Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:47 PM
RosarioMatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint

I recently bought a 2009 G37x....the color is black with tan interior......i bought the chrome pillars and now i wanna put a tint on the windows. Where i live anything below 35% is illegal. Im def going below that, im just undecided on how dark to get.....any input would be great.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:25 PM
L-GT

On the sedan, we got 35% front and 20%. Its a decent contrast to me. Same law applies here in Texas, 35% is as low as it can go in the driver window.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if u did go with the 35 percent make sure u tint the rear back window dark it helps alot to make the whole car darker because thats where alot of light comes in on the car. I have black on black and i have the 4 windows 35percent and the rear back 18 percent and it looks dark. In Massachusetts you have to go through inspection stickers yearly and it can be tough if the front windows are not legal they will fail you
Old 02-14-2010, 02:19 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I got 20% all around, except the windshield, looks good on my LP and people can't see inside the car even when standing next to it.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:32 PM
cdso

On my last G I had 20% 3M all the way around except the front. The legal limit here in Maryland is 35% as well. I never had an issue with a cop regarding the tint, but I've heard some cops will chase you down for illegal tints. We don't have annual inspections here so it's not as big a deal.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:46 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cdso
On my last G I had 20% 3M all the way around except the front. The legal limit here in Maryland is 35% as well. I never had an issue with a cop regarding the tint, but I've heard some cops will chase you down for illegal tints. We don't have annual inspections here so it's not as big a deal.
I'm not sure what the tint level is on my G, but it's darker than I'm accustomed to (it came that way).

At night in dimly lit areas I find that it's hard to see where I'm turning in tight residential areas. I keep the seat back fairly far (6' tall) and when I look out the side window to the area I'm turning into (when turning left) I can't see a damn thing. I find myself learning forward and looking around the front left column just so I can see the street I'm turning into. If I had a choice, I'd go a shade lighter on the tint.

Maybe I will appreciate the tint this summer, in the Dallas heat! (have only had it since November)
Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 PM
cdso

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I'm not sure what the tint level is on my G, but it's darker than I'm accustomed to (it came that way).

At night in dimly lit areas I find that it's hard to see where I'm turning in tight residential areas. I keep the seat back fairly far (6' tall) and when I look out the side window to the area I'm turning into (when turning left) I can't see a damn thing. I find myself learning forward and looking around the front left column just so I can see the street I'm turning into. If I had a choice, I'd go a shade lighter on the tint.

Maybe I will appreciate the tint this summer, in the Dallas heat! (have only had it since November)
I had 35% put on the G37 today. Doesn't look quite as good as 20%, but at least I'll be able to see better at night. I think a 27 or 28% would be perfect. Also had paint protection film put on. Looks good.

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
thewildcat

I had my '09 g37 sedan installed with 35% F1 Pinnacle last week for $299 OTD. Here are some picts (sorry for the bad iPhone quality). The heat reduction is great as it's been getting warmer here in LA.
Attached Thumbnails Window Tint-photo-1.jpg   Window Tint-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 02-15-2010, 11:18 PM
cdso

Originally Posted by thewildcat
I had my '09 g37 sedan installed with 35% F1 Pinnacle last week for $299 OTD. Here are some picts (sorry for the bad iPhone quality). The heat reduction is great as it's been getting warmer here in LA.
Looks good!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 PM
RosarioMatt

Thanks for the input...i think im leaning towards 25% all round except windshield. i will be sure to add some pics when its all said and done.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:09 PM
RosarioMatt

If anybody has any pics of 20-25% i would love to see the.......
Old 02-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have 35% F1 on my G as well and love it. Perfect percent for me.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:57 PM
jtla

It looks really nice!

It seems that you have 35% on front windows, too. I thought you cannot do so in CA. I was pulled over by a CHP office a few years back when I had a Nissan maxima. He said that the darkest tint allowed by law for front windows had been applied by the manufacturer, so any additional tint by the owner would be illegal. It was prabably BS, but does any one know for sure what is the limit(s) in California for tinting windows without getting citation?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jtla
It seems that you have 35% on front windows, too. I thought you cannot do so in CA. I was pulled over by a CHP office a few years back when I had a Nissan maxima. He said that the darkest tint allowed by law for front windows had been applied by the manufacturer, so any additional tint by the owner would be illegal. It was prabably BS, but does any one know for sure what is the limit(s) in California for tinting windows without getting citation?
No, it’s not BS, as per this:

California Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com

The top 4” mentioned in the law above is what comes from the factory. You’re allowed nothing else on the windshield.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM
jtla

Opps! When I said front windows, I meant front-door windows. I would never tint the windshield.

Thanks for the link. So, according to this site, it would appear that 30% is the darkest allowed for front-door windows while no limit for rear-doors and back. Am I right? I saw many people here put 35%. I wonder if it is taking a chance on margin of error? (I mean, the difference between 30% and 35% tint can be hard to tell by naked eyes.)

Quick Reply: Window Tint