Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Android and/or other USB devices in the 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:09 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by irukandjia
I'm having the same problem. I have a droid x. Anyone know where to disable USB debugging on the X? Or if there is an alternate solution?

Found it. Sorry.

But... it doesn't help. Still getting the "check connected device" error. Very frustrating. I'm just getting a micro-sd usb reader. I have my music on my phone, so. I guess I'll just pull the card out when I"m driving. Very annoying. For such an expensive car for it to be so unfriendly. That was one of the features I liked about the car too. I'm pretty irritated by it.
My original droid used to work using the usb port until infiniti came out with the NAV update (the one before fixing call waiting). It killed the usb port and the only device working for me is an iTouch that I recently purchased. I was really pissed about that and my infiniti dealer hasn't found a solution. I am already taking this up with Nissan corporate.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 AM
Branman36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going through USB is assuming too many hardware and software syncing capabilities between a car and a device. With their first gen and first stab at incorporating USB into the G37 technology, there is no way we can expect this to recognize and plug n play across various platforms; ie apple, android, windows, etc.

Really the only thing it can do is deliver power and recognize USB storage devices. If the boot, read and i/o times are slow (people were saying it takes about 15 seconds to read), then let the device do the heavy lifting and let the car audio system do the audio. The devices and phones now-a-days are catching up to laptops. The new HTC will have a dual core processor running over a 4G network. Think of the car as your Amplifier and sound system. It will simply handle the audio and video inputs. Connect the device with the RCA jacks for video and audio and let the super phone worry about the rest. I have a 30Gb chip in my phone for audio and video, stream Pandora Internet radio, utilize the phone's built in navigation (which is much easier to update), talk over bluetooth, etc. A what, $2-4k package for the price of a $3 miniplug to RCA cable?

I do however have to say this does mean NOT going through the car's interface. Fumbling around with a phone while driving is never good. I got a mount for it and its great.

Point: the phones these days have all the technology in them you need and more. Technology packages are expensive. If you don't have them you absolutely can still enjoy modern technology as thank god the G37 has audio and video input jacks.

Last edited by Branman36; 01-21-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Chico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Branman36
Going through USB is assuming too many hardware and software syncing capabilities between a car and a device. With their first gen and first stab at incorporating USB into the G37 technology, there is no way we can expect this to recognize and plug n play across various platforms; ie apple, android, windows, etc.

Really the only thing it can do is deliver power and recognize USB storage devices. If the boot, read and i/o times are slow (people were saying it takes about 15 seconds to read), then let the device do the heavy lifting and let the car audio system do the audio. The devices and phones now-a-days are catching up to laptops. The new HTC will have a dual core processor running over a 4G network. Think of the car as your Amplifier and sound system. It will simply handle the audio and video inputs. Connect the device with the RCA jacks for video and audio and let the super phone worry about the rest. I have a 30Gb chip in my phone for audio and video, stream Pandora Internet radio, utilize the phone's built in navigation (which is much easier to update), talk over bluetooth, etc. A what, $2-4k package for the price of a $3 miniplug to RCA cable?

I do however have to say this does mean NOT going through the car's interface. Fumbling around with a phone while driving is never good. I got a mount for it and its great.

Point: the phones these days have all the technology in them you need and more. Technology packages are expensive. If you don't have them you absolutely can still enjoy modern technology as thank god the G37 has audio and video input jacks.
The G37 doesn't have the RCA inputs anymore.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Branman36

Yikes! what inputs are there now? USB and apple i Link? Sorry guys. And my first thumbs down to Infiniti
Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
wait...the nav update (recent one) fixed the calling waiting issue? does anyone else have a galaxy phone? i'm beginning to think it's my PHONE and not the car...hm? my android phone doesn't work with the usb; never did.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 AM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Branman36
Yikes! what inputs are there now? USB and apple i Link? Sorry guys. And my first thumbs down to Infiniti
USB with support for Apple AiR protocol for ipods/iphones and bluetooth A2DP. No more RCA jacks. i'm kind of disappointed at that since it's really the most "universal", but A2DP seems to work fairly well now.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
hotdawwgman
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
so basically If I plug my Android phone into this plug, I must click the de-bug button? And what about this Bluetooth A2DP, does this work. I am having a issue with this?!?!?!?!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hotdawwgman
so basically If I plug my Android phone into this plug, I must click the de-bug button? And what about this Bluetooth A2DP, does this work. I am having a issue with this?!?!?!?!
With the USB debugging YMMV.
My theory is that it's a timing issue. The Infiniti system supports generic USB mass storage devices with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem (anyone if it supports NTFS, not that it's relevant to android devices) and some limitations on size I think.

