Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2009 Voice Recognition - "Shut up, please!"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Voice Recognition - "Shut up, please!"

In my 2009 G sedan with Nav I am having a hard time believeing that with Alternate Voice command selected AND Minimize Voice Feedback selected, you still cannot issue simple commands without being interrupted by incessant nattering from the "lady."

All I want to do is be able to trigger the voice recognition, which requires one to wait for a prompt telling me it is activating (as if I couldn't figure that out when the screen changes to the voice prompt menu) and say "Call Bob" and have the car start dialing. Bob is in my Phonebook.

Instead, I discover that "call" and "dial" are not acceptable commands, but "Phonebook" is. OK, I can live with that--I just want to be able to say "Phonebook Bob" and have the car start dialing.

No, that is too simple. I must say "Phonebook" and then wait while the "lady" explains that my next step is to say a name from my Phonebook. The names are listed, with numbers beside them. However, the numbers cannot be used to activate the entries. OK, there is "Bob" in the list. I finally get to say "Bob" and now, instead of dialing the *^&%!#^& number, the "lady" informs me that I can say "Dial" (or "Dial number"--can't remember which it is?). This is very helpful because there is no other option other than "Dial." So after waiting to hear this redundant prompt, I say "dial" and finally the phone starts to dial.

How can this possibly be the abbreviated version of how to do this? I couldn't believe it and thought that I must be insane, so I switched it over to the "normal" mode and realized that, yes, it could actually be even stupider and slower.

I am under the impression than both earlier than 2009 and the 2010's have the ability to respond to a simple, single command of "Call Bob" or "Phonebook Bob" or "Dial Bob" (I could care less which one). Could one of you experts in all of this please confirm that the process I have to go through is in fact the shortest/simplest that is available (I really hope I am missing something or a setting somewhere) for 2009. And if the other years have a simpler process available.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 PM
2009Black

Feeling your pain in my 09 as well but I don't think the 2010's are any different. I'm pretty sure some lawyer somewhere is to blame.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Gee37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IIRC if you press the voice prompt button on the steering wheel while shes talking it'll shut her up and you can say the command you'd normally say once she finishes her explanation.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
mal_TX

My 2010 is ruined like this, too.

My 2008 coupe I could say "Phonebook Jennifer" and it would say "Dialing Jennifer..." and the next thing I would hear was the ringing of the phone. Ahhh.... there's at least one thing to miss about the old car!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah it sucks. I NEVER use mine in the last 2 years maybe twice.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:26 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont really use the voice command at all. but im pretty sure i can just say "call bob" and itll call, as long is i prerecorded my voice saying bob in my phonebook.

I have an 08 btw.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
I dont really use the voice command at all. but im pretty sure i can just say "call bob" and itll call, as long is i prerecorded my voice saying bob in my phonebook.

I have an 08 btw.
Why don't you rub it in to us newer model owners and try it to confirm
Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Pip

Originally Posted by Kidcane
Yeah it sucks. I NEVER use mine in the last 2 years maybe twice.
The only way it could be worse is if they switched the b!tch's voice to Roseanne Barr.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Marc Collins,
This topic was already discussed with you in detail in the thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ems-voice.html

Why are you asking the same question again?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 PM
netmag

I looked at that other thread and it doesn't seem that anyone with a 2009 or 2010 confirmed that they could say "Phonebook person" or "Call person".

In this thread though a guy mentions that in his 2010 "Phonebook person" doesn't work. However, it sounds like you have to record a voice tag for that to work, right? Maybe he didn't do that.

Anyway, it's somewhat disconcerting that the newer the model vehicle, the less useful the Voice Recognition feature seems to be. I peek in on these kinds of threads to see if the Voice Recognition (for NAV and Phonebook) is good enough to be useful when the car is in motion. I don't know if I want to bother hacking the vehicle to make selections while the car is in motion but I was kind of hoping Infiniti's voice recognition would make it so it wasn't a big deal. However, threads like this and the fact that most people here don't seem to use it, indicates that Infiniti's implementation of voice commands may not be anything special at least not in current models.

