Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Maybe Clock Spring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Bmxr215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe Clock Spring?

I’ve read all of the other clock spring threads and my issues are similar to other people’s but not exact, so I want to be sure before I buy a clock spring.

All of the control buttons on the steering wheel don’t work at any angle I turn the wheel, but my horn button still works. Most others have their horn go out too, so I’m at a loss here.

Also, my paddle shifters will occasionally not work and the + and - won’t work with the stick either. On the cluster, It will stay in MS mode without going back to D. This happens about once every 2 weeks and will last a day or two before working again. I don’t believe this issue would be related to the clock spring, but you guys know more than me. Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
sounds more like a break in the wiring or a fuse blown, somewhere between the steering wheel controls and the paddles..how old is your car?...sometimes its gets brittle and cracks over time..check the wiring for conductivity...
Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
first thing i would do is take the airbag out and unplug and replug the harness that connects to the clock spring and ground wire
Old 02-08-2018, 10:39 PM
Bmxr215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
sounds more like a break in the wiring or a fuse blown, somewhere between the steering wheel controls and the paddles..how old is your car?...sometimes its gets brittle and cracks over time..check the wiring for conductivity...
Do you guys have any pictures or wiring diagrams of the wiring and fuses I’d be looking for? I’ve looked for fuses and I can’t find anything that looks like it relates to the buttons or paddles. My car is on 09 with 91k miles.