Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Using android on iPod connector

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:27 PM
oriahb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using android on iPod connector

Hey guys I'm new on this forum. Just picked up a fully loaded 08 g37s. Noticed on the inside of the glovebox there is an iPod connector. I have a galaxy s4 and would love to be able to charge the phone and play music from it with just the microUsb cable plugged in. Based on my research I see on the interwebs a 30 pin to microUsb adapter and I'm wondering if anyone has had success with this before.

Alternatively I would be interested in rewiring the 30 pin connector into a microUsb connector or am wondering if this has already been attempted or if it already exists....

Running an RCA to 3.5mm jack is an absolute last alternative because I would still need to charge the phone and this would result in two cables being plugged into the phone which is something I'm trying to avoid.

If there is another elegant solution that that I don't know about I'd love to hear about it.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 PM
MistaYoung

This may work...

Amazon.com: Juiced Systems Micro USB & 3.5mm Audio input for iPod docks: Electronics Amazon.com: Juiced Systems Micro USB & 3.5mm Audio input for iPod docks: Electronics
Old 01-26-2014, 10:37 AM
doobiedoo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any luck?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
mista young's advice is likely the best you can do. No real way to avoid two cables I think, the ipod connector has analogue out, but android's usb connection doesn't support anything like this. You will need to run a cable to your heaphone jack no matter what.

Have you thought about just buying a Bluetooth adapter? That's what I did, it turns on and off automatically with the car, and my phone automatically connects. Then you can just plug in one cable to your phone to charge (if need be) and have audio whenever you want it (just switch to aux instead of ipod). The one disadvantage of this is you don't get music controls from the steering wheel, other than that it's pretty perfect.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 PM
edann87

Originally Posted by Varjo
mista young's advice is likely the best you can do. No real way to avoid two cables I think, the ipod connector has analogue out, but android's usb connection doesn't support anything like this. You will need to run a cable to your heaphone jack no matter what.

Have you thought about just buying a Bluetooth adapter? That's what I did, it turns on and off automatically with the car, and my phone automatically connects. Then you can just plug in one cable to your phone to charge (if need be) and have audio whenever you want it (just switch to aux instead of ipod). The one disadvantage of this is you don't get music controls from the steering wheel, other than that it's pretty perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492TTP-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/B0047T79VS/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391108282&s r=1-13&keywords=wireless+blue+tooth+car+audio

Couldn't agree any more
Old 01-31-2014, 01:31 AM
MistaYoung

Originally Posted by Varjo

I have a Bluetooth adapter it works great, but I recently added a compact flash card- the sound is cleaner and louder! It's worth the extra work in my opinion... (You can buy the cards for $10-$20 and a cf reader/writer for about the same)

Last edited by MistaYoung; 02-02-2014 at 06:58 PM.