Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2010+ Navigation Updates Released!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Looks like this thread has turned into a whining thread. For those who do want a map update, the 2013 version will be shipping on April 1st. The navigation website just updated and is ready for order.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme
Looks like this thread has turned into a whining thread. For those who do want a map update, the 2013 version will be shipping on April 1st. The navigation website just updated and is ready for order.
Agreed and thanks for the April 1st info. I'm likely going to buy this one since I still have the original that came with my 2011 model.

One thing that would be a nice feature is if they would let us preview the updated maps (online). Garmin used to do this. It was nice to be able to see if POI's and new streets were added to the updated map package. It gave the buyer/user confidence in knowing he was getting a little something for his money.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM
RUsum1
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOOOO! That's good news.

I just sent an email to the dealer. Hopefully I'll hear back regarding my free update that I was promised but never given.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Ender17

Anyone have the firmware update? I don't care about the maps.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM
JDStud6

Originally Posted by Ender17
Anyone have the firmware update? I don't care about the maps.
I'm with this guy.

I bought a 2010 G37 Sedan last year and pretty sure it has never been updated. I use my phone for GPS way more than my car. Google maps is updated all the time and FREE and has no limitations about driving while using it. In the future I'm sure there will be a way to hook up the phone to the car and use the phone's GPS features.

Like stated above, I have a real hard time dropping $250 for a map update every year. You can pick up a good tomtom with free updates for life for $99.

I wouldn't mind a software update though. Does it update the whole system or just GPS features? I hate when I say "Call dad" my car shows me 2 listings for 'Dad'. One is his office and the other his cell phone, but the car doesn't distinguish which is which. Why not have a 'O' and a 'M' (mobile) designation there??? ....sigh

JD
Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JDStud6
I'm with this guy.

I bought a 2010 G37 Sedan last year and pretty sure it has never been updated. I use my phone for GPS way more than my car. Google maps is updated all the time and FREE and has no limitations about driving while using it. In the future I'm sure there will be a way to hook up the phone to the car and use the phone's GPS features.

Like stated above, I have a real hard time dropping $250 for a map update every year. You can pick up a good tomtom with free updates for life for $99.

I wouldn't mind a software update though. Does it update the whole system or just GPS features? I hate when I say "Call dad" my car shows me 2 listings for 'Dad'. One is his office and the other his cell phone, but the car doesn't distinguish which is which. Why not have a 'O' and a 'M' (mobile) designation there??? ....sigh

JD
Why don't you make 2 entries: Dad office & Dad home? I do this all the time.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:44 AM
JDStud6

Of course that would resole the issue, but creates another one. If I currently have 200 people in my phone, separating them into M, H, W could produce 600 entries and that's ridiculous.

The flaw here is in the car software, not the phone. Every phone I've had for the past 10 years has had a space for multiple numbers under one name. It's a great feature introduced a long time ago.

JD
Old 03-30-2013, 12:30 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Of course that would resole the issue, but creates another one. If I currently have 200 people in my phone, separating them into M, H, W could produce 600 entries and that's ridiculous.

The flaw here is in the car software, not the phone. Every phone I've had for the past 10 years has had a space for multiple numbers under one name. It's a great feature introduced a long time ago.

JD
My only experience is with a 2012 model. You must have older. My car has 2 phonebooks; vehicle & handset. They are independent of each other. This may be only available with the Nav option something you may not have.
So the software is not flawed, you just bought the "free" edition?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 PM
mseibel
Registered Member

I own a 2010 G37S Coupe, I bought it new, and paid for the upgrade DVDs in 2011. I also rely on my smartphone for contact info, and have a love/hate relationship with G's phone system.

The suggestion that one could create separate HOME and WORK contacts or setup the Car Phonebook with special entries is valid but completely misses a point. With hundreds of contacts, used in the car, phones, laptop, desktop(s), many with multiple phone numbers, these days the best way to handle this is with sync'd cloud contacts like Google Contacts. I do not want to maintain 6 different sets of contacts in my world -- just one.

From playing with this for several years, I notice that the [mis]behavior in the car changes depending on how the phone was initially "paired" -- On one phone I had (Samsung Galaxy S, running Gingerbread), it was important to answer a popup question on the phone in the top notification bar regarding "allow car to access contacts?" or similar. It is easy to miss this question, and if you do not answer it the phone will still work with the car, but the car interface will be frustratingly stupid, with multiple choice questions for "Dad" with no indication of the phone numbers, work, or home. If you answer the popup the first time, this behavior in the car is different, and I believe it does show [HOME] and [WORK] on the car interface. Once you pair the phone, either behavior is permanent until you un-pair it.

So you might try completely de-pairing the phone from the car, re-pairing it, and looking very closely for a dialog pop-up on the phone...

That said, the car interface still could be better. The display is huge, why not also show me the actual phone number(s) in addition to contact name and [HOME]/[WORK]? And when it comes to "Say Dial" ... dial what? I have no short-term memory about what I picked 10 seconds ago , why not show the name and number at that point too. Oh, and the car has an opinion on First/Last or Last/First that is not negotiable.... very odd. That seems to change behavior too depending on whether the pop-up question was answered.... go figure

But.... my wife just bought a new 2013 Audi TT, and the 2010 G37s phone interface is much better than the Audi's.

Last edited by mseibel; 03-30-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mseibel
I own a 2010 G37S Coupe, I bought it new, and paid for the upgrade DVDs in 2011. I also rely on my smartphone for contact info, and have a love/hate relationship with G's phone system.

The suggestion that one could create separate HOME and WORK contacts or setup the Car Phonebook with special entries is valid but completely misses a point. With hundreds of contacts, used in the car, phones, laptop, desktop(s), many with multiple phone numbers, these days the best way to handle this is with sync'd cloud contacts like Google Contacts. I do not want to maintain 6 different sets of contacts in my world -- just one.

From playing with this for several years, I notice that the [mis]behavior in the car changes depending on how the phone was initially "paired" -- On one phone I had (Samsung Galaxy S, running Gingerbread), it was important to answer a popup question on the phone in the top notification bar regarding "allow car to access contacts?" or similar. It is easy to miss this question, and if you do not answer it the phone will still work with the car, but the car interface will be frustratingly stupid, with multiple choice questions for "Dad" with no indication of the phone numbers, work, or home. If you answer the popup the first time, this behavior in the car is different, and I believe it does show [HOME] and [WORK] on the car interface. Once you pair the phone, either behavior is permanent until you un-pair it.

So you might try completely de-pairing the phone from the car, re-pairing it, and looking very closely for a dialog pop-up on the phone...

That said, the car interface still could be better. The display is huge, why not also show me the actual phone number(s) in addition to contact name and [HOME]/[WORK]? And when it comes to "Say Dial" ... dial what? I have no short-term memory about what I picked 10 seconds ago , why not show the name and number at that point too. Oh, and the car has an opinion on First/Last or Last/First that is not negotiable.... very odd. That seems to change behavior too depending on whether the pop-up question was answered.... go figure

But.... my wife just bought a new 2013 Audi TT, and the 2010 G37s phone interface is much better than the Audi's.
Yep. Just use the phone contacts and forget the car contacts. No need to sync at all. And it solves the home/work/cell thing. I think the car contacts is only there for phones with old BT stacks that can't share contacts. So basically, just pretend it doesn't exist.

What I found annoying is that you basically have to set up audio streaming separately. I am a crack-flasher so I am constantly having to dig into the audio menu to re-set the audio device to the new software instance on my phone. I bought a tiny USB drive that can hold a ton of music anyway. Not much of a streamer so it does the trick. So the next question is...do any updates add a flac codec?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 AM
JDStud6

Originally Posted by GeezerB
My only experience is with a 2012 model. You must have older. My car has 2 phonebooks; vehicle & handset. They are independent of each other. This may be only available with the Nav option something you may not have.
So the software is not flawed, you just bought the "free" edition?
My car has 2 phonebooks as well and I do have navigation. Not sure what your 'free edition' comment is supposed to mean.

I will try to unpair and then pair again with my car. I thought I answered this before but who knows. I recently upgraded to Jelly Bean. Hopefully the unpair and pair will start showing WORK / HOME / MOBILE.

Thanks,

JD
Old 04-01-2013, 12:52 PM
JDStud6

I deleted my phone and paired it again and now I do get an OFFICE / HOME / MOBILE next to the name....THANK YOU. Not sure why it wasn't there before, and it didn't ask me to share anything this time either.

One thing that changed also is when I want to call someone I was having to say "Call Smith Ann" instead of "Call Ann Smith" like I did before I deleted and repaired. Yes, I do have an Ann Smith in my book

JD
Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
unknown2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just checked the NAVTEQ website and it's on sale for $179. Did anyone upgrade to 2013 firmware/updates yet? And if so, how's it? any difference between 2012?
Lastly, does anyone have promotional code? hehe
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM
steeevin

Originally Posted by unknown2k1
I just checked the NAVTEQ website and it's on sale for $179. Did anyone upgrade to 2013 firmware/updates yet? And if so, how's it? any difference between 2012?

Does the Infiniti Navigation System X9 DVD Year 2013 come with both maps and the firmware update for $179, or is the firmware something separate?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by unknown2k1
There is more discussion on the latest update here:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...s-on-sale.html

Originally Posted by steeevin
Does the Infiniti Navigation System X9 DVD Year 2013 come with both maps and the firmware update for $179, or is the firmware something separate?
You get the whole package.

Quick Reply: 2010+ Navigation Updates Released!