Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2012 G37 Journey Where is AUX in port?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:46 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by net2chris
OutletPC.com - Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB to 3.5mm Audio Adapter / External Sound Card ...

This doesn't work. Please don't make the mistake I did buying this garbage. It's atrocious that Infiniti doesn't have an Aux in and why I may not get another Infiniti when the lease expires.
is it really that big of a deal breaker?
I just load my music onto a USB stick and go. Takes like 10 min every month or so when I get a lot of new music.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
is it really that big of a deal breaker?
I just load my music onto a USB stick and go. Takes like 10 min every month or so when I get a lot of new music.
I have the 2011 with Nav. Lately I've been ripping DVDs with music, loading MP3s on a 4gb USB stick, using the 16 gig mini-SD card on my Blackberry to store a bunch of songs and stream them via Bluetooth, as well as loading tons of songs on my 64 gb IPAD and streaming them via Bluetooth.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:38 AM
SAL9000

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by net2chris
OutletPC.com - Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB to 3.5mm Audio Adapter / External Sound Card ...

This doesn't work. Please don't make the mistake I did buying this garbage. It's atrocious that Infiniti doesn't have an Aux in and why I may not get another Infiniti when the lease expires.
Nah, Inifiniti did right by axing the aux input. Analog I/O is old school plus crappy signal quality. iDevices, BT and USB sticks are just too easy to be had.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I installed a switcher between the XM box and the amplifier. When i flip the switch it disconnects XM output and it takes my feed from a 3.5mm plug. Was a huge pain in *** to set up but at least it lets me play streaming radio from my android. I do not have NAV so bluetooth was not an option for me. BT is not good signal quality for music, in my experience, whereas direct analog hookup is nice and clear.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:06 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SAL9000
Nah, Inifiniti did right by axing the aux input. Analog I/O is old school plus crappy signal quality. iDevices, BT and USB sticks are just too easy to be had.
yep...get one of the super small usb drives. I have one that is so low profile I almost need to use pliers to get it out. I don't listen to it that much anyway...my commute is like 10 minutes.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:13 AM
Bozly9
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I installed a switcher between the XM box and the amplifier. When i flip the switch it disconnects XM output and it takes my feed from a 3.5mm plug. Was a huge pain in *** to set up but at least it lets me play streaming radio from my android. I do not have NAV so bluetooth was not an option for me. BT is not good signal quality for music, in my experience, whereas direct analog hookup is nice and clear.

What switcher did you use and can you post a link??

Been trying to find an elegant and simple solution to solving this issue.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:07 AM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bozly9
What switcher did you use and can you post a link??

Been trying to find an elegant and simple solution to solving this issue.

Thanks!

Home-built. 4-pole-double-throw relay. When the coil is not powered, the normally-closed contacts pass the XM audio. When the coil is powered, my 1/8" jack is connected.

However it gets a little more complicated. The output from the XM box is higher than the typical output of the 1/8" phone jack. (Even so the XM listening level has always been very low in my car compared to other sources.) So the result was that I had to to raise the volume on the head unit pretty high to listen to the phone output at decent levels. To fix this, I added another tiny amplifier between my jack and the switcher to boost the level. I don't have any schematic for all this, but it's self-explanatory if you are at all familiar with car audio stuff. The wire colors you have to cut from the XM box to add the switcher are in some documents posted in other threads on this site. From the trunk I obviously have running a pair of wires which goes to the switch (to connect the ground to my relay - leave the 12v side in the back), and a cord that ends in a 1/8" plug. Now I can listen to anything the phone plays, and it sounds excellent, and it at the same volume as the other sources. If you have a good equalizer app in the phone you can even tweek the sound a bit.

I was pretty annoyed at the time, at the amount of work I had to do to add the basic Aux-in capability that is found in every hyundai since around 2008.

I also added a parametric EQ between the 'main box' and the amplifiers, to dial in everything. The stock bose system sounds a lot better with just a little adjusting of the curve.
The following users liked this post:
Ringo2244 (09-29-2023)
Old 07-12-2015, 05:05 PM
kyferez

Originally Posted by SAL9000
COMPLETELY disagree with you there. I do not have the desire or time to download and organize music onto an ipod/usb drive. I stick to streaming media exclusively these days and NONE of my devices will pair to play media on this fracking car. Yes I deleted all parided devices. Twice. I have a Samsung Note 4 and a Samsung S4. So I'm SOL to stream music on my newly purchased m37x car with all options. I love the car but honestly had I known of the lack of what should be STANDARD in a car like this I would NOT have purchased it. I spend way too much time in a car not to be able to enjoy my streaming music. Very Pissed owner.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:22 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
I would just buy a Iphone and plug it in!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:43 PM
kyferez

Originally Posted by Kb Cool
I would just buy a Iphone and plug it in!
No. I am not downgrading from a Note 4 to an iPhone. I had an Apple device provided from a prior job and despised it.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by kyferez
No. I am not downgrading from a Note 4 to an iPhone. I had an Apple device provided from a prior job and despised it.
Then, I don't know what to say other than to buy that grom audio thing. But, i doubt it'll sound as good as my Iphone streaming Spotify through USB!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:33 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kyferez
I understand the pain. Just buy a used, old ipod off eBay and load your music into it. You may need a power adapter/charger as well. You'll get full integration into the Infiniti system and that is nice. I realize you'll have another device to manage, but the integration is nice. I'm an android person myself.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:08 AM
scottns
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I understand the pain. Just buy a used, old ipod off eBay and load your music into it. You may need a power adapter/charger as well. You'll get full integration into the Infiniti system and that is nice. I realize you'll have another device to manage, but the integration is nice. I'm an android person myself.
I did the same thing for my '13. I got a Nano off ebay. First Apple device I've ever bought but the integration is way better than just a USB key. The key would not see my directory structure and just gave me a giant list of albums. I don't have nav so maybe that's why. The ipod charges off the USB so I just leave it on the console and forget about it.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:23 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scottns
I did the same thing for my '13. I got a Nano off ebay. First Apple device I've ever bought but the integration is way better than just a USB key. The key would not see my directory structure and just gave me a giant list of albums. I don't have nav so maybe that's why. The ipod charges off the USB so I just leave it on the console and forget about it.
Same here. I enjoy the nice on-screen interface with the iPod devices, I can see the song titles on the screen, album names, sort by artist, album, song, or as I always leave it, randomized and repeat. That way I have 450 of my favorite songs on random repeat and never seem to run out of music. I just leave the iPod in the console, it never comes out.

EDIT: I mentioned possibly needing a charger. My iPod is newer, car is older, so my car won't directly charge my iPod. To fix that, I bought the "Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod" off Amazon for $25. It allows my iPod to remain charged.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:09 PM
kyferez

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
You must have missed where I said that I don't have time or desire to download and organize music. All I do is stream music so an ipod is not going to help me.

Quick Reply: 2012 G37 Journey Where is AUX in port?