Sponsored by:

Dealer damaged car while getting oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 01:23 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
i wouldn't even worry about the body repairs the dealer is going to do for your car. they fessed up to the damage and have every intention to make you whole. stuff like this happens at the dealer quite often especially when the car is handled by the porters or wash crew. the dealer is not going to send your car to some 3 world hack job body shop. they will either send it to their in house body shop if they have one, or a body shop which they have business relations with for other body repair work needed by customers.
Not totally true. I had an Acura which had both front and rear bumpers repainted by the dealer. It looked fantastic until a few months later.... the front bumper paint got so chipped the whole thing looked polka dotted. They must have done some cheap crap paint job on it.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:39 AM
slowsocalg35
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, I have nothing new to report. The body shop still has my car.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:26 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Not totally true. I had an Acura which had both front and rear bumpers repainted by the dealer. It looked fantastic until a few months later.... the front bumper paint got so chipped the whole thing looked polka dotted. They must have done some cheap crap paint job on it.
the reason u got a shi tty paint job on the bumpers was because the paint job was done by a mobile touch up paint company that usually swings by the dealer to do simple repairs. their work is shoddy depending on the vendor the dealer uses. the original poster stated the side of his ride was damage which to me sounds like extensive body work. this job would get sent to the body shop. theres no way in hell the mobile paint repair vendor is going to do body work on metal components on a car, they are there for the quick fix paint jobs on plastic trims, bumpers, and interior touch ups.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:30 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
^When I took my G35 for the headlights recall, they scratched my fender. They took it to a nearby bodyshop. 3 weeks later, the clearcoat starting to peel....

Took it back to the dealer, and the fender was once again repainted. This time, it was perfect.

Good thing about dealership is, the work is warrantied no matter who touched it.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:11 AM
Habbibie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think you did the right thing and acted properly to the situation. I would've done the same, though I would ask the dealer not to report the incident to carfax so it's not to effect the resale value of the car down the road. You could call them and ask if it is or not getting reported, but as others said the dealer regardless if they have their own body shop or associate with an off site repair shop the work will have warranty.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:40 AM
slowsocalg35
Registered Member

Well its been two weeks. Car has been sent back to the body shop twice now: Got the dent out of the front door but not the rear door, dimples in the paint, passenger side window now makes weird noise when opening and closing. Repeatedly asked the service advisor how it looked and if the windows worked before driving out. Was told it was perfect. Obviously they didn't even check.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:05 AM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I cringe every time i hand over my keys to anyone. That's why I do whatever I can myself, especially simple stuff like oil changes. Good luck with getting everything fixed right.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:30 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by LexiG37
I cringe every time i hand over my keys to anyone. That's why I do whatever I can myself, especially simple stuff like oil changes. Good luck with getting everything fixed right.
This x100^^^
Really sorry to hear what you're going through. Sounds like you've been taking the high road through all of this, might be time to turn off the high road and kick up some gravel.
G/L
The following users liked this post:
krazyfiend (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 02:11 PM
bri

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by slowsocalg35
Well its been two weeks. Car has been sent back to the body shop twice now: Got the dent out of the front door but not the rear door, dimples in the paint, passenger side window now makes weird noise when opening and closing. Repeatedly asked the service advisor how it looked and if the windows worked before driving out. Was told it was perfect. Obviously they didn't even check.

sorry to hear that. which socal dealer is this? better make sure I stay way.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:56 PM
slowsocalg35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bri
sorry to hear that. which socal dealer is this? better make sure I stay way.
I don't want to say till after I get my car back. No use in making things worse.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
I don't want to say till after I get my car back. No use in making things worse.
Wise choice.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:45 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
i'm not reading this entire thread but I had something kinda similar. I had a 2013 Tundra crewmax last summer I was getting lifted with some bigger tires. they took the truck to les schwab for a proper balance since the Toyota dealer didn't have a machine big enough. Idiot at Schwab backed my truck into another customers car. Jacked their car up but put only a few scratches in mine. I got estimates from Toyota on fixing EVERYTHING including paint and it came out to $2k. almost as much as the lift/tires. the damage was barely noticeable so I pocketed the money and never got it fixed. But if I had, I would have claimed it on insurance, pocketed the $2k and paid my $150 deductible...... but probably can't do any of that now.

FWIW - if they ever tell you to get 3 estimates tell them to pound it. I get ONE and that's a factory authorized retailer of the make of car that got screwed up. I'm not asking JimBob's Body Shop what it would cost to do anything on my car. Les Schwab corporate backed down quick.

Great, you got a loaner car. what's your time / inconvenience worth? I'd say at least the next major service.

dealer I bought my G37 from a few weeks back promised to get the cover for my truck. never did. day I moved out and couldn't transport it I called and said come get it or it's gone. they offered me $325 in "service credit" IN WRITING, to bring it to them......

personally sounds like you got screwed. Sorry for the novel. my fingers type faster than my brain thinks.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Any update on your g?