Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Seat Lowering Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:52 PM
dalmond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Lowering Mod

Did the seat mod on my G and gained about 3/4".
Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 PM
pass1over

Originally Posted by vINCe_Inc
by losening a bolt, does that 'un-secure' the seat in any way ?
no
The motor that makes the seat go up and down travels along the threaded rod under the seat. The nut and washer on the end is the stop for the motor.

The only way to hurt anything would be to take the nut off and mve the seat all the way down so it comes off that rod, but I dont think its possible.

The G37 does not have an acorn nut like the 35s did. Its a 12mm flanged hex nut.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 PM
mseibel
Registered Member

Are there any pics posted for this process (on the G37 --- I know about the G35 seat adjusment details)
Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

I'd like to lower the driver's seat on my G37 and second request for the mod pix if anyone got them. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 PM
mishmosh

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by avsBuddy
I'd like to lower the driver's seat on my G37 and second request for the mod pix if anyone got them. Thanks!
Just did a diy with pics, using the info from this thread. Thanks to my G37 brethren for this!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by mishmosh:
avsBuddy (11-24-2023), the_wolff (02-17-2017)
Old 11-19-2011, 01:43 PM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

Thanks mishmosh for the guide. I will attempt the mod this Sunday! I have couple of comments though. You mentioned that when you removed both thick and the raised washer, rubber bushing doesn't get compressed all the way. Does it mean that the motor assembly is being supported not by the washers but by the end of the thread? In this case it's not a safe setup, because all weight of the seat is being held back by last span of the thread, rather then evenly distributed on washer.
I'm considering keeping all the hardware, and just lowering the nut to the lowest position where it fully encompasses the thread. I agree with you that rubber bushing having it's own metal washers on both side might not necessitate a separate large washer. But I wonder if it's absence will put excessive pressure on the rubber bushing long term...
But again, we are all adults here and do all mods at our own risk. Thanks for the detailed DIY. I will post update on how mine goes.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:44 PM
tbone12

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive done the mod, it took 20 seconds and its pretty cool
Old 11-26-2011, 10:26 PM
mishmosh

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by avsBuddy
Does it mean that the motor assembly is being supported not by the washers but by the end of the thread? In this case it's not a safe setup, because all weight of the seat is being held back by last span of the thread, rather then evenly distributed on washer.
I'm considering keeping all the hardware, and just lowering the nut to the lowest position where it fully encompasses the thread. I agree with you that rubber bushing having it's own metal washers on both side might not necessitate a separate large washer. But I wonder if it's absence will put excessive pressure on the rubber bushing long term...
I am not sure why the rubber bushing doesn't get compressed when you eliminate the thick washer and replace the raised washer with a flat one. The bumper assembly doesn't seem to support the weight of the seat at all given the angle of the rod, but just serves as a stop--when the motor encounters the resistence of the bumper, it stops. From what I can see, when you take out a washer and replace the raised washer with a flat one, it is almost as if the lower limit is somehow preset--the motor just stops mainly on it's own, rather than the rubber bumper. It also doesn't look like the actual gearing comes off the rod at all, just maybe part of the plastic on the end. From what I can tell, it is safe.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Skeptic74

Originally Posted by beeter!
I just took delivery two days ago, and this is the first thing that I did. There's not really anything accessible from behind the seat on the G37, but there's a 12mm nut accessible from the front that has the same function. So, for the G37, the steps are something like:

1. Raise the seat up all the way and move it all the way back.
2. Look for a nut on a threaded rod underneath the seat, towards the front, pretty close to the door-side edge. It should be a rounded-top 12mm.
3. Loosen that nut as far as you feel comfortable (I used a screwdriver with a 12mm socket attached; I had to use a pair of vice grips on the screwdriver handle to get it moving, but from there on I was able to just turn it with my hand).
4. Make sure that the washer behind the nut moves forward with the nut.
5. Enjoy your additional headroom.

By moving the nut all the way to the end of the rod, I only got 1/4"-1/2" of additional headroom, but I'll take everything that I can get (6'6" tall). I might loosen it a bit more or take out the thick rubber washer in a little while if I decide that I need more headroom still.
I have tried loosenning the nut all the way and see no noticeable increase in headroom. It seems the seat is as low as it goes and just won't go any further.
I'm 5'10" and get bad back pains driving my 2011 g37xs coupe longer then a few minutes. It almost seems the steering wheel is too far away and the pedals are too close, and since I can't tilt the seat forward vertically enough (otherwise my head touches the ceiling) I must be slouching forward ever so slightly to reach the wheel. This becomes unbearable, I am thinking of purchasing some recaro sport seats, but I think I might end up with the same issue if they can't be lowered sufficiently either. I may have to sell this car and it's less then a month old!
Old 11-24-2023, 03:28 PM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

I'm 12 years too late with my mod update, but thought I say that I did it and was able to lower my car seat that I could enjoy my time in it all these years! I'm 6'2" btw. Have not had any issues with my driver seat as a result of this mod. Have been raising and lowering it as needed. Since it has been so long I don't remember exactly which parts I removed and which ones I kept, but I'm pretty sure that the thick rubber had to go to give me max headroom. I've sat in the latest (2024?) coup version of successor to my car, and driver seat situation is even worse that it was in my stock G37. I don't know why Infiniti likes to eliminate tall drivers from its potential buyers.

Last edited by avsBuddy; 11-24-2023 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:09 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts
I didn't know this existed but good to know! I'm 6'4' but I don't have any issues with headroom.