Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

HTC one vs samsung Galaxy S IV

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
HTC one vs samsung Galaxy S IV

Both of these phones, although not tested, should be compatible with the '11 -'12 nav systems. If anyone here has purchased either one, please chime in and let us know how well they work with your bluetooth connection. I will be getting a new phone in August, and am considering my options.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Not exactly what you are asking but my wife just got a Galaxy Note II and it works fine with the Bluetooth in her 09. If that's any help.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Come on guys, one of you has to have picked up an S-IV or HTC one by now....
Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 PM
zdubin

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Galaxy S3 works perfectly with Android Jellybean 4.1, and the S4 should have the same Android Jellybean 4.1. Never heard of any Android bluetooth/car issues, just crapple Iphone 5 issues.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:44 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, you should get the phone because you like the phone and not because it works better with your car. I can't imagine one working that much better than the other with the nav system.

That being said, these two phones are very different in build quality. The HTC One has a very refined, sturdy build (like an iPhone) so if you're into that, then I'd go that route. However, the S4 should be much lighter due to the plastics it uses and if you like a really light phone (like me), that might be a better option. The HTC One should also feel more normal in dimensions with its 4.7" screen while the S4 pushes the 5" envelope and might be harder to handle for those with smaller hands (although it's not much different from the S3's dimensions). I think the screen quality is a bit better on the HTC One (Super LCD3) than the S4 (Super AMOLED), so you might see things a bit sharper on the HTC One. If you're into swapping batteries all the time, then you better get the S4 since the HTC One has an internal battery like the iPhone that you can't switch out (unless you're comfortable doing some surgery on your phone).

Perssonally, I'm not a big fan of the HTC company itself and I've proudly owned the Galaxy S and the Galaxy S3 over the past few years. However, this iteration of Samsung's Galaxy doesn't impress me as much as previous years and the HTC One seems to arguably be their best offering yet. If I had to choose today, I think I'd go with the HTC One. But you still have three months to see how things could unfold (i.e. major flaws, user complaints, etc).
Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Yeah the lack of a serviceable battery and sd card slot has me leaning towards he Galaxy. It also seems to me that a lighter, plastic and therefore more flexible bodied phone would logically hold up better to being accidentally dropped. I really was only considering the HTC because it has a better camera. I just don't want to be the test rabbit who may or may not find out one of these doesn't like our infotainment system, if that were the case I'll just go with an S3 or Note2.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I can almost deal with lack of a removable battery -- my evo 4g lte is such. The battery is removable, but not very easily, and not really by the typical end user.

Lack of a micro sd is the deal breaker. I just don't trust the onboard flash. With a sd, I can always pull the card out, copy, backup, whatever.

In fact, I just ordered a 64gb sd for an upcoming trip so I can record some video.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM
imnotkevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have the HTC One (upgraded from iPhone 4S) and love it! Stereo speakers on front of phone are what every phone should have - no more cupping your hand to hear. Screen is fantastic and aluminum build quality reminds me of iPhone (finally an Android phone oozing quality & style)

The one con: ATT and Verizon will NOT let you get the 23GB free offer from Dropbox/HTC

As far as working with my 2010 G37xS w/Nav, no issues on the Bluetooth streaming....
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Yeah, those front facing speakers are what makes that phone so attractive. Nice to know everything is compatible. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
G2Envy

I've got the GS4 and it works fine with my car and I have an 08.

Battery life goes down pretty quick so I try to turn wifi and bluetooth off while at work. The screen contrast kills the battery the most. I'm sure it will work fine with your car if it works fine with mine?

I haven't tried importing my contacts yet though. I'm coming from an HTC Evo 4G and I couldn't transfer my contacts unless I did them one by one.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:35 AM
iGGy37S

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
This whole talk of removable batteries is ridiculous. Do you actually pack extra batteries when you go out? There is a charging port practically everywhere. The days of extra batteries and removable memory is done. On board easily outmatched any sdcard. I work in the wireless industry and always see removable cards fail, info is split at random, some on card and some on phone. Average user will not have a use for a removable battery or sd card.

Samsung 4 is a cheap plastic phone, just like the previous. I used them both. HTC one is the android phone to get. I personally prefer an iPhone 5 for a smaller size and a more stable/polished OS.

Samsung 4 is bloated with features you won't use after a few days, and it makes the phone slow down to the point where it's noticeable even on its superior CPU. It's gimmicks. Now the design is better and battery life. People will still buy it just because of the name, same with iPhone.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Yes I do have a backup battery for my current phone and yes I have had to use it. I have never had an SD card fail. My current sd card has android apps installed on it that can be installed on my next android phone and that I want to continue to use. On-board memory is fine but I want more than the phone comes with.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 AM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Here are some points to consider about removable memory and batteries:

I have a Razr Maxx and for the most part get better than 2 days continuous use. However, I have had it for about a year and a half now and the battery is starting to show its wear... even after "retraining". My upgrade eligibility with Verizon - in the event they do continue it - doesn't roll over until October. I can either wait until then and spend more money on a new phone, which I am certain Verizon would like, or I can put up with the gradually degrading battery or try to open the case and do surgery. It is much nicer to have a phone that you can pop the back off of and easily replace the battery in cases like this.

I have a lot of music, videos, and pictures on my 32gb SD card. It takes a very long time to transfer that to my computer, so I bought an additional 32gb card as a backup which I can swap out quite easily if needed. It also allows me to change which music I listen to as I have about 80 gigs of music at home.

David
Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 AM
yanick

swtiched iphone 5 (ugh) to htc one and it is best phone/bluetooth combo I've had to date...g37 xs coupe 2011