Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Strange electrical issues

Old 05-18-2019, 11:37 PM
Jon Yarber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange electrical issues

I'm new to this forum - sorry if I'm posting to wrong area. Moderators feel free to move or delete if need be.

I've owned my 2011 G37 Sedan for 4 years and have never had an issue so big or perplexing that I could not handle it myself. This one is rather unique, so I need some outside advice to see if anyone else has seen or ran into this before or can think of something I might need to consider:
Today we had a pretty major thunderstorm come through. During the storm, a clap of thunder set off my alarm (1). When I finally got the remote get it to stop I noticed my tail and headlights were flickering very quickly off and on (2). Not only that, but the car alarm was still activating randomly. There was quite a bit of water flowing under the car from the storm, but it didn't seem so deep that I was worried it was causing harm to the car. When the storm let up, I wasn't able to start my car until I put the fob in the "ignition" (4). My fob battery had been low, so I replaced the battery. Now the intelligent key sensor comes on (5). Sometimes I can get the car to start, sometimes I can't (6). I assume there's maybe something with the shift lock. However, there are two other issues: I can't get the doors to lock using either the remote OR the lock switch on the door (7) and my dome lights don't work (8).

It was late when all this took place, so I'm going to check some fuses tomorrow. Is there maybe anything on the underside of the car that the water could have affected to cause these issues? If not, what other things should I consider may have happened to cause these issues?
Old 05-19-2019, 01:21 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Sounds like your BCM got wet. If so, it'll return to normal when dry.
The following users liked this post:
Jon Yarber (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 01:40 AM
Bommerang
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah definitely sounds like a BCM issue, thats the module that controls all the parts of the car you are describing. As the post above may suggest I would make sure your floors aren't wet or damp from a leak/sunroof drain otherwise every time there is a storm this may happen.
There is a post floating around that describes where the BCM is on the passenger side with details.
The following users liked this post:
Jon Yarber (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Jon Yarber

Thanks, guys. I did a little more reading on the subject and can see how that's most likely the issue. I'm going to go inspect today, give it some time to dry, and update. Thanks, again, for the input.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Jon Yarber

Everything back to normal today. The floorboard on the passenger side was wet, so it was definitely the BCM and the aforementioned sunroof drain issue. It's the first time I've run into it. Is there a thread for a known fix?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:00 PM
HaveyDo

I’m having the same issue. Were you able to DIY?
Old 07-25-2019, 01:57 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Make sure you spray electricals with contact cleaner