Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Cigarette outlet doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 11:07 PM
R.I.P. Grandma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cigarette outlet doesn't work

Hi there,

I recently acquired an 08 G37S and have the dreaded issue of the cigarette outlet not working. I checked all the fuses on the driver side by the pedals and the fuses all seem to be fine. I also checked the fuses next to the battery and they are fine as well. I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what else I can check as I was hoping to avoid bringing the car into a dealer and have read through search that many people have reported bad fuses as the culprit, but that doesn't seem like the issue on this car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:18 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Meh, I'd disconnect the battery, or take the cig lighter out and plug it back in..
Old 05-25-2014, 10:09 AM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
fuses can be blown even if they do not appear to be. I would refer to the owner's manual to determine which fuse goes to the outlet and replace it. If that doesn't work, I've heard of replacing the outlet...which I'm sure is relatively cheap.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 PM
R.I.P. Grandma

Thanks for the feedback. I've replaced the outlet fuse as a precaution and it still doesn't work. I spoke to a dealer and they noted it was a known issue where they just replace the unit. I'd love to repair this myself if possible, but I also don't want to take the the pieces around the shifter out to see if it's a connection problem. All the other electronics work, so this is the only issue.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:27 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Okay, have you tried replacing the fuses? I know you said they weren't bad, but as dkmesa350z said, fuses can be blown and not have any signs. You can get a tester and see if it's completing the circuit. Or just change out the fuse. You should have some spares in the fuse box already.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:22 AM
R.I.P. Grandma

Originally Posted by monytx
Okay, have you tried replacing the fuses? I know you said they weren't bad, but as dkmesa350z said, fuses can be blown and not have any signs. You can get a tester and see if it's completing the circuit. Or just change out the fuse. You should have some spares in the fuse box already.
Yes. I replaced the fuse for the outlet, but it still doesn't work.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Azngonkick

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
your other option could be going to any electronic store (even walmart), and buying one of those that plug into any outlet (the one in your center console) and turning into a dual outlet or more.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 AM
R.I.P. Grandma

Originally Posted by Azngonkick
your other option could be going to any electronic store (even walmart), and buying one of those that plug into any outlet (the one in your center console) and turning into a dual outlet or more.
Agreed, but ideally I'd like to get this issue resolved. Will consider having the dealer troubleshoot after trying to check more fuses.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:02 AM
deadlocked

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably fuse is blown
Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlocked
Probably fuse is blown

He said he replaced it..

Op, whenever you replace the fuse and you got to plug anythign in, are you hearing any kind of pop sound, double check that the new fuse isnt blown as well, though Im sure you already have..
Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 PM
R.I.P. Grandma

Originally Posted by Paratrooper
He said he replaced it..

Op, whenever you replace the fuse and you got to plug anythign in, are you hearing any kind of pop sound, double check that the new fuse isnt blown as well, though Im sure you already have..
Appreciate the recommendation. I don't hear any pop and the replaced fuse seems to be in good order. I'd be more concerned if other electronics were impacted, but at this point it's just a bit frustrating that it's not a simple fuse replacement fix. I might try to disconnect the battery over the weekend, but frankly I'd be shocked if that resolves the issue. I'm wondering if aside from a simple fuse change if there is any other way I can attempt to troubleshoot the issue, maybe someone else had a similar experience?
Old 05-29-2014, 05:22 PM
infinitiman96
Registered Member

Is it possible the lighter isnt connected? I've seen people wire aftermarket electronics to cigarette lighters before. Since you're not the original owner of the car, check to make sure the wires are indeed connected behind the lighter itself.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:12 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Sounds like a break in one of the wires.

You need to trace the lines with a circuit tester...
Old 04-17-2015, 03:15 PM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same issue with neither cigarette lighter charging my iPhone, whether it's the one by the shifter or the one in the armest compartment (the iPhone charger's LED light doesn't even come on, and it works in other cars so it's not a bad/broken charger).

I just checked the manual on where the two fuse boxes are located: the one by the driver's footwell and the other under the hood. Neither diagram on either fuse box mention which one the cigarette lighter is. I haven't pulled any fuses yet 'cause I don't even know which one it is. I just came back from the Nissan parts department (they're close to my home, as opposed to the Infiniti dealer miles away) and the guy said there should be another diagram that's by the steering column that has relays and a much bigger, more descriptive diagram that should tell me which fuse the cigarette lighter is, but I don't see anything like that. Are both cigarette lighters controlled by the same fuse? If so, which one is it? If not, which two are they?

Didn't think this would be this difficult. Oh, and I'm aware that the lighters don't charge anything when the car is off.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So for whoever might read this, my cigarette lighter issue was under warranty so I took it into the dealership. They said it was a fuse issue, and replaced it under warranty; it works now.

Quick Reply: Cigarette outlet doesn't work