Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM Radio Loses Activation

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 03:16 PM
nycjoker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question XM Radio Loses Activation

I have a G37x sedan which had a 3 month XM trial. After the trial expired I renewed the subscription. The problem is that when XM sends the activation signal to the car, the radio gets activated, and as soon as I turn off the car and back on again the activation is lost. Channels says "CH UNAUTHORIZED".

When I try to resend the signal from xmradio.com/refresh same behavior occurs - activated and the deactivated as soon as the car is off. I spoke to XM tech support for 2 weeks daily. They tried everything from deleting my account, deactivating the radio, and setting up everything from the scratch. Nothing has helped. I've kept the radio on for hours while it worked to make sure it activates but that has made no difference.

Does anyone have any idea? What's weird is the radio worked flawlessly for 3 months during the trial.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:36 AM
roots4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks. There must be some authentication thy use that is not working properly. It could also be a problem with the xm in your car. It's possible that the trial use a more open solution that does not use the same level of authentication which is why you may not have had issue on you trial period. Xm is part of the warranty so have infiniti handle it with XM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 PM
nycjoker

I tried to reset the radio system by unplugging the negative battery terminal overnight. However, the radio didn't reset (favorites were still there).

Does anyone know how to reset the audio system to factory settings?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Leave the car on channel 00 for about an hour and then see what that does long term.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 PM
nycjoker

Originally Posted by Fezzik
Leave the car on channel 00 for about an hour and then see what that does long term.
What's that supposed to do?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Leaving the radio on channel 00 does the activation for the radio. WHen you call xm or sirius they tell you to leave it on channell 00 for full activation. It usually works in about 30 mins but may take longer is what they said. i did that for 3 vehicles.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
nycjoker

Yea I've gone through that activation process. The car just doesn't store the activation in its memory. I verified I get all the channels. Once the car is off, everything is lost. I'm thinking there is a problem with the xm module. Anyone know how to disconnect it to reset it?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:16 AM
4drScreamer

I recommend taking it to Infiniti and have them deal with the module. It probably needs to be replaced.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 AM
s2ktoEvo

Xm's system is pretty sorry. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a problem with their activation system still getting the shutdown command from the expired trial.

To give you an idea of just how much XM sucks at this, I cancelled XM in 2006 on my old car radio and switch to sirius. 2 years later XM sent me a bill for $220 claiming I owed them for 2 years of service. After arguing with them for over a month they tried to get a creditor to get the money from me. After I threatened to sue them for fraud and $100k they dropped it.

When I bought my g37 xm was already activated. I have a 2008 I bought 6 months ago and I've never paid for XM. I'm sure some poor guy 2 years from now will get a bill for the radio even though he probably cancelled it.

Sirius is run better. Unfortunately they haven't integrated xm into sirius yet so you still have to deal with crappy xm service. They don't expect to begin transitioning it over for at least another year, and it'll probably take 2 years to complete.