That's too bad because it could influence whether I would even consider getting the built in NAV. I was hoping the voice commands would be good enough to use to make NAV changes while the vehicle was in motion. Things like searching for nearby restaurants would be nice. From reading the NAV parts of the manual, it seems like you can do it (set a new destination or list nearby places), but I question whether it's efficient enough to use in real life driving.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by netmag
I looked at that other thread and it doesn't seem that anyone with a 2009 or 2010 confirmed that they could say "Phonebook person" or "Call person".

In this thread though a guy mentions that in his 2010 "Phonebook person" doesn't work. However, it sounds like you have to record a voice tag for that to work, right? Maybe he didn't do that.

Anyway, it's somewhat disconcerting that the newer the model vehicle, the less useful the Voice Recognition feature seems to be. I peek in on these kinds of threads to see if the Voice Recognition (for NAV and Phonebook) is good enough to be useful when the car is in motion. I don't know if I want to bother hacking the vehicle to make selections while the car is in motion but I was kind of hoping Infiniti's voice recognition would make it so it wasn't a big deal. However, threads like this and the fact that most people here don't seem to use it, indicates that Infiniti's implementation of voice commands may not be anything special at least not in current models.

That's too bad because it could influence whether I would even consider getting the built in NAV. I was hoping the voice commands would be good enough to use to make NAV changes while the vehicle was in motion. Things like searching for nearby restaurants would be nice. From reading the NAV parts of the manual, it seems like you can do it (set a new destination or list nearby places), but I question whether it's efficient enough to use in real life driving.
I covered these points in the other thread. Realizing that the voice command list may differ in early ’08’, later ‘08’s and 09’s, I suggested:

If you have phonebook voicetags set up then perhaps your problem is that this command was taken out in later ‘08’s. Mine is an early ‘08 so I can’t really tell if you have it or not. But you may want to check if you have the Phonebook (voicetag) command by pressing the Info button, Voice Recognition, Command List and then Phone. If you have it, it will be listed there.
And yes, all voicetags (for both phone and destination use) have to be recorded before they can be used.

As far as using voice commands to input destinations while moving, I use it quite often. Once in a while it misses a number on a street address, but it does work, and is certainly safer than some other alternatives. On searching for restaurants by voice command only, I’ll have research that. I know you can do it by buttons that I also covered in another thread.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by Chekov
Marc Collins,
This topic was already discussed with you in detail in the thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ems-voice.html

Why are you asking the same question again?

Because in the other thread you informed me I was wrong, despite you not having a 2009 car to confirm one way or the other. Turns out you were wrong. So you replied over there with a wrong answer, when you should have stayed out of the conversation and now you are doing the same thing again here.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by mal_TX
My 2010 is ruined like this, too.

My 2008 coupe I could say "Phonebook Jennifer" and it would say "Dialing Jennifer..." and the next thing I would hear was the ringing of the phone. Ahhh.... there's at least one thing to miss about the old car!
Thanks for confirming the "upgrade" we got in the '09's and '10's. I wonder what rationale Infiniti uses to justify how this is an improvement? What are the odds they would restore the old functionality? 0%?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Because in the other thread you informed me I was wrong, despite you not having a 2009 car to confirm one way or the other. Turns out you were wrong. So you replied over there with a wrong answer, when you should have stayed out of the conversation and now you are doing the same thing again here.
Please explain where I was wrong and why my suggestion on how to ascertain what voicetags you have in your ‘09 is not helpful, as I‘m always willing to learn.

As for my staying out of the conversation, I believe I have every right to make a comment on what I thought was an unexplainable redundancy on a matter that was apparently answered in another thread.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by netmag
As promised, here’s what you may be able to do:

If you have the Destination Nearby (POI) command you can just enter Destination Restaurant (while moving ) and a numbered list will come up of nearby eateries. The voice will then ask you to enter a number. After you do, the system will initiate guidance to that restaurant. If you don’t have that command, maybe you have the Destination Nearby Places command. Then there’s the extra step of entering what kind of nearby place you want from a numbered list (Restaurants, Gas stations, Hotels, ATM’s Rest Areas), but it will still function while moving.

Again, they work in my early ‘08, and I don’t really know what commands there are in later models, but ascertaining what commands you do have, as mentioned in prior threads, you can find out if they will work for you. Let me know if you’re successful.

Quick Reply: 2009 Voice Recognition - "Shut up, please!"