Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Thoughts On Batteries i.e. Braille Lightweight etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 05:19 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Thoughts On Batteries i.e. Braille Lightweight etc

Hey all. Wanted to start a conversation and get some general thoughts on aftermarket lightweight battery options for our platform. Wanted to see how many people - if any - have tried using or successfully used any lighter, fancier batteries out there. For example, I'm looking through JEGS on some Braille batteries that seem comparable in cost to your run-of-the-mill-Walmart-car battery give or take. Therefore, even if it's a slightly higher initial cost, I wonder if it's reliably usable over a comparable period of time and therefore "worth it" with regard to even something as simple as weight reduction savings. Granted, it's not making a HUGE difference, but we all know any bit helps. And going from something like a 40-50lb stock battery to something crazy like this 9.5lb lightweight battery is kind of a big deal lol. I've also been toying around with the idea of a trunk relocation job for the battery anyway. I've done it successfully on prior vehicles I've modded (supercharged 5.9l Jeep GC, Subaru WRX, and Honda Prelude). The only car out of that list that seemed to struggle with the relocation was the Jeep. Then again, there were immeasurable mystery issues with that one lol.

Braille Battery Advanced AGM Lightweight Racing Battery 9.5 lbs

My curiosity specifics are something like:
  • Any foreseeable issues with battery relocation (trunk)? i.e. make sure to use large enough gauge wires, maybe install an appropriate in-line fuse for the positive connection somewhere between the battery terminal and engine bay "power block"?
  • Any concerns over the longevity of something like the battery in the link above?
  • Any thoughts or concerns about the functional ability of the lightweight battery to provide consistent enough power for all necessary daily vehicle operation? PS: No fancy aftermarket stereo equipment installed or anything else aftermarket at all that requires any additional power
  • Concerns over Pulse, Hot, and/or Cold Cranking Amp ratings? For example, the battery recommended for the G37 by Odyssey's website is this one: ODYSSEY Performance Battery ODP-AGM35 which has specs such as: Pulse/Hot Ctranking Amps 1200, HCA 900, MCA 770, CCA 675
  • Compared to the BRAILLE specs: PCA (guessing pulse/hot?) 813 and CCA (cold) 323:

I think the CCA discrepancy is what concerns me the most initially. Specifically, I'm in Colorado where it's not uncommon to have a few cold AF days during the winter lol....