Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

wind shield

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:24 PM
J.Oh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wind shield

i have small chip in my windshield looks like a rock hit it at high speeds its not cracking but there is a millimeter if not less of a circle missing from my windshield about half a millimeter deep its near the top of my windshield where its black so the sun doesn't hit your eyes its on the outside and should i be worried about this? i dont think i need to be but just to be on the safe side. also couldnt figure out what made this mark ill try to take a picture of it but looks like its not going to show up in pictures especially not with my camera phone.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Doesn't sound like anything too serious... Hard to tell though without pictures... Does it have a "spider-web" look to it?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 PM
vonzip

Glass coverage?

Homeless i had a star on my windshield and called state farm, VIOLA , its fixed ! No deductable, or cost whatsoever. They came over to my home and put in a brand new one! Vonzip
Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
wuuuuuuuu

Insurance companies replace wind shields!?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:19 AM
J.Oh

Originally Posted by vonzip
Homeless i had a star on my windshield and called state farm, VIOLA , its fixed ! No deductable, or cost whatsoever. They came over to my home and put in a brand new one! Vonzip
im on highpoint wonder if they do...

Originally Posted by gamedog
Doesn't sound like anything too serious... Hard to tell though without pictures... Does it have a "spider-web" look to it?
no its not spider webbing but is bugging me i noticed yesterday while i was checking out the car and was wtf? i thought it was just dirt and i started rubbing it and noticed my finger was scrapping against something and looked closer a little bit of the windshield was missing like uhhh wtf is going on
Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 PM
gdub172

Check with your insurance. Some insurance company has this covered. Had a couple of small chipped smaller than a dime and just had mine repaired yesterday. Insurance covered it.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
InfiniDrew

If it's just a small crack (smaller than the size of a dollar bill) or bullseye, then any windshield repair guys can seal it up with some weird stuff that makes it dissapear. It's absolutely amazing and really cheap! But if the small crack goes to the edge, then you're hosed and need a new windshield.

A windsheild repair or replacement is probably the easist repair I've ever had done. They come to wherever you ask them to and can replace the whole thing in less than an hour. You don't even have to be there until the end to sign the paperwork (but I wouldn't leave my Gigi exposed with some strangers in an open parking lot).

Interestingly, in Florida, insurance companies replace windshields for free...but they sure don't (for free) in GA. (yes, I've had a few windshields over the past few years)
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
^ Girlfriend chase you with a pitching wedge?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find these windshields seem to nick at the slightest grain of sand - don't know if it's a japanese glass thing since I saw this on my prior vehicle as well.

As stated if the chip looks like it has any crack in it you should bring it to a windshield glass shop and they can repair it for usually $50 which most insurance companies will cover since they'd rather you repair it than letting it eventually crack and cost them more to replace.

If it doesn't have a crack but you still want to do something they sell windshield repair kits at the local auto parts store that has the same resin used by the repair shops. I did that and use the resin sparingly from the tube to fill in the nick and it will cure in natural sunlight. You don't need to use the syringe for pressurizing the resin since that's only if you have cracking and need the resin to fill into them.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:15 PM
InfiniDrew

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
^ Girlfriend chase you with a pitching wedge?

lol, not quite...but I sometimes think Mother Nature has it out for me.

At least it's nowhere near as bad as this guy:

wind shield-pickaxe_car.jpg
Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by InfiniDrew
Interestingly, in Florida, insurance companies replace windshields for free...but they sure don't (for free) in GA. (yes, I've had a few windshields over the past few years)
This has been discussed before. It's not a State thing. Some insurance companies, like mine (USAA), will repair or replace a windshield for free, with no deductible, in any State.