Android devices when put into USB storage mode present themselves as a USB mass storage device. However, most android phones require manually putting it into USB storage mode which apparently takes long enough that the Infiniti system decides that there's a problem.

If it can "wake" in mass storage mode fast enough, the G can read it as a mass storage device. Some other enterprising individuals have found that putting it into debug mode seems to help, but it's still a mixed bag.

Otherwise bluetooth A2DP is basically a wireless protocol using bluetooth to do CD-quality stereo audio and provide remote control functionality.
The quality is decent, but once again YMMV may vary. The quality depends on the bluetooth stack of the device, the signal itself, and also since the bluetooth A2DP codec is a lossy codec you may get generational loss if playing back another lossy format like mp3/ogg/aac.

I've used it with my Nexus One and Nexus S phones and A2DP works fine for me.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM
diablofreak

Originally Posted by dopey
With the USB debugging YMMV.
My theory is that it's a timing issue. The Infiniti system supports generic USB mass storage devices with a FAT/FAT32 filesystem (anyone if it supports NTFS, not that it's relevant to android devices) and some limitations on size I think.

Android devices when put into USB storage mode present themselves as a USB mass storage device. However, most android phones require manually putting it into USB storage mode which apparently takes long enough that the Infiniti system decides that there's a problem.

If it can "wake" in mass storage mode fast enough, the G can read it as a mass storage device. Some other enterprising individuals have found that putting it into debug mode seems to help, but it's still a mixed bag.

Otherwise bluetooth A2DP is basically a wireless protocol using bluetooth to do CD-quality stereo audio and provide remote control functionality.
The quality is decent, but once again YMMV may vary. The quality depends on the bluetooth stack of the device, the signal itself, and also since the bluetooth A2DP codec is a lossy codec you may get generational loss if playing back another lossy format like mp3/ogg/aac.

I've used it with my Nexus One and Nexus S phones and A2DP works fine for me.
but isnt a2dp profile only available in the Nav package? (I just bought a 2011 g37x and I don't seem to recall a2dp available for my phone) so you're still SOL if you want to stream online music (Pandora) via your phone 3G or 4G connection, unless you overpay for the technology/nav package.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 AM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by diablofreak
but isnt a2dp profile only available in the Nav package? (I just bought a 2011 g37x and I don't seem to recall a2dp available for my phone) so you're still SOL if you want to stream online music (Pandora) via your phone 3G or 4G connection, unless you overpay for the technology/nav package.
Maybe. This is where and I will disagree. The tech/nav package might be expensive, but I find the functionality to be useful to have and thus don't think it's overpaying.

I'm quite happy I bought the nav package since if it's what gave my a2dp, all the better
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My Android phone (droid 2) works fine via bluetooth. I have used my ipod touch 4th gen and had no problems with any of the operations (that I've noticed!).
Old 03-13-2011, 11:16 AM
bob61

I have a Droid X, have found it hit or miss (mostly miss) with connecting USB to G37 nav system. First time I plugged it in it read the memory/files without a problem. Since then it's been about 10 times plugging in the device for 1 successful connection. Def seems like a timing issue, but for now I'm just use the bluetooth, appears to work fine, plus other apps work great then too (such as Pandora). USB would be nice to have functional, especially considering the cost of the nav system.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Dont know if anyone has noticed, but when using Pandora the track up button on the steering wheel actually works to skip to the next song. I just assumed the whole setup wasnt smart enough, but tried the button for the heck of it today and was pleasantly surprised.

If Im a little late to the party on that one, sorry

I have a heavily modded Samsung Fascinate, and the latest ROM/kernel Ive tried is giving me excellent bluetooth performance. The phone connects very quickly, even if the car is already running before its turned on.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
WhiteNite

Chris11LE...yeah, I just figured that out myself. I nice "feature".

I haven't experienced any real issues with my iPhone4 connecting via USB or Bluetooth to listen to audio (iPod or Pandora). I am pretty amazed at how fast my phone connects to the car's phone system though. I am a bit diappointed in the car's ability to access my phone's phonebook but it could be because I have over 1,000 contacts/numbers in there. :/
Old 10-15-2011, 03:11 PM
skiingj

Disappointed that I cannot connect my Samsung Galaxy SII to my 2011 G37 w/Nav via USB for audio. It’s charges fine but that’s it. I’ve tried the ‘USB Debug” fix as others have mentioned with no luck. I agree what others have said that it appears to time out/give up soon after connecting.

With a car this expensive this shouldn’t be a problem. I will ask the service department next month but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Anyone have any luck? Suggestions?

Quick Reply: Android and/or other USB devices in the 2010?