Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Cell Phone Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:13 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
I have this one too.
It seems pretty versatile and it holds the window like it's got a glass fetish.

Only thing is I just can't find a location where it's really out of the way enough for my line of sight, and still reachable to operate my Waze which I use for all drives. Unlike my FX and my QX4, I look through every square inch of the windshield when driving hard. There's no HUD place where it's not in my way looking ahead into a turn.

I currently have it hanging just over and above my left vent... and quickly discovered...I'm not a lefty so poking songs or dropping reports into waze is too hard.

I bought a Wally-world vent holder. Meh. it dosen't sit right. rocks too much.

Its a trade off really. Having it near the windshield is easier access, and not having to take my eyes far from the road. Plus the camera can be used as a dash cam or for a quick snapshot. But it's always in my LOS. Having it on the vent, so far isn't solid enough but I'm sure I can get something that works, just have to give up the camera.

The CD holder seems sharp but it also blocks the classic dash clock. Everyone who's ever been in my car or trucks comments on the clock. Honestly I like it too.

What I *really* want is a way to steer all the iphone functions to the Nav touch screen...for that I'd gladly give up the camera.

Originally Posted by Landshark
i use the iOttie One Touch - the suction cup is made of silicone "grippy" material, and the suction is strong. it will grip to textured dashboards and even slight curves (as long as the dash isn't slathered in greasy protectant). i had it mounted to the *side* of the instrument pod of my last car and it didn't budge.

i don't have it mounted all the time because i don't like clutter - just for when i need Nav from my phone when i don't trust the maps in my 2013 - map data is probably from 2011 or so.

i attach it right on top of the instrument pod at eye level, because down lower is too distracting/dangerous.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:23 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by bikezilla
I have this one too.
It seems pretty versatile and it holds the window like it's got a glass fetish.

Only thing is I just can't find a location where it's really out of the way enough for my line of sight, and still reachable to operate my Waze which I use for all drives. Unlike my FX and my QX4, I look through every square inch of the windshield when driving hard. There's no HUD place where it's not in my way looking ahead into a turn.
when i use it, it goes on the dash to the right of the instrument pod. easy to reach, doesn't block anything or affect visibility at all ... unless maybe you're 3 feet tall.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:22 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
when i use it, it goes on the dash to the right of the instrument pod. easy to reach, doesn't block anything or affect visibility at all ... unless maybe you're 3 feet tall.

I like that position, how did you get it to stick to your dashtop?
I tried it there even with the stick-on pad and it wouldn't grip.

Maybe I have to use an alcohol wipe to strip the protectant?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:30 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by bikezilla
Maybe I have to use an alcohol wipe to strip the protectant?
absolutely - it wont stick to greasy protectant. wipe it down, then its solid as a rock.