Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Ipod connected while car is turned off

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:10 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod connected while car is turned off

Hi,

I installed a UPAC module on the G37 to integrate my ipod, however when i turn the car off it continues to charge the ipod.... When it's complete the ipod changes it's mode to "Charge Completed" but remains turned on.

Any workaround so I don't have to unplug my ipod , to make sure the battery doesnt drain?
Old 08-08-2009, 02:12 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

quoted from apple site

Question: Should I leave iPod connected to the charger or in the dock whenever I'm not using it?
Answer: The battery stops charging when it's full. Leaving it connected won't charge it any more. It's perfectly OK to leave it connected so it can charge overnight, for example.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:31 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
the iPod isn't charging when your car is completely off, but it will just stay on
Old 08-08-2009, 04:15 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

but if it stays on and lets say the battery has no charge, won't it continuously charge and drain the battery?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Ryuken09

Originally Posted by kkokko
but if it stays on and lets say the battery has no charge, won't it continuously charge and drain the battery?
From what I've heard, you are correct. I've tried this with my iPhone 3G and it stops charging when the car is turned off. I use a passport to enable 3G charging, BTW.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

I'm confused, my ipod still shows that the cable is plugged in, even when the car is shut off? how much current does the ipod draw when it's completed charging? is it safe to leave it plugged in w/o draining the car battery?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you've just discovered the neurotic way that the ipod works in our cars. Once you plug it in and turn on the power, the ipod won't shut off. It will charge when you are driving, but will eventually wear down to zero battery power. When you start up in the mornings, your sound system will automatically swap to the ipod once the ipod starts charging again regardless of the music source you are using. This is usually 10-15 seconds after you start the car. Brilliant huh? There doesn't appear to be a fix. I'm using an "approved" ipod version, so it isn't my ipod which, by the way, works absolutely fine in my Alpine unit in my other car. If you really want to see something strange, just turn off your car and let the ipod display go from the infiniti banner to your ipod menu. Then, unplug your ipod and set it somewhere for a while and see how it won't turn off by itself. Just proves that there is a problem since ipods are designed to power down when not connected. It's a huge disappointment since the ipod is the most convenient way to manage music.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

so let me get this straignt, the ipod integration that comes with premium g37s, when your car is turned off , the ipod will still be turned on and say "chargee complete" w/o backlight?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

so let me get this straignt, the ipod integration that comes with premium g37s, when your car is turned off , the ipod will still be turned on and say "chargee complete" w/o backlight?
No. When the car is on, you'll get the Infiniti emblem showing that the unit is interfacing with the car. When you turn the car off, the base ipod menu appears and stays on with no backlight. It's on and not charging. It will wear down the battery in a few days, then, every time you start the car, the head gear will automatically switch over to ipod once the totally dead ipod starts to come back to life now that it has juice again. Say you leave the car on FM when you shut it off. The next morning if the ipod has discharged, you'll get FM for 10-15 seconds, then the system will switch sources to ipod without you touching a thing. It's poor engineering to say the least with no apparent fix. The only way to keep it from happening is to disconnect the ipod, or just power it down (like you would if you were using it in standalone mode) after the car is turned off.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

hm.. I see, thanks for that explanation. I'm using the UPAC module which integrates the Ipod to XM radio... with that it provides a continuous charge to my ipod even when car is shut off. So it's consistently charging even when turned off =(
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

hm.. I see, thanks for that explanation. I'm using the UPAC module which integrates the Ipod to XM radio... with that it provides a continuous charge to my ipod even when car is shut off. So it's consistently charging even when turned off =(
Hmmm...can you change the power source of the new module to just make it switched - or just when the ignition is on? I wouldn't want the ipod to be charging while the car was off.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

nope it looks like it plugs into the factory radio harness

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_010609.pdf