nissan maxima. He said that the darkest tint allowed by law for front windows had been applied by the manufacturer, so any additional tint by the owner would be illegal. It was prabably BS, but does any one know for sure what is the limit(s) in California for tinting windows without getting citation?
Shhhhh about my front windows.

As others have mentioned, in Cali you can only have 70% on the front windows. For the rear, you can use any darkness. I chose 35% all around (except for windshield) for 3 primary reasons:

1) Reduces the chances of getting a fix it ticket. Anything darker and I'd be more nervous for getting noticed.
2) I think having different shades (e.g., lighter on the front and darker on the back) looks absolutely horrible, but that's just me.
3) Nighttime visibility isn't severely compromised by the 35% shade.

Some people like it darker, but 35% was perfect for me. I think it looks classy.

Also, you aren't suppose to tint the windshield either, but there are plenty of tint shops that will do exactly that in Socal. Llumar (same company as F1) has come out with a line called Air Blue that was designed for windshield installation (i.e., to have better heat rejection properties at lighter shades).
Old 02-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's up man I saw u on here talking bout tints. I have 15 percent all the way around and it looks great. If I went with 5 percent all the way around how do u think that would be with cops and seeing at night? Should I leave the 15? Do u think that 15 looked dark when u looked at it from the outside during the day time?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti7
What's up man I saw u on here talking bout tints. I have 15 percent all the way around and it looks great. If I went with 5 percent all the way around how do u think that would be with cops and seeing at night? Should I leave the 15? Do u think that 15 looked dark when u looked at it from the outside during the day time?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-con...g-and-you.html
Old 02-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Arvig

Originally Posted by Infiniti7

Not to flame you, but didn't you ask this over and over again in a thread until the thread got locked?

I guess to answer, looking at just the photo of the guy with 15 percent tint, IMO it looks cool but just to guess based on looking into the car it would be too dark for driving at night. 5 percent IMO would be way too dark. Would probably get you pulled over too, I could see the 15 percent in that photo getting people pulled over locally.

Now, if you want to ask this again, great! Guess what, I'll cut and paste my answer and post it again for you!