Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2012 G37 Journey Where is AUX in port?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 AM
CHIPP7
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 G37 Journey Where is AUX in port?

I just purchased a 2012 Infinity G37 journey with premium navigation.
I was stunned to learn that the car does not have an auxillary in jack,
it only has a USB port. I have a sony MP3 player that I would like to use.
Can I convert my USB port to an auxillary in port that would take a "male"
connection?? Or, is there an auxillary in port that I am missing somewhere?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:27 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats on the new car, welcome to the forum. Not to pick on ya, but note that it's Infiniti - no y in there.

You can likely find a converter that will work. I just Googled "usb to 3.5 mm jack converter" and there were a lot of hits.

I don't think the car has a 3.5MM input jack.

Honestly, you may be better off getting an iPod / Nano. You may not want to spend the money or may not like Apple stuff but it integrates with the whole system well. I got one, put my favorite 850+ songs on it and don't regret it. Just make sure you get one of the proper "generation" to be sure it'll work properly with the car. It's all spelled out in your owner's manual.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 AM
CHIPP7
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Also, thanks for the crash course on the spelling. Will not make that mistake again. I was really surprised to see that it did not include a 3.5MM input jack, I thought this was standard on all new cars these days. Oh well, I'm not a big Apple fan, but I may have to take your advice and get an ipod.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CHIPP7
Thanks for the info. Also, thanks for the crash course on the spelling. Will not make that mistake again. I was really surprised to see that it did not include a 3.5MM input jack, I thought this was standard on all new cars these days. Oh well, I'm not a big Apple fan, but I may have to take your advice and get an ipod.
Save your money and just get a USB flash drive. You can get a 16 gig (a 16 gig Ipod will cost you alot more) for less than $20 then transfer all your MP3 files on there and insert the drive into the USB port and use the screen as your menu. This is what I did. Actually ends up being alot more convenient because it's more compact and you can just leave it in the car or carry it on your keychain.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
Save your money and just get a USB flash drive. You can get a 16 gig (a 16 gig Ipod will cost you alot more) for less than $20 then transfer all your MP3 files on there and insert the drive into the USB port and use the screen as your menu. This is what I did. Actually ends up being alot more convenient because it's more compact and you can just leave it in the car or carry it on your keychain.
Can the USB drive get the similar on-screen controls you can get with the iPod interface? If so, I agree that would be the way to go. I don't have one on my 2009, just the proprietary cable that connects to an Apple device.

All I do with my iPod anyway is randomize it, so if you can randomize the flash drive, yes that's the way to go for sure.

I just saw a 16 GB USB drive on sale locally for $15.99. So cheap these days.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Can the USB drive get the similar on-screen controls you can get with the iPod interface? If so, I agree that would be the way to go. I don't have one on my 2009, just the proprietary cable that connects to an Apple device.

All I do with my iPod anyway is randomize it, so if you can randomize the flash drive, yes that's the way to go for sure.

similar. it's not exactly like the ipod with playlists, but it's like windows explorer. you can see the folders. when you select the folder, it plays the files in it.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC

Unfortunately it won't randomize, (since there is no screen on the flash drive to use to enable the randomize option). You can only navigate it thru the nav screen and it will just play the music the way you set it up in your folders (from your computer's Windows Media Player) but if you are in the middle of a song and turn off the car it will remember where it was at when you turn the car back on. Then again you would have to buy an IPOD touch (unless you have an Iphone which will do the trick) to use the IPOD screen to navigate and those things are $199 just for 8 gigs. You would have to use the nav screen to navigate an IPOD nano and you can't randomize that from the nav screen either. And an IPOD nano is about $150 to $200 for a 16 gig. Yes, Apple products are way overpriced.

The only thing you can't do with the MP3 flash drive that you can do with the IPOD is that while a song is playing you can't navigate ahead to see other songs because as soon as you highlight another song it will start playing it. With an IPOD touch or nano you can highlight another song while the current song is still playing so the Flash drive is limited in that respect.

Word of advice if you use music from your CD's that you ripped onto your computer. Rip them again and use the highest MP3 rip settings (which is about 334 kb\s) They are located in the Windows media menu, the default setting is set for about 130 kb\s. It takes up alot more room but you can still fit about 1500 songs onto a 16 gig flash drive and the difference in sound is like night and day. Your stock system, using these higher bit rates, will sound better than Infiniti's Bose system using default bit rates (ie way too low) because sound quality is all about the quality of the source material (the stock system is more than capable if the source material is top notch which it isn't for most people and that includes retail CD's which are just compressed files at a pretty low bit rate because of CD storage issues) as the music is clear as a bell, the bass deep (and loud) and not a hint of distortion at the highest volume level. The music doesn't just play it feels like it washes over you because the bit rate is 3x higher than what most people DL at and well worth it if your main source of music comes from the ripping of your CD's because what you are basically doing is upgrading the bit rate of your CD's. Musically speaking it's like going from standard def to Hi Def.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 02-12-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
Unfortunately it won't randomize
Yes, you can randomize on the flash drive. My 2011 plays songs from the flash drive in random order. Just press the random/repeat button to select it. You can shuffle one folder (artist), or shuffle the whole contents of the flash drive. I have a 32GB one that cost less than $20, works great, thousands of songs on it all separated into artists folders for (relatively) easy navigation on-screen.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 PM
CHIPP7
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CHIPP7
I just purchased a 2012 Infinity G37 journey with premium navigation.
I was stunned to learn that the car does not have an auxillary in jack,
it only has a USB port. I have a sony MP3 player that I would like to use.
Can I convert my USB port to an auxillary in port that would take a "male"
connection?? Or, is there an auxillary in port that I am missing somewhere?
I have a small sony MP3 player that I upload podcasts on a daily basis. When I listen, I fast forward, rewind, manipulate the equalizer and other things. This all fits in the size of my hand and I can do it all without looking. This decreases the distraction while driving.The problem with using a USB flash drive is that I cannot do all these things with the system in the car. Also their forward and back scanning is very very slow. I really don't want to have to purchase an Ipod when I already have a device to do the job I want. I hope the aforementioned USB adapter will work. I'm dumbfounded as to why Infiniti did not include a standard AUX In port. It's like buying a brand new laptop computer but it only plugs in and has no battery to run from.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM
closg37

Try this!

I bought it for my G37

OutletPC.com - Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB to 3.5mm Audio Adapter / External Sound Card
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM
closg37

USB adaptor

Check this out! to play your music or stream off your phone.

OutletPC.com - Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB to 3.5mm Audio Adapter / External Sound Card
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does this ACTUALLY work??? I have my doubts, from the description it does not sound like what is needed.

Originally Posted by closg37
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
lmaokakes

Don't buy a new iPod Nano. Get one of the older models - you can get an 8GB 3rd Gen nano for like $60-70, and a 4gb 2nd gen for like $35. Even cheaper if you pick one up with a couple minor defects in the screen or something since you'll just be using the car screen.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 AM
estookay

why kind of mp3 player do you have, why can't you plug your mp3 player into the usb? (the same way you would when you plug it into a computer)
Old 06-23-2013, 12:46 PM
net2chris

OutletPC.com - Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB to 3.5mm Audio Adapter / External Sound Card ...

This doesn't work. Please don't make the mistake I did buying this garbage. It's atrocious that Infiniti doesn't have an Aux in and why I may not get another Infiniti when the lease expires.

Quick Reply: 2012 G37 Journey Where is AUX in port?