Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

09 Sedan Sound System Progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 AM
gizmo134

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 Sedan Sound System Progress

So even though I have been lurking around myg37 for some time now, I haven't really posted much. (I did quite a bit on g35driver, when I had my 35). I have mods in many different areas, but I figured I would start with this one (since its darn near the highest on my list).

After a full aftermarket system in my 35, the stock system in the 37 was disappointing in many regards. First and foremost, it was lacking in the bass department. On a bet, I was able to get my old 4080 box with 10 IDMAX sub and arc audio amp hooked up and working in under 30 minutes. (Worked, but not recommended...)

I heard ID was going under, so I ordered 2 new subs, both IDMAX 10's with dual 2ohm voice coils. At the same time, I ordered an arc audio 900.6 for all my mid/high needs, a stinger battery (ridiculously high peak current output), and an Audison Bit one. I was waiting for the arc 1200.1 to come out, but got tired of waiting and just got dual 1000.1’s.

I picked a weekend, and pulled the stock amp out. Then pulled it apart, and unsoldered the connection jacks. I resoldered them to a breadboard, built a breakout for power and speaker connections, and put 4 RCA's on it for the audio outs of the headunit. I mounted the 900.6 and bit one up above the rear headliner, so that they were out of the way, and retained the stock look. I ran 1/0 cable from the battery to a distro in the back, then 4 gauge from the distro to the amp. Ran a bunch of RCA's, and Voila- sound!

I'm sure many of you are questioning my lack of speakers to this point. I decided to attack this in stages, and figured that the stock ones would work for the time being. Surprisingly, they actually work quite well. I don’t have too much power going to them, but they get quite a bit louder than stock and so far (better than 6 months into it) they are holding up well.

For the subs, I built my own boxes. The dual 10’s are facing forward into the back seats area, so that nothing can get near or hit them. I’m still running on a small amp for extended break in/my alternator not being able to handle the heavy load. Ill post pictures of all this stuff soon, just don’t have them on my computer as of yet.

I figure as I think of anything else, I can edit this. Thanks for reading, feel free to respond or message me if you have any questions/comments!
Chris