Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Air Bag control module

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Air Bag control module

My module lost it's programming due to a low battery. I neglected to put the trickle charger on the car during the first month of winter storage. The car is stored outside and it get's cold up here in Montreal. I have a car cover and a winter car shelter. When I wasn't able to start the car I installed the intelligent car starter and after a couple of days the battery was back to normal. The battery was tested and it's OK now. However the air bag light started blinking after car the battery issue. The light continues to blink : it's an 2012 Infiniti G37xS Coupe, Never been in an accident. And the dealer doesn't reprogram this. They want to sell me a new one I guess. How much does this cost? BTW the dealer wasn't able to reset the code too. They wanted $200 to diagnose the issue. I went to my independent garage and they called in an expert who said it needs to be reprogrammed. I've never heard of this. Anyone else seen this? Anyone here have any solutions. It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 04-18-2019, 05:21 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
theres a airbag reset u can try. google it. it consists of puting the key in and in some sequence. id try that first
Old 04-18-2019, 08:52 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

I tried this and the dealer tried to reset the code with no luck. Thanks though,,,
Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

wat about the recall for the airbag wire harness? could be related or not
Old 04-20-2019, 01:35 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

True. Didn't tCheck . Do you have a link to this recall so that I can e-mail my dealer please?
Thanks!
Old 05-02-2019, 10:12 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

try inputting ur vin here

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

see if anything comes up
Old 02-12-2021, 07:54 PM
The North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xorbit

What ever became of this?

I have had the EXACT same problem. 2012 G37x. Battery went flat recently. (I had the radio on while working on the car.) Car would not start, barely turned over, but not enough to catch. Jumped the battery, car fired right up, but SRS dash light was flashing. I took it to the dealer to reset the code, however, the dealer told me that the SRS control module needs to be replaced. Price = $2,160.00 Canadian plus tax!!! Almost had a heart attack.

I took it to another mechanic I know for a second opinion and he confirmed that the module is cooked, however, unlike the dealer who wants to sell me a new part, the mechanic claims that there are services out there that can rebuild modules. (Part at the dealer is $1,500.00.)

I asked the mechanic about a part from a wrecking yard as it seemed like a logical alternative to a new expensive part. The mechanic told me that used won't work because the modules are programmed to match the car and once paired with the individual car, that's it. I trust the mechanic, he's not in the rip off business, however, I'm not sure if that makes sense. (He also warned me to change my battery as the existing battery is about 5 years old and not worth chancing, which I agree with.)

Old 02-13-2021, 06:43 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
There are services out there that will reset your airbag module for about $50. I replaced the air bag module in my 11 Lancer GTS after hitting a deer and blowing two bags. From doing research you can change the VIN of a air bag module if a shop has something like an Snap On/Autel scan tool. Oddly enough we did not have to change the VIN on my car. We had to do a calibration with weight in the passenger seat (even though the passenger bag didn't blow) and the SRS light was out as soon as that was completed.

One of the companies that will reset your module is called safety restore.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:06 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Why not read the air bag code and see what you are dealing with?

Here is a link to the AIR BAG (SRS) section:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...2012%2FSRC.pdf
• Page 17 (SRS-17) shows you how to read the trouble code without any tools
• Pages 18-20 defines what the different "flash codes" mean.

Also, the airbag doesn't loose its programming if the battery dies or is disconnected a long time.
The programming is stored on a non-volatile memory that generally last about 100 years.

You can also read and clear the air bag codes by using OBDFusion, a $10 wireless OBD scanner with the enhanced diagnostic add on.
As shown here:

Old 08-11-2021, 07:59 PM
elbi.hw
Registered Member

Did solve your flashing light issue?

Hi,
I have the exact same issue. Just curious, did you solve your issue?

thanks,

Originally Posted by The North
Xorbit

What ever became of this?

I have had the EXACT same problem. 2012 G37x. Battery went flat recently. (I had the radio on while working on the car.) Car would not start, barely turned over, but not enough to catch. Jumped the battery, car fired right up, but SRS dash light was flashing. I took it to the dealer to reset the code, however, the dealer told me that the SRS control module needs to be replaced. Price = $2,160.00 Canadian plus tax!!! Almost had a heart attack.

I took it to another mechanic I know for a second opinion and he confirmed that the module is cooked, however, unlike the dealer who wants to sell me a new part, the mechanic claims that there are services out there that can rebuild modules. (Part at the dealer is $1,500.00.)

I asked the mechanic about a part from a wrecking yard as it seemed like a logical alternative to a new expensive part. The mechanic told me that used won't work because the modules are programmed to match the car and once paired with the individual car, that's it. I trust the mechanic, he's not in the rip off business, however, I'm not sure if that makes sense. (He also warned me to change my battery as the existing battery is about 5 years old and not worth chancing, which I agree with.)
Old 08-11-2021, 08:00 PM
elbi.hw
Registered Member

Hi,
I have the exact same issue. Did you solve the problem?

thanks,
Old 08-11-2021, 08:13 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
I'd suggest the same recommendation Sonic gave. You'll need to take this matter into your own hands if you want to save the most $ as possible.
If the other mechanic determined that the Module is toast then it should register a "crash detected code" which in my opinion is the only time the module should be toast because it requires to be serviced to replace the broken components that break during a crash.
At the same time a toasted unit should give a solid SRS light and not a blinking one.

Obtaining the actual code and following the troubleshooting for that code is the way to go. If indeed your module is done there are services that can be googled that can repair yours. You can drive the car without a module while you wait.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:49 PM
elbi.hw
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
I'd suggest the same recommendation Sonic gave. You'll need to take this matter into your own hands if you want to save the most $ as possible.
If the other mechanic determined that the Module is toast then it should register a "crash detected code" which in my opinion is the only time the module should be toast because it requires to be serviced to replace the broken components that break during a crash.
At the same time a toasted unit should give a solid SRS light and not a blinking one.

Obtaining the actual code and following the troubleshooting for that code is the way to go. If indeed your module is done there are services that can be googled that can repair yours. You can drive the car without a module while you wait.
Thanks for the response. As Sonic recommended, I bought the scanner and OBD Fusion. I got no codes. please note that my car never had a crash. The light started flashing right after the battery died. I tired to reset many times but it never works.

any other suggestions would be appreciated?