Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Weird electrical problem with coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Possibly. Since you do have an aftermarket stereo that pulls a ton more power than the system is designed for, it's very likely that they may not. If they don't that's reasonable. Replacing it with another one exactly like it might give you the same results you're getting now though sooner or later. I'm not sure but I'd guess our alternator is rated at 125-135 amps. Get it built.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Romeo0119

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm this isn't good, i don't even listen to my music that loud, I don't ever play sh!thop or rap whatever that nonsense, how dommost ppl here get away with it having a stock alternator in their car?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Romeo0119
Hmmm this isn't good, i don't even listen to my music that loud, I don't ever play sh!thop or rap whatever that nonsense, how dommost ppl here get away with it having a stock alternator in their car?
Variances in build quality on the alternator, wiring, all sorts of variables at play. Efficiency of subs, amp equipment, etc also a factor.

And, its also inevitable that they will blow an alternator someday as well. My first system was in a beretta GT, alternator lasted long enough for me to forget thinking about it.....then it died while I was 500 miles from home.

Second system was in a Honda Accord, luckily I was able to get a sweet deal on a heavy duty built alternator from someone parting out. Since it *looked* like a factory unit I brought it to an alternator place to have it tested. Their bench test maxed out at 160 amps, and my new alternator stalled the machine so it was at least 160 amps (and it was rated for 180 constant so that makes sense). Not a cheap option but if you plan on keeping the system and the car for a while.....
Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Wierd i have been having a problem with nx window.switch.
When id was gettimg my nx system retuned, them system would engage & then just cut in & out with no logical explanation. Then we bypassed window rpms switch & it worked fine.
After further checking, we realize them stock coils are affected by various loads placed on them system.
Im going with a tach adapter to give it uninterupted voltage.
Was told late model electrical systems are under a huge load just from factory options.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 AM
Soliditude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by egmmbah
Im a certified MECP installer and ran one of the busiest Best Buy install bays in the nation. . . Sounds like your alternator is going bad. . . Once your car is running your battery is no longer being used you can start your car, take your battery out put it on the side walk and drive until you run out of gas or need to turn the car off, battery is only used to run electronics while in on/acc position and to start the car! The other large gauge (thick) cable on your battery positive side is going to your starter and another to your alternator so once car is running your alternator can re charge your battery. Since you are using a JL 500.1 which is a pretty good amp it runs at almost whats called "true power" which pulls a good amount of amperage i.e. AMP the installer should have recommended a capacitor or a CAP to save the alternator novices think its to save battery but its to save alternator. . .

+1! That's exactly what it is.