Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Android and/or other USB devices in the 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android and/or other USB devices in the 2010?

Anyone try an android phone (specifically the nexus one) or any other USB devices in the 2010 other than an iphone? I'm curious to see how they work.

Also, anyone know if the the infiniti interface uses digital or analog data from an ipod?

I'm thinking of putting a bunch of mp3s onto my 16gb flash drive and seeing how the G system scans and arranges the music on there.

I'm also curious how it works with android. The USB interface doesn't work with a sandisk sansa fuze though, but I think that's becuase the fuze presents itself as two usb mass storage devices (the on board memory and the micro SDHC memory). Not sure if android phones do the same or not.

I'm a little disappointed that the 2010 got rid of the analog aux-in. Who knows how long a2dp will stick around, or what changes might be in store for generic USB devices in the future.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:49 PM
lrcasey

Originally Posted by dopey
Anyone try an android phone (specifically the nexus one) or any other USB devices in the 2010 other than an iphone? I'm curious to see how they work.

Also, anyone know if the the infiniti interface uses digital or analog data from an ipod?

I'm thinking of putting a bunch of mp3s onto my 16gb flash drive and seeing how the G system scans and arranges the music on there.

I'm also curious how it works with android. The USB interface doesn't work with a sandisk sansa fuze though, but I think that's becuase the fuze presents itself as two usb mass storage devices (the on board memory and the micro SDHC memory). Not sure if android phones do the same or not.

I'm a little disappointed that the 2010 got rid of the analog aux-in. Who knows how long a2dp will stick around, or what changes might be in store for generic USB devices in the future.
I'm picking up my 2010 G37 next week and I also have a Fuze and an Android phone. Did you have any luck getting them to work for you?

Thanks.
-Larry
Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 AM
lrcasey

Originally Posted by lrcasey
I'm picking up my 2010 G37 next week and I also have a Fuze and an Android phone. Did you have any luck getting them to work for you?

Thanks.
-Larry
Did you happen to try removing the micro SD card and seeing if the Sansa Fuze would then work?

Thanks.
-Larry
Old 08-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Noremac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dopey
The interface is USB, which is all digital (except for its DC power).
Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM
IP-G37S

I have a 2010 (non-nav) and a Sprint HTC HERO - When I try to use the Aux feature I get Error Reading File or something to that effect.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Clutchr6

has anyone else had luck connecting a flash drive with mp3's with success what format etc.

C'mon guys help us out
Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Noremac
The interface is USB, which is all digital (except for its DC power).
Sorry, I asked the wrong question there. I didn't mean digital or analog, but rather encoded or decoded. I'm not certain if the apple AiR protocol (I think that's what the infiniti interface ends up using) allows the ipod to pass either the decoded (wav/PCM) data or if it also allows the device to stream the mp3 allowing the car to decode it. Basically, wondering which device, the ipod or the car, processes the original mp3 file itself. I'm guessing it takes in the wav/PCM stream since the ipod supports formats that the infiniti stereo doesn't.

I forgot I made this post, but since then I've tested out my Nexus One and I haven't gotten it to work. The problem I think is a timing issue. It takes android phones a little extra time to go into "disk mode" and the generic USB port on the infiniti is only intended to support the iphone AiR protocol, or a USB mass storage device.

Bluetooth A2DP works fine though, and with froyo it seems the AVRCP profile works fine as well now.
BU
Old 08-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Clutchr6

so a flash drive will work??
Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 PM
ushkand

Disable USB debugging

Disable USB debugging and select connect as Disk Drive under "connect to PC" options on your android phone and you should see audio files from your sd card in your G37. I have an Evo and was getting the "Check connected device" or something to that effect until I unchecked the 'enable USB debugging. Hopefully the same should work on other android devices.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
breaker05

One thing to note, I found it somewhere else on this site, but the flash drive must be FAT32 formatted since the default NTFS doesn't work some reason. Also, the order of the music is however you have it on your drive, at least that is how it turned out to be for me.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 PM
ushkand

Originally Posted by ushkand
Disable USB debugging and select connect as Disk Drive under "connect to PC" options on your android phone and you should see audio files from your sd card in your G37. I have an Evo and was getting the "Check connected device" or something to that effect until I unchecked the 'enable USB debugging. Hopefully the same should work on other android devices.
An addition to the above solution to have your G37 recognize your Android phone's external storage -

You need to have the USB debugging on initially when you connect the phone. Once you select disk drive as the connection method, THEN disable USB debugging. I have tried it a few times this way and it always worked.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:16 PM
LiquidPlatg37S

I have an og moto Droid and a 2010 sedan and 2010 coupe... in both cars Bluetooth streaming is the way to go if u want to run the music from ur phone on flash drives I have a 16 gB geek squad flash in both cars and I am using wma format it works just fine it take a while for initial loading time but after that werks just like any mp3 player
Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 AM
jshin37S

Hey Op, you're right about the timing issue. So for the Nexus One, you can un-mount your SD card before connecting it the car's USB. The option to enable usb storage will come on right away, allowing the car to see your media files.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:17 PM
irukandjia

I'm having the same problem. I have a droid x. Anyone know where to disable USB debugging on the X? Or if there is an alternate solution?

Found it. Sorry.

But... it doesn't help. Still getting the "check connected device" error. Very frustrating. I'm just getting a micro-sd usb reader. I have my music on my phone, so. I guess I'll just pull the card out when I"m driving. Very annoying. For such an expensive car for it to be so unfriendly. That was one of the features I liked about the car too. I'm pretty irritated by it.

Last edited by irukandjia; 01-05-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:58 AM
maxfinity

I just used my 16gb flash drive with Music and stuck it in the port. Takes forever to load but it works. I tried plugging my samsung vibrant into the port but got the "Check USB Device" message. i haven't tried the usb debugging though. Ill try that later today. I can also use the bluetooth audio. The only problem with that is I would have to look at the phone to find a specific phone because no playlist info shows on the screen.

Quick Reply: Android and/or other USB devices in the 2010?