Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

What are some batteries that shave weight, but not CCA's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Question What are some batteries that shave weight, but not CCA's?

I have a '13 G37S sedan 6spd. that, like most of my cars, I am trying to shave some weight. I think the battery is a good place to shave weight, but I cannot lose CCA's for our cold winters in WI.

I am not having any luck finding a lightweight battery for my car that has the same or more CCA's than I have stock. Please let me know if you know of, or have tried some options that work. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2017, 02:21 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
What scale you looking at when looking at lithium batteries? I have had a BTL35A480C for a year now. 3 pounds, and doing great. But I can't really comment on cold starts as it only got down to about 19 degrees this past winter.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well, that battery is definitely light. However, it has 100 CCA less than stock. Not ideal for WI winters when we had a few days -20 or -30 degrees last winter.

I am surprised that battery is working ok for you because when I go to the Battery Tender website, their "battery selector" does not even include a section for automobiles. They are all for ATV's, motorcycles, etc.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:44 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Another guy on here is using a LFX36L3-BS12, reports it does well. It has 540 reported LCA. Keep in mind as well that the SEA has yet to come up with a good measure of CCA for lithium batteries yet. Most are list as LCA since the black magic and leprechauns in the lithium batteries are a different beast from the lead acid battery world.

But yea, no issues at all with mine. Left it for a few weeks a couple times and no issues. Tons of ons and offs, no issue. I DD my car so it sees normal abuse as well as spirited whipping in the mountains. I think i got the idea form the BRZ/FRS crowd. i don't recall where I saw it (the BTL35A480C specifically) being used first.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zer099
Another guy on here is using a LFX36L3-BS12, reports it does well. It has 540 reported LCA. Keep in mind as well that the SEA has yet to come up with a good measure of CCA for lithium batteries yet. Most are list as LCA since the black magic and leprechauns in the lithium batteries are a different beast from the lead acid battery world.

But yea, no issues at all with mine. Left it for a few weeks a couple times and no issues. Tons of ons and offs, no issue. I DD my car so it sees normal abuse as well as spirited whipping in the mountains. I think i got the idea form the BRZ/FRS crowd. i don't recall where I saw it (the BTL35A480C specifically) being used first.
When I searched for LFX36L3-BS12 I came up with this motorcycle battery with only 145CCA: Shorai 12V Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery - Parts Giant Is this the one you are talking about?

I am glad to hear the battery is working out for you and I am game for a Lithium battery if it is lighter and lasts longer. But it does not look like either of these are really designed for a car.

Maybe I just don't know enough about Lithium batteries for cars. I am familiar with Lithium batteries in electric cars like the Leaf, but that is it's main power source and does not need CCA's to start it.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:39 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Yep. Same one. Here's it on another site where it's quoted with
540CCA 540CCA

And it's home site quoting the same.

Here's a quick read (though take it at what it's worth) about lithium batteries in automotive use. It's not that they are not made for them, just new "ish" so there are no standard measures. I have no clue how long it took some group (the SAE in this case) to grade and give forms of measurements to the lead acid battery, but I doubt it was in the same year or even within 5 years of when electronic starters were becoming common in automotive use (though as always, I could be wrong).

I can say this: we used lithium batteries a few times for electric start on some snowmobiles in the deep field when I worked in Antarctica and they seemed to spin up fine at -40°. But I have no real clue what those batteries were rated for or at as we borrowed them from a project to be lazy.

But trust me, I'm with you. ~$250 is a pretty investment to not know it will work in the deep cold when you really want you car to start.

Last edited by zer099; 05-05-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Anti-gravity batteries makes them in a variety of form factors and ratings.

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2017, 05:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zer099
Yep. Same one. Here's it on another site where it's quoted with 540CCA.

And it's home site quoting the same.

I can say this: we used lithium batteries a few times for electric start on some snowmobiles in the deep field when I worked in Antarctica and they seemed to spin up fine at -40°. But I have no real clue what those batteries were rated for or at as we borrowed them from a project to be lazy.

But trust me, I'm with you. ~$250 is a pretty investment to not know it will work in the deep cold when you really want you car to start.
I appreciate your input. However, it does make me a bit leary when there are two totally different CCA ratings for the same battery and no mention of any fitment for cars of any kind.

Starting a snowmobile and cranking over the huge lump under our hoods could provide very different results. Not saying it couldn't work, but I would feel much more comfortable if the company actually designed batteries specifically for cars.

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
Anti-gravity batteries makes them in a variety of form factors and ratings.
It looks like these are for motorcycles too. These types of batteries might work for me in nice weather, but I would prefer something I could use all year.

Thanks for the ideas though guys. You have me thinking about Lithium options now.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:22 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Oh, if you are looking for a direct drop in off the shelf "guaranteed to fit" and a "for off-road use only" company warranty then you are looking for a $600+ battery when it comes to lithiums. Anti-grav has one. A few companies have "one". But because you are looking for a direct fit and specific thing you will most likely pay for it sadly at this time. Most times when guys are looking for a light battery they are not looking for OEM fitment, that's my misunderstanding. And for what it's worth, it does not take much to spin our engines.

More lithium OEM size battery options

If you still feel up in the air about lithiums, understandably, then your next best bet for weight saving is sealed AGM lightweight batteries. Braille makes good ones as does Varley, Odyssey, and a few other reputable companies. You wont be dipping into the single digits weight wise but can shave 15-20 pounds off easy. With your main concern being your winters these might be your best bet for crank-ability reliability and weight saving. Plus they have gone down a lot in price since lithium batteries came out. I know i paid like $600 for my race battery 10 years ago on my track car and now it's like ~$150.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am not too concerned about the fit or the warranty. (I assume I should be able to find a way to mount any battery.) I am not sure I can trust a battery designed for an ATV or motorcycle to crank over my engine when we have -50 degree wind chills in the winter and all the fluids in my car seem to turn to concrete.

I am concerned about the CCA, weight, and I would prefer not to pay a ton for it. The link you sent was kind of what I was finding in terms of expensive lithium options. I might eventually pull the trigger on something like that or wait for the prices to drop a bit.

You are right about the ratings too. So far I have seen CCA, CA, and now on your link- PHCA. Like you mentioned earlier, it would be nice to have a standardized rating so it is easier to compare.

I have looked at Braille and Odyssey before, but unless I am mistaken I thought they either did not have enough power or the ones that did weighed almost the same as the stock battery.

Thanks for all of your help. This is all good info.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Ca428
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are looking to lighten up the car, changing to a lighter battery will only shave weight. You'd have to lighten a lot of things to make any measurable difference in performance or fuel mileage, probably on the order of about 100 lbs. And that would be a slight difference. The G is just a heavy vehicle, that's all there is to it. Some of it is structure, some of it is equipment.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:24 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Ca428
If you are looking to lighten up the car, changing to a lighter battery will only shave weight. You'd have to lighten a lot of things to make any measurable difference in performance or fuel mileage, probably on the order of about 100 lbs. And that would be a slight difference. The G is just a heavy vehicle, that's all there is to it. Some of it is structure, some of it is equipment.
Read his threads. He had done a ton of weight reduction. Battery is just another piece.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ca428
Agreed. That is why I have a post dedicated to sedan weight reduction in the sedan forum. So far nothing terribly significant, but I figure I can shave some serious weight with the battery, front seats, and brake rotors.

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Read his threads. He had done a ton of weight reduction. Battery is just another piece.
Want to point me in the right direction. When I click his name for more posts it only finds the post he put in my thread.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:08 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Agreed. That is why I have a post dedicated to sedan weight reduction in the sedan forum. So far nothing terribly significant, but I figure I can shave some serious weight with the battery, front seats, and brake rotors.

Want to point me in the right direction. When I click his name for more posts it only finds the post he put in my thread.

I was reffering to you 4dr as having done alot of weight reduc.!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:37 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
I was reffering to you 4dr as having done alot of weight reduc.!
Hahaha! Wow, I must be tired. My bad. I didn't even realize he only had one post. I read your post and I was thinking, "Man, what other weight reduction could I do that I missed?" Oh, that's funny. Thanks for making my day.