Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Ignition Source for CarPc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 PM
EmoPrairieDog

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Ignition Source for CarPc?

For those of you that have installed carpc's what have you connected to as your ignition source? Currently I'm installing this into the trunk using an m4-ATX power supply.. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM
voltic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapped off my fuse box... care to share your plans?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:52 AM
EmoPrairieDog

I was considering one of the fuse boxes as I imagined there is probably an empty fuse bay that would let me connect into the accessory on. Otherwise I was looking into something off of the Bose amp or cigarette lighter. ( I already have the power cable run from the battery). I was sniffing around with the multi-meter but didn't know if there was something easier I was missing for ignition sense.

As for plans...I'm hoping to integrate the overkill computer I made into the nav screen integrate some other peripherals (obd-ii,cameras, maybe radar) as I find time.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:12 PM
voltic

It's pretty easy, I just have a wire from the PC in my trunk to the driver side fuse box. I just have a wire pinched into a fuse that's hot while the car is running. There are fuse taps and splices you could use too, but mine is a temporary fix while I work on my video.

I hope you know what work you have cut out for you as far as getting video to work with the factory nav screen. Let alone touchscreen functionality if you're doing that.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
voltic

Example:

Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 PM
itisagoodname

Didn't have a meter at the time to check the voltage but i just pulled the ignition signal from the Bose amp in the trunk.

I plan to finish mine off by doing the screen the same way Modme did his install.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:47 PM
EmoPrairieDog

Voltic: I have been researching scan converters but haven't found one yet that doesn't have too many negative reviews on quality... For the touch screen I plan to do that at some point soon. I'm trying to tackle one thing at a time but its tough not to get excited and take on too many projects at once. I noticed Modme's notes on touch screen stuff perhaps I can go down a similar route. Did you integrate yours into the onboard nav?

Ah that fuse tap is nice and simple I fear that your fuse cover wouldn't close on any longer though...

itisagoodname:
I assume you used a wire tap to the "(10) Power/Key (Y)(Yellow)" on the b42 harness as noted in this thread?
Bose Audio Wiring Breakdown.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:59 PM
itisagoodname

Originally Posted by EmoPrairieDog
Voltic: I have been researching scan converters but haven't found one yet that doesn't have too many negative reviews on quality... For the touch screen I plan to do that at some point soon. I'm trying to tackle one thing at a time but its tough not to get excited and take on too many projects at once. I noticed Modme's notes on touch screen stuff perhaps I can go down a similar route. Did you integrate yours into the onboard nav?

Ah that fuse tap is nice and simple I fear that your fuse cover wouldn't close on any longer though...

itisagoodname:
I assume you used a wire tap to the "(10) Power/Key (Y)(Yellow)" on the b42 harness as noted in this thread?
Bose Audio Wiring Breakdown.
Thats correct. It triggers the the DC-DC controller that i have but i still havent taken the time to hook up my amp of finish up PC #2.

#1 I have one Ibase mb870 with the VIA cpu @1ghz which worked just fine. That was years ago and havent reinstalled it since.

#2 I built up another AMD dual core microATX pc that i just need a suitible case for.

Im using a Carnetix P1900 DC-DC PS/Startup-Shutdown controller with a 150W DC-DC PS from the Travla Case. (Just in case i pick up a nice lil mac mini on the cheap).

I also highly recommend Posi-Tap connectors, TOP NOTCH! http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html
Old 06-22-2011, 03:54 PM
voltic

Yes I am integrated into the factory nav using the same method Modme used. If you guys haven't looked at what is involved in tapping the internal touchscreen cable, I hope you have a moderate amount of small electronics experience. If you don't have the electronics know-how to pull it off, I suggest just getting an overlay and calling it good. Anyway, I'm using the same scan converter as he is, the ScanDo 800. I ran into an issue using a Mac Mini I had laying around... Minis don't seem to like to be put through a scan converter, so I'm building a small AMD Fusion based system, with one SSD and one 500GB disk, powered by a Carnetix P1900 to an Antec miniITX case. It's cheap and anything more than that is more than overkill anyway. I have the system stored under the trunk carpet inside the plastic housing to the right of the spare tire.

Edit: You're not going to find a scan converter that has good reviews on quality. You're converting incompatible video feeds, there's going to be some loss somewhere. Not to mention, the factory screen isn't exactly high res to begin with. Also, not all scan converters will work with the factory screen. I think it runs off of 15kHz or something weird.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:26 PM
EmoPrairieDog

That is the same place I dropped my box; its sad how much bigger the trunk could be if there were other places to jam all of these electronics. I recently saw one of the GT-R's and of all the things to be jealous of, I left spiteful at its trunk size.

I am decently familiar with the electronics portion and have a reliable resource (and this awesome forum!) if I get into a bind; but the part that scares me is yanking all of the moldings off to get it open.

I have been unsuccessful in locating a scan do 800, been watching ebay a little; for the time being I am trying out one from StarTech (VGA2VID). I'll give it a whirl and resell on Amazon if not.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:24 PM
voltic

All this PC talk just gave me bad luck, my desktop's CPU fan just blew a bearing and fried the processor. FML.

Anyway back on topic, what are you talking about, to open up the center console? That's easy, everything snaps together, I've done it like 20 times.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:30 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
How are you guys getting around the problem with the computer not having a proper shut down unless you manually shut the computer down before you turn off the car.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 PM
EmoPrairieDog

How are you guys getting around the problem with the computer not having a proper shut down unless you manually shut the computer down before you turn off the car.
I assume you mean just sensing the accessory-on which was what I was looking to hook up..If so check out the manuals and stuff here DC-DC ATX PSUs most of this line of psu's provide ignition settings to control proper startup and shutdown of the computer along with a programmable hardoff setting if your computer gets hung while shutting down. (I'm sure there are other manufacturers for this type of stuff can't say I've tried anything else). A lot of people use the m2-ATX but it depends on your needs.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:37 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EmoPrairieDog
I assume you mean just sensing the accessory-on which was what I was looking to hook up..If so check out the manuals and stuff here DC-DC ATX PSUs most of this line of psu's provide ignition settings to control proper startup and shutdown of the computer along with a programmable hardoff setting if your computer gets hung while shutting down. (I'm sure there are other manufacturers for this type of stuff can't say I've tried anything else). A lot of people use the m2-ATX but it depends on your needs.
Oh wow thanks this will definitely be useful for me in the future, never knew they make "smart" psu lol
Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM
voltic

I've done about 7 builds now, ranging from a beat up old Canadian Ford Explorer to an R34 GT-R. I do have another planned for a friend's Civic. I've stuck with only the M-ATX series and Carnetix line for various reasons. They're both affordable, great lines of automotive power supplies and you can't go wrong with them. The Carnetix series is a little more specialized as it doesn't feed an actual ATX power connector to the motherboard. They are geared more toward specific applications like cases with a 19VDC barrel connector, or Mac Minis, and have a jumper that you feed into the case that acts as the power button. Whatever you choose, make sure it has a startup/shutdown controller that will "push" your power button at ignition on.

I encourage you all to check out the mp3car forums for any questions non-specific to the G37 or Nissan/Infiniti in general as many of these questions have been asked before.

The mp3car store sells most of the big auto power supplies at good prices. Shipping is reasonable. mp3car Store, Power Supplies

Last edited by voltic; 06-22-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Fixed links.

Quick Reply: Ignition Source for CarPc?