Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Wireless Audio Hack using Airplay for Non-Nav's

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:23 AM
defektion
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Wireless Audio Hack using Airplay for Non-Nav's

tl;dr - I managed to get wireless audio streaming working by using an old iPod Touch 2G.

If you're one of the unfortunate G37 owners that doesn't get AUX port and lose out on bluetooth streaming well you're somewhat in luck.

So basically I was looking to re-purpose my old iPod Touch 2G and came across a jailbreak application called Airfloat.

Airfloat is an application that turns your iPod touch into airplay receiver. So this trick I learned from having my iPhone 5 plugged in all the time is that I can use any music app (e.g. Soundcloud) to stream audio into my car as long as I selected a song and went into the app to play my track. Instead of my iPhone 5 plugged in, why not my iPod touch?

So after restoring, jailbreaking my iPod Touch 2g, installing openSSH so I can access the file system and installed Airfloat from a compiled working build from Github instead of installing it from Cydia, I had success when I was able to stream it locally from my iPhone to iPod Touch.

I then came across another problem. Airplay only works when you're iDevice is within the same network. Not a problem! I enabled personal hotspot on my iPhone 5 and had the iPod Touch connect to it. I loaded Airfloat and there it was. 'AirFloat' as a air play selection. I selected it and streamed music to my iPod Touch 2g without any problem.

So I took my iPod Touch to my car plugged it all in and loaded up any random song from the G37 unit and while music was playing, I loaded up Airfloat and selected it on my iPhone 5 and played a track. It faded out and the track started playing from my iPhone 5 to my iPod Touch then into my G37. Loaded up soundcloud, it played but it was somewhat laggy (could be reception issues, or the hotspot connection between my iPhone and iPod Touch)

So I don't expect anyone to be using this as a full time solution, I just thought I would share my findings