Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Navigation going haywire!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Navigation going haywire!

So lately I've been experiencing this weird problems where my navigation loses its orientation. I'll be driving on the road with a route set and next thing you know, my map starts to slowly rotate clockwise, which makes my arrow point left of the direction I'm actually traveling. Yet, the arrow continues to follow the path of the road I'm on. Sometimes it will then actually change my route to a different one that makes no sense at all. For example, I was in Garden Grove traveling down Chapman and then my route shifted to a road that my arrow was nowhere near.

The problem will correct itself if I hit a waypoint on my route. But after that, it will start getting disoriented again. I have never seen anyone report this kind of problem on the forums (just did a search, found nothing). I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, so I hope this gets fixed. Just want to know if anyone else has had their navigation go haywire like mine.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 PM
parksrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it under warranty? let them deal with it
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Weiboy718

do have navhack or video bypass?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:06 AM
JackM829

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you near mountains, or tall buildings? does this happen when you're under a tunnell?

Lots of things can interfere with receiving correct GPS.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:20 AM
DGGal
Minnesota G owners

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i had that similar situation happen in our sedan. bring it in, possibly record what's going on with your phone, in case it doesn't happen when they test drive. it took us two tries, but we eventually got a new navi installed because of that. it could be the satellite, or it could be the controls within your navi system. good luck!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 AM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
im sure dealer will be able to diagnose and fix
Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 PM
chasemyaccord

I dropped it off this morning. Just got a call from my service rep that they're ordering a new unit to replace my navigation. I guess there was some sort of hardware failure that was causing my navigation to go bonkers.

Weiboy: My navigation is completely stock. No nav pass (although I thought about it before...glad I didn't hehe).

Jack: The first time was driving on a road in Pasadena. There were trees above me, but nowhere near enough to impede my connection to a satellite. The second time was on the drive to LA on an open freeway. I did pass under a few bridges, but the symptoms appeared while I was on open road. The third time was this past Sunday on the 57 freeway just before getting on the off-ramp. I never drove under any kind of structure or other object that would've blocked my GPS. Continued to happen while I was driving down Chapman (a very straight road).

DGGal: Unfortunately, I just rooted my phone last week and was having issues whenever I tried to take two videos of the problem, so I had no footage as proof (something I normally do). I did manage to take a blurry picture that was just clear enough to show the arrow pointing in the wrong direction. I don't know how much attention the service manager paid to that picture, but better than nothing.

LOL, I wonder what's the chance of me getting one of those newer units with the higher resolution I'm guessing close to zero.

Last edited by chasemyaccord; 10-26-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Do you have the extended warranty? I imagine a new unit + install must be a few thousand.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Do you have the extended warranty? I imagine a new unit + install must be a few thousand.
I'm actually still under warranty for another 3 weeks

I debated getting the extended warranty, but I don't think it's worth the investment. Haven't had anything major happen so far. I think the next thing that might go is the battery, but I'm well within the battery warranty period (got it replaced 8 months ago when it died on me for the 2nd time).