Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

A/C is very LOUD. Whats the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was kind of wishing It was normal...I guess I need to take it in.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya that doesn't sound normal at all.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 AM
chasemyaccord

Humming? Could it be that you have something stuck in your air conditioning vents? I've had this happen in my Accord before and the dealership removed some sort of debris that got sucked in (candy wrapper or something I think).
Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Humming? Could it be that you have something stuck in your air conditioning vents? I've had this happen in my Accord before and the dealership removed some sort of debris that got sucked in (candy wrapper or something I think).
LOL...I hope my 4 month old car doesn't have snack wrappers in it! I don't think I'll be able to figure out the problem without taking it in.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'm not an expert, but what you describe sounds electrical not mechanical becasue you say the hum gets louder when you rev the engine and not based on fan speed. If it's not the normal sound of the fan motor itself, and not the wind noise form the fan moving air at high speed, I'd say you have an issue with the fan motor, perhaps bad bearings or brushes? Just a guess. Definately take it in and have it looked at right away. If you can bear it, i wouldn't use it until having it checked out just in case.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'm not an expert, but what you describe sounds electrical not mechanical becasue you say the hum gets louder when you rev the engine and not based on fan speed. If it's not the normal sound of the fan motor itself, and not the wind noise form the fan moving air at high speed, I'd say you have an issue with the fan motor, perhaps bad bearings or brushes? Just a guess. Definately take it in and have it looked at right away. If you can bear it, i wouldn't use it until having it checked out just in case.
I think you are right about it being electrical. I had a similar type of noise that responded to the engine with an another car. It was due to an aux input I had connected to a Sirius radio that was getting feed back from the cigarette lighter in the car that it was powered by. I had to buy a filter at radio shack to fix it. This sound is similar, but is linked to the climate control being on...and the other sound came from the speakers where this is coming from behind the dash.

Its been like this for months with no change so I don't think its urgent to check it out. I might have to wait a week or two before I have time to take it in.

The problem doesn't occur 100%...I just hope its doing it when I take it in or they might have no idea what I'm talking about, since it doesn't seem like anyone has had this issue other then me.

Last edited by ohseedee; 03-12-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah but a/c should not be gettin louder with throttle ??

take the car in and get it fixed under warranty
Old 03-12-2008, 01:05 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is very quiet unless the fan is on max....
Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

I tried to get it to make the sound during my drive to work this morning, but everything sounded fine. I really wish I could recreate the situation that causes it, which might help understand whats going wrong. I'll keep playing with it and take notice of whats going on, hopefully its not completely random.

This is really odd.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:44 PM
chasemyaccord

Oh yeah, forgot that you said it varies depending on the throttle. N/m my previous guess. Take it in like everyone else said.

Since we're on the subject, damn our a/c works pretty damn well. I turned on the cold air for a minute and I was already freezing my @$$ off. The auto feature actually seems to come off a bit stronger than I expected.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

So played around with it today. Its just the A/C not the fan. I'll turn the fan on full blast with no sound, then i push the A/C button and the sound starts up. Doesn't matter if the A/C is on high or low...same sound. Also, the sound is not exactly a hum, its more of a very fast rattle/hum.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM
leeladisky

It's the compressor or the compressor cluth, I have to bring mine in for the same problem.

L
Old 03-14-2008, 02:44 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by leeladisky
It's the compressor or the compressor cluth, I have to bring mine in for the same problem.

L
How did you find out that was the problem? If I keep using the AC for awhile longer until I take it in will it cause any problems? How long will it take to fix? I don't to part with my car for too long.

Thanks for the info. Sorry about your car, but I'm glad I'm not alone.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by ohseedee
How did you find out that was the problem? If I keep using the AC for awhile longer until I take it in will it cause any problems? How long will it take to fix? I don't to part with my car for too long.

Thanks for the info. Sorry about your car, but I'm glad I'm not alone.
Yes it can. You shouldn't run the compressor at all if you suspect the compressor or clutch are the problem. To replace it only takes maybe a couple of hours or so, at least on most cars I've dealt with. It's the type of part that should be in stock. If I were you, I'd take it in immediately.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:15 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Yes it can. You shouldn't run the compressor at all if you suspect the compressor or clutch are the problem. To replace it only takes maybe a couple of hours or so, at least on most cars I've dealt with. It's the type of part that should be in stock. If I were you, I'd take it in immediately.
Ok thanks. I wont be able to take it in until late next week. Its hot in SoCal so I have to run the AC until then. It should be ok since I've been running it like this for months. I'll let you guys know how it goes after I take it in.

Quick Reply: A/C is very LOUD. Whats the problem?