Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Any Recommendations for Battery Charger/Maintainer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 02:36 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any Recommendations for Battery Charger/Maintainer?

I currently have always had this hooked up to the car. I bought it at Walmart over 5 Years ago

SEM-1562A:

Realized after reading reviews and reading online it seems what I have is only a maintainer and has never been able to charge my battery as it was made for smaller batteries, but when I look at 3 AMP chargers/maintainers some people say you dont need that.

Most Google searches and forum searches lead results to outdated reviews and there is much more newer stuff out in the market.

I just want to know is there newer ones out in 2014 or any current ones people recommend?

I saw a CTEK one which looked great and is used by Porsches and other high end cars but my car tends to sit around a lot so I want a charger that can charge the battery when Voltage goes too low, along with maintaining a charge and also I have read many dont have desulfator mode.

So should I just grab the battery tender jr or plus from walmart or should I goto Kragen, Oreilys, autozone and look around or should I look for the CTEK online?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:45 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Does your car sit for long periods without being started?

Look into a deep cycle battery

Optima, kinetic, Odyssey, etc
Old 06-04-2014, 01:47 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
Does your car sit for long periods without being started?

Look into a deep cycle battery

Optima, kinetic, Odyssey, etc
Ya I was thinking of getting a Optima yellow top but the battery I have in there now is only few months old FROM Infiniti with Higher CCA, I wanted a reason to upgrade to Optima but got my battery test d and it's working with no issues.

What exactly do Gel Battery's do? And what If it ends up dying like my normal one has, does the life go bad?

My car sometimes sits really long before I even go start her.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Eldan
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recommend the Battery Tender.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Ok I went ahead and bought the Battery Tender Plus, Can someone give me some information about buying a Optima Yellow Top, I am thinking of getting one, The guy at audio shop said I dont need one, but I am guessing it holds a charge better than a regular battery and lets me play music and use navigation and etc without having the Ignition turned over, but how safe is that?

I was thinking if I get a Optima Than I can throw the current one in the rear, or should I throw the Optima in the rear with the Audio System and have it Isolated with the Current Battery.

Doesnt make sense to waste the current one.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:07 AM
m0nkey

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
On the optima yellow top its a deep cycle / dry cell battery therefore, in case you completely kill the battery you can jump start it again and it will be ready to go.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:09 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by m0nkey
On the optima yellow top its a dry cell battery therefore, in case you completely kill the battery you can jump start it again and it will be ready to go.
Which I have done many times with my regular battery just takes forever to jump and turn back on, I am guessing optima doesnt lose its life after going dead and getting jumped several times.

I also have a Old Optima Yellow Top that was hooked up to the Audio system in the trunk but has under 2 Volts and was made in 2007, I dont think it can be